Simple button to advance cuelist?

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
NukeTheFox

I'd like to use a simple button as a "Go" to advance the steps on a sequence or a chaser.
I know simple buttons are just "toggle". Is there a way to do somethin like this? It'd be very useful...
doubt3.png
MichelSliepenbeek

If i had the money i would buy a GrandMa. :) :idea:

Attached you will find an example of how i made something simular with QLC and an Elation Midicon.
It all starts with a Cue List and a Fader in Submaster Mode.
The Cue List is controlled by the 3 LoopBack Buttons on the left.

The fader has a Midicon Slider attached as External Control, the Play, Pause and Next Buttons use the A,B and C buttons above that slider as External Control.

Note that the Pause Button works as Top, when the Chaser is not running.
Attachments
Executor.jpg
Loopback-EasyExample5.qxi
(571 Bytes) Downloaded 61 times
Loopback Easy Example 5.qxw
(9.04 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
MichelSliepenbeek

Use attached Pics as background for the buttons.
Attachments
player_play.png
player_play.png (1.15 KiB) Viewed 935 times
player_pause.png
player_pause.png (1.95 KiB) Viewed 935 times
forward.png
forward.png (1.34 KiB) Viewed 935 times
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
NukeTheFox

Thanks for the idea... The thing is I don't have any external controller, I have a touch screen where I wanted to put the Virtual Console. I guess, then there is no option to do that with the simple buttons, since they are just toggle...

Something like this is what I wanted to do on the Virtual Console. It would be nice if the buttons had more options to choose between... (just a suggestion ; )
suggestion.png
suggestion.png (3.78 KiB) Viewed 919 times
MichelSliepenbeek

The buttons also work on a touch screen.

I should have spent a litlle more time on it however, the buttons do not work if the slider is all the way down.
That is because they are in the same frame as the Submaster.

In this version the Cue List and Slider are in a Frame and the Buttons are placed "on top off" that frame.

Please explain what you expect from the "Learn" button?
Attachments
Loopback Easy Example 5b.qxw
(9.64 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
GGGss

My gust say: learn is to set tempo.
The OP is mimicking a real desk. Top: go to the beginning of the cue stack, Go= proceed one step, slider = set value for (intensity / group / ...) Flash set momentary value for (intensity/group/...) to max. Learn: set tempo.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
MichelSliepenbeek

I guess, then there is no option to do that with the simple buttons, since they are just toggle...
If you have a closer look to the example, you will notice that the Play, Pause and Next Buttons do use a Sequence which is set up to "Run Once".
So they will only stay ON for the Run Time (in this case 60 mS) and then turn itself OFF.

learn is to set tempo.

Like Please is Enter. :) :)
NukeTheFox

Okay, let me see if I understood this well...

1. There is a generic dimmer on universe 3.
2. Universe 1 is receiving the Loopback from universe 3.
3. That generic dimmer is in a sequence that goes from 0 to 255.
4. The simple buttons are triggering the sequence.
5. ¿ That sequence is triggering the buttons of the "cue list" widget ?

If this is how it works, it makes a lot of sense, and it is a great idea.
MichelSliepenbeek

1. There is a generic dimmer on universe 3.
For Loopback you should use a separate Universe, which in this case is Universe 3.

In this Universe you need to define the channels you are using,.
Most cases you will do this with a Generic Dimmer, but you can also use the Fixture Definition Editor to create specific profiles.
You might want to do this if you want to use specific functions like 16-bit dimming (define a fixture with 2 channels and define them as Coarse and Fine), XY Pad control (define a fixture with 2 channels and define them as Pan and Tilt), Color Selector (define a fixture with 3 channels: R, G and B) etc.
Apart from that you can also use LTP/HTP logic and Channel Modifiers on a loopback channel as if it were "a regular channel".

In order to use the loopback channels as input in another universe and to be able to assign them as External Control, you will also need an Input Profile.
Here you give your loopback channel a "meaningfull" name and you define the Type (Slider or Button).
Notice that if you want to use your loopback channel as a button (which has only 2 values: On and Off), you still need a channel ( with values 0 .. 255).

3. That generic dimmer is in a sequence that goes from 0 to 255.
In most cases it will also work if you use a Simple Scene (that sets the channel to 255), but i have learned that using a sequence with a Low and a High Value is more stable.
It is important to understand that the sequence is defined as "Run Once".

If You add another loopback channel (set it up as a Button) and attach it as External Control to the Tap function of a Speed Dial you have also created your Learn Button.
Like this:
Attachments
(648 Bytes) Downloaded 71 times
Loopback Easy Example 5c.qxw
(11.73 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
NukeTheFox

Thank you so much!
MichelSliepenbeek

For some reason the Play and Learn Sequences had more than one Fixture (Loopback Channel) selected.
I noticed this and deleted the unwanted Fixtures, but for some reason they keep coming back.

I deleted those 2 sequences and created them again.
This example should work fine.
Attachments
(648 Bytes) Downloaded 62 times
Loopback Easy Example 5d.qxw
(11.64 KiB) Downloaded 74 times