[SOLVED] Erratic behaviour with Enttec DMXUSB Pro on windows

Generic issues not specifically related to a QLC+ area.
Post here only if you can't really find the reason of an issue
Freddy_H

Hi all,

I've been running my shows (theatre) for years from my linux laptop, using various QLC+ versions, with an Enttec DMXUSB Pro without any issues.
This year, we have another group (youth theatre) performing (after 'my' group) in our venue and I am introducing/assisting them to/with QLC+.
They prefer to run QLC+ from windows and I said, sure, no problem ... and them we met Murphy ... :(

When running the show on windows (tested on 3 different machines, 1 W10, 2 W11, with fresh 4.12.6 install), the lights don't fade in/out smoothly but rather in a flickering way go through the fade ...
To be clear: the same lights with the same cabling, the same Enttec DMXUSB pro and the same qxw file fade normally (as expected) when running from my linux laptop.

I searched the forum and the only thing more or less related I found is viewtopic.php?t=12816 (Partial control with constant but erratic strobing).

If I understand correctly, this topic 12816 relates to OPENDMX, relying on the computer's processor, which should not be the case for Enttec Pro ... https://www.enttec.co.uk/en/product/lig ... x-usb-pro/ , so I'm a bit lost here ... :?:

Both on Linux and Windows, the DMX USB Pro is using mode 'Pro RX/TX' and output frequency '44Hz'.

Anyhow, next Wednesday I'm back at the venue and I'm gonna experience a bit with the output frequency (30 - 35 - 39 - 40 Hz) ... and report back.

In the mean time, any other suggestions ?
(other than "assimilating" them in the Tux-cult :D :D )
Last edited by Freddy_H on Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
GGGss

Never ever experienced aby problems with the Enttec. These are my work mules (aka horses).
Some things I can come up with:
* use a dedicated USB port for the Enttec. It needs the full 600mA a USB port must be able to deliver.
* in Windows, set energy profile to full power
* in Windows, tweak the settings of the USB ports so they do not go into power save mode (!! important !!)
* set a dimmer profile OR in QLC+ OR in the fixture itself. Don't mix them up. It looks dead ugly if you combine (like double imposed S-curve).
* sorry to say but do not use 16 bit intensity mode - this doesn't work correctly due to QLC+ engine restraints.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
kenact

Freddy_H wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:53 pm When running the show on windows (tested on 3 different machines, 1 W10, 2 W11, with fresh 4.12.6 install), the lights don't fade in/out smoothly but rather in a flickering way go through the fade ...
I have a couple of questions. What type of instruments are you using (LED, Incandescent)? Are these multi-channel instruments or single channel? Did you copy the QXW file from the Linux machine, or did you recreate it? Can you share your workspace you're using on Windows?
Freddy_H

kenact wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:39 pm
Freddy_H wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:53 pm When running the show on windows (tested on 3 different machines, 1 W10, 2 W11, with fresh 4.12.6 install), the lights don't fade in/out smoothly but rather in a flickering way go through the fade ...
I have a couple of questions. What type of instruments are you using (LED, Incandescent)? Are these multi-channel instruments or single channel? Did you copy the QXW file from the Linux machine, or did you recreate it? Can you share your workspace you're using on Windows?
Hi Ken,

Given the possibilities of the building, we have 2 'lines' of lighting, a first line (over the audience) of 4 DTS SCENA LED 200 (multichannel) and 2 incandescent (halogen 1000W on a VPDP152 dimmer) and a second line (over the stage) of 4 LX161 (multichannel led).

The DTS Scena leds are rather new (this is the first time we're using them), their definition needs to be added to a QLC install and can be found here : viewtopic.php?t=15974

The workspace file I'm using (see attached file below) was initially created years pre-covid on Linux (don't remember which QLC version) and year after year ported to the then current QLC version and adapted to the requirements of that year's performance.
So for the youth performance, I made another copy and adapted it to their requirements (threw out some unneeded fixtures, replaced music & sound effects, adapted the chasers, etc ...). All this was done on my linux laptop and all works as expected.

