Midi controller mapping question.

Ask a question related to the QLC+ 5.x usage here.
Provide as much details as you can, especially what you would like to achieve and if available, a sample workspace of your work in progress
karrika

I just bought a cheap Omnitronic Fap-9 Midi controller that is not supported yet.
fap-9.jpg
This will be connected to a Raspberry Pi system with a 15.6" touch screen. The DMX is handled by a DiscoHAT card. So no mice or keyboards...

The plan is to write an input profile for this controller and use it with the virtual desk.

This controller also has a master volume slider and it has some kind of banking scheme that should let you re-use sliders for different banks.

Is there some examples of how to use external midi controllers while setting up the scenes? Or do I have to rely on touch screen sliders?

It would be nice to have two setups:
- real time control of lights and music when you build up the lights/sound
- simple virtual screen where you can just time the transitions from the stage by pressing some hidden buttons. I would like to have master volume, all lights on, blackout from the midi console. We won't have any technician during perfomances.
MichelSliepenbeek

Maybe this video will help you: https://youtu.be/OoRkQamAMdE

I also came across this one: https://youtu.be/rAX1nDAZn0c
The brand is different but the device is the same. If the set up tool still is available, it just might work on your controller as well.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
karrika

Thanks, I had a look at the videos. The chase buttons made sense to me. And creating the virtual console seems simple. Obviously some buttons can be programmed to toggle vs momentary. That is good to know.
MichelSliepenbeek

it has some kind of banking scheme that should let you re-use sliders for different banks.
Unfortunately the Bank Button does not send a midi signal, so within QLC you never know which of the 4 possible scenes is active.
That's why i would not use it (to avoid confusion make sure that scene1 , 2 , 3 and 4 all are the same, by copying scene1 to 2, 3 and 4. That way, if you press the Bank button by mistake, you will not get "unwanted surprises").

There is a better way to reuse sliders and buttons: you can use a multi page frame.
You can use the "Freely assignable buttons" (the two buttons on the bottom row, next to Bank) as Next and Previous to scroll through the pages of your multi page Frame.
As within QLC only the page that is "On Top" is active, you can (just as an example) assign slider 1 and 2 of your controller on Page 1 to control the levels of Spot1 and Spot2, while on Page2 you use the same sliders to adjust Pan and Tilt of a Moving Head and on Page3 you use them to dynamically control the Time of your Speed Dials.

A few tips:
- on every page you (again) have to set up the fader as External Control (in the properties you will see that QLC will use names like Slider1 (Page1), Slider2 (Page2) for the connection).
- use the "catch up with the external controller input value" option.
- to avoid confusion put a Label with Big Characters on top of each page: "Page 1 - Spot Levels", "Page 2 - Pan & Tilt", "Page 3 - Speed". You could also use different Back Ground colors for Each page.
- for a Speed Dial, on the Input Tab, you can also use a slider as external control and you can set the range on which it should work.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
karrika

Thanks for the tips. My group is pretty small - just 4 persons. With just fixed lights a single page of sliders is enough. The whole idea for using QLCplus is to be able to hide contacts on the stage to allow us to trigger sequences in real time during the play. The Raspberry Pi has digital inputs pins. My new version of DiscoHAT has Schmitt triggers for the inputs to get good hysteresis and filters for the long lines to the contacts on stage. I was just hoping to add a small control board by which we can override lights and sound manually if something goes wrong. Like an accidental trigger of a scene.