Fixture Builder

Ask a question related to the QLC+ 5.x usage here.
Provide as much details as you can, especially what you would like to achieve and if available, a sample workspace of your work in progress
Krsound

I am not trying to impose but is there way to get the fixture builder for Qlc+5? I have alot of china fixtures that is not in there. So I can play around with version A-3
TristanYoung

Hi!

From what I understand, it isn't coded yet, but what I would do in your situation is open the closest QLC+5 definition, pop it in an editor, save it as a new fixture, then edit it. Hopefully there is enough information in the definition file to build a complete definition.

I looked at the definition file for a Chinese made fixture I made, and it's simple XML.

I wonder what the actual differences are. I might have to install QLC+5 alpha 3 and see what one of the definitions looks like. I can't imagine it's changed much, but what do I know.

Good luck!
Krsound

I tried to edit a current fixture in 5 and once I saved it, it could no longer be dragged into 2d or 3d. So the current fixture editor does not work for 5
mcallegari

Fixture editor in v5 is not ready yet.
Krsound

I know its not my original question was if its ready. I was answering the previous recommendation to copy a fixture from QLC 5 to QLC4 Fixture editor and maybe it works but it doesn't.
TristanYoung

Sorry, that was not what I was trying to say. I'll clarify.

Take a v5 fixture definition, something close to the fixture you need a definition for, and edit it in your favourite programming editor (Notepad++, for example) or xml editor. You can then hack away at it and turn it into the fixture you want.

Fixtures are simply xml files, and are human-readable.

I hope that helps.
mcallegari

Point is: there's no "v5 fixture" at all.
I have no idea why you guys have this wrong infrmation.

There's been a change of some tags in the XML structure between v4.11 and v4.12. That's the only big change happened in years on fixture definitions.
Apart for that, editing the XMLs manually is not recommended and not supported.
Please use the latest officially released editor, which at the moment is 4.12.3
TristanYoung

Sorry, my mistake. I'm still plugging away with v4.12.3.

Merely thought that if there were any differences, they could pick up on it that way.

Looking forward to trying v5, probably for the first beta release.
StarFishPrime

Apologies - first time poster in these forums and am unfamiliar with where best to post. I did a google search for "Fixture Editor missing from QLC+ 4.12.4" and this was one of the few hits. I am doing Massimo's great video tutorials and am looking at the one from Oct 2013 on You Tube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3omuD6F9RI) that shows a fixture editor that I can't seem to find in 4.12.4. I have purchased some generic LED Par lights (so generic that they don't even have a manufacturers name on the units or literature they came with - just Chinese and English instructions). There is a DMX chart though and it shows it has several more channel parameters available than what the Generic RGB has available in the fixture list, so I figured I'd have to add it in like Massimo seems to be doing in the video, but I can't figure out how to do this? Please advise, image of the instruction document attached I hope.
Attachments
20220109_142224.jpg
mcallegari

StarFishPrime wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:35 pm Apologies - first time poster in these forums and am unfamiliar with where best to post. I did a google search for "Fixture Editor missing from QLC+ 4.12.4" and this was one of the few hits. I am doing Massimo's great video tutorials and am looking at the one from Oct 2013 on You Tube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3omuD6F9RI) that shows a fixture editor that I can't seem to find in 4.12.4. I have purchased some generic LED Par lights (so generic that they don't even have a manufacturers name on the units or literature they came with - just Chinese and English instructions). There is a DMX chart though and it shows it has several more channel parameters available than what the Generic RGB has available in the fixture list, so I figured I'd have to add it in like Massimo seems to be doing in the video, but I can't figure out how to do this? Please advise, image of the instruction document attached I hope.
Fixture Definition Editor is in the same folder of QLC+
StarFishPrime

Cool. Any way I can tag this post and your kind response so others can tell? Without my asking, I would never have found it. Should simply be a link or part of the QLC+ program - in my humble opinion of course.
mcallegari