The show is run from my linux machine, but on request I copied it over to windows (fresh qlc install).

This evening, I was back at the venue and did some tests on a windows machine (as mentioned in my initial post). Changing the output frequency had no effect (as I expected), however I have a more detailed description of the 'erratic' behaviour:
  • Only the new DTS Scena Led 200's show this behaviour (all other fixtures behave as expected)
  • The behaviour is related to fade-in/out values >0 in a chaser (eg. 'all full' scene with 5s fade-in and 5s fade-out )
  • At fade-in the DTS Scena Led 200's stay 'dark' during the 5 sec fade and at the end of the fade jump to full brightness
  • At fade-out the DTS Scena Led 200's go 'dark' immediately, but flash up to full brightness and go back to 'dark' every second (4 times in a 5 sec fade-out)
  • This behaviour ONLY occurs on windows, the same qxw file works perfectly on Linux
Attachments
Productie-2023.qxw
(41.56 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Freddy_H

GGGss wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:30 am Never ever experienced aby problems with the Enttec. These are my work mules (aka horses).
Some things I can come up with:
* use a dedicated USB port for the Enttec. It needs the full 600mA a USB port must be able to deliver.
* in Windows, set energy profile to full power
* in Windows, tweak the settings of the USB ports so they do not go into power save mode (!! important !!)
* set a dimmer profile OR in QLC+ OR in the fixture itself. Don't mix them up. It looks dead ugly if you combine (like double imposed S-curve).
* sorry to say but do not use 16 bit intensity mode - this doesn't work correctly due to QLC+ engine restraints.
Hi Fredje,

Thx for your reply.
  • Enttec is connected directly to pc usb port, so uses all available power.
  • Energy profile & power save mode are interesting thoughts, but the behaviour already occurs after a fresh start (before power savings comes into play).
  • I'm sorry but I do not understand what you mean with 'set a dimmer profile in the fixture' (vs in QLC) ... can you elaborate ?
  • Also, can you explain where this 16 bit intensity mode comes into play ?
GGGss

Freddy_H wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:59 pm ...
Please share your custom fixture profile for the DTS...
What you describe is wooooowww ??? not right at all !!

Groetjes,
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
kenact

Thanks for sharing your custom fixture and workspace. I don't have your fixtures, so I can only test it using the Fixture Monitor. What I found is strange. In your Licht Chase, when you're on Step 5 Blackout, the Shutter (channel 1) on your Scena LED 200s is at 10. When you step into Alles Full, the Shutter drops to 0 and jumps back to 10 at the end of the fade in.

Thinking it might be an issue with your Alles Full scene, I created a new scene from scratch. It reacts the same way.

I than made a copy of your custom fixture and edited the Shutter Channel from Fine (LSB) to Coarse (MSB). That seems to solve the problem.
Freddy_H

I've been working for the last few hours on a test workspace and an elaborate post, but somehow it got lost (clicked on submit though) ...

I see editing the fixture as another possible workaround, as the main issue to me looks like the same workspace/fixture acts different in QLC 4.12.6 on Windows and 4.12.2 on Linux ... (why is there no issue with Fine LSB in Linux ?)

another test workspace is joined

Running the chaser in Linux : https://app.box.com/s/8uvp4lugabd0vwfkg1i6ymz3dtpj6a19 (download to view MP4)
Running the same chaser in Windows : https://app.box.com/s/jeb0n1gxmo9v3eyezjlkcxiq77kwdvva

Whether this is a Version issue (4.12.2 vs 4.12.6) or platform issue (Windows vs Linux) is unclear to me, but fact remains that chaser fade in/out gives different results for fixtures with non-zero shutter channels, Fine/Coars obviously also has impact on this ...
Attachments
Test.qxw
(5.55 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Freddy_H

Here's a reconstruction of my 'lost' post :

The DTS Scena 200 (see viewtopic.php?t=15974 for definiton file and manual) is a rather new fixture and I played around a bit with it (on linux) in it's (default) 4 channel mode. In this mode, channel 1 is a SHUTTER, requiring values 10..19 or 236..255 to be 'open', also values 0..9 are 'blackout' (page 18-19 of the manual). For the production show I kept the device in 4-channel mode and SHUTTER value at 10 in all scenes (as it worked OK like this on Linux).