It's been asked many many times in these forums (with a search you could have found an answer on your own)
It is also wirtten in the documentation: https://www.qlcplus.org/docs/html_en_EN ... ditor.html
Also, on macOS it's self explanatory.
On linux and Windows, you just need to write the word "fixture" in the start menu and will find it.
Come on, it was not that difficult to find it!
GGGss

I don't know which operation system you use but in windows, go start, drill down to Q you come across this:
ScreenHunter_34 Jan. 12 09.38.png
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
StarFishPrime

Apologies, I'm an older fellow that sometimes struggles with tech, and as I mentioned, I'm brand spanking new to this forum. I also did try searching and really, forums should be noob friendly as well no? In any case, I've been trying to follow both the on-line tutorial and Massimo's video - but I cannot figure out a few things. Given the DMX chart I posted, how would I add this fixture? The first channel I have set up from the preset drop down as Master dimmer (IntensityMasterDimmer). The second channel I have set up as Red (IntensityRed) but in the chart there are two parameters - 0 for off and 1-255 dark to bright. I can't seem to get the capability wizard to add a second value I can modify and continually get an error message about overlapping values. At any rate, I have the Red, Green, and Blue set up this way to cover channels 1-4. Channel 5 is for Strobe and all I see in the drop down menu for this seems to be for shutters? I've left it with Strobe (ShutterStrobeSlowFast) but there are 2 parameters I can't figure out how to add. And the next one about Manual control I am clued right out on, but because it mentions Sound Control in the parameters, I am very interested in it.
This is my first toes in the water with DMX, lights, and lighting control software of any kind and so I went with what looked like a reasonably cheap but good Enttec open USB controller, QSC+ due to many good reviews, and, perhaps unfortunately, these cheaper LED light fixtures from Amazon that didn't come with much in the way of helpful instructions and are obviously not in the product listing of QSC+.
janosvitok

Hi,

RGB channels (1-3): you don't have to split the intervals - just add on 0-255 - 0 means 0% = off, 255 is 100% full on. The most important thing here is whether it goes dark to bright or vice versa.
In short, just select the preset (IntensityRed/IntensityGreen/IntensityBlue) and you're good.

Strobe channel (5): Preset: Custom, Type: Shutter, Role: MSB, Capabilities: 0-7 Description as you want, Preset: ShutterOpen, 8-255: Preset: StrobeSlowToFast

For the last 2 channels, check https://www.qlcplus.org/docs/html_en_EN ... ml#aliases
StarFishPrime

Thank you so much for the response janosvitok. I will try this out.

Edit - Hey! Will you look at that .... 3 steps forward :) The aliases wooshed over my head but with what I have in there so far I'm getting some results! Thank Again.
StarFishPrime

mcallegari wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:36 am It's been asked many many times in these forums (with a search you could have found an answer on your own)
It is also wirtten in the documentation: https://www.qlcplus.org/docs/html_en_EN ... ditor.html
Also, on macOS it's self explanatory.
On linux and Windows, you just need to write the word "fixture" in the start menu and will find it.
Come on, it was not that difficult to find it!
You seem to be one of those ADHD dicks. I am impressed with what you have accomplished technically but your PR skills are bout that of a salmon. But have a great day anyways.

And ban away. I won't be coming back here.
mcallegari

This is why I should stop replying to stupid questions.
This is what I get from people not searching among 27k forum posts or not reading the documentation or not spending 3 seconds in their OS start menu.
GGGss

Sorry Dave ... now you choose the Pebcak way - sorry we tried to help you.
#noPainNoGain
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
rajones203

ADHD is nothing to poke fun at. And a lot of LDs and programmers have to be diagnosed or undiagnosed and struggling. It’s common in the TV biz. So, just think about what you’re saying. Especially when biting the hand that feeds you this free software. Smdh.
______

Russell Jones
TV Professional - EVS, Producer/Director
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com