I created a new Test workspace (on windows) containing 4 DTS Scena 200, a generic dimmer and 4 LX161, a blackout and an all full scene and a chaser alternating blackout and all full (1 all full with 10 sec fade in/out - for visibility in Fixture monitor - and 1 without fade).

I ran this Test chaser, both on Linux with QLC 4.12.2 and Windows with QLC 4.12.6 and made screen recordings for review (see previous post for links to recordings). For BOTH tests, the Enttec USBDMX PRO was NOT connected.

On Linux, the chaser works as expected (Shutter channels remain at 10, Dimmer channels have a single run from 0 to 255 or inverse), but on windows:
At fade-in
  • DTS Scena 200 SHUTTER channels starts at 0 and jumps to 10 at the end of the fade.
  • Looks like the DTS Scena 200 DIMMER channels run from 0 to 255 multiple times
  • All other DIMMERS have a single run from 0 to 255
  • Looks like fixture blocks from time to time 'jump around' in the Fixture Monitor window
At fade-out
  • DTS Scena 200 SHUTTER channels stay at 10.
  • Looks like the DTS Scena 200 DIMMER channels run from 255 to 0 multiple times
  • All other DIMMERS have a single run from 0 to 255
  • Looks like fixture blocks from time to time 'jump around' in the Fixture Monitor window
My findings:
  • As the behaviour under windows occurs with or without the Fixture connected, but the fixture operates as expected under Linux, the fixture can be ruled out for being root cause
  • As the behaviour under windows occurs with or without the Enttec connected, but the Enttec operates as expected under Linux, the Enttec can be ruled out for being root cause
  • It looks like the issue originates from multi-channel fixtures with a SHUTTER channel requiring a non-zero value to be 'open' WHEN a scene containing such a fixture is used in a chaser step WITH fade in/out values > 0
  • A first work-around could be to use such fixtures in channel-modes that do not include a SHUTTER channel (to be tested)
  • A second work-around could be Ken's suggestion to edit the qxf definition Shutter Channel from Fine (LSB) to Coarse (MSB) - I leave the decision to Massimo whether or not to adapt the DTS Scena 200 qxf before distribution
  • It's not clear whether this is a Version issue (4.12.2 vs 4.12.6) and/or a platform issue (Windows vs Linux) - I respectfully leave this to the "code divers"
FYI:
  • I do not want to upgrade my Linux QLC for now as the 2 coming weekends contain production runs.
  • After the last production run I will no longer have access to DTS Scena 200 fixtures as they are rented and need to be returned (but given my findings, Fixture Monitor should be sufficient to check adapted versions)
MichelSliepenbeek

I had a look at the Fixture Definition and noticed that both the Dimmer and the Dimmer Fine channel are set up as Fine (LSB).
It seems to me that Dimmer should have Coarse (MSB) as Role.

Furthermore i find it strange that both channels have a Custom Preset. I would have used the Master Dimmer and Master Dimmer Fine Presets.
Like this:
DTS-SCENA-LED-200 v2.qxf
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Might be that this is the reason for this "erratic behaviour".
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
MichelSliepenbeek

If you have a look at the announcement for release 4.1.2.5 (viewtopic.php?p=65224#p65224) you will find:

Changelog:
engine: add support for 16bit fading

Maybe this explains the difference between 4.12.2 and 4.12.6. :)
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
Freddy_H

Hi all,

I made the following changes to the fixture definition:
  • Edited the Shutter Channel from Custom / Fine (LSB) to Custom / Coarse (MSB) - as suggested by Ken
  • Edited the Dimmer Channel from Custom / Fine (LSB) to Master Dimmer preset - as suggested by Michel
  • Edited the Dimmer Fine Channel from Custom / Fine (LSB) to Master Dimmer Fine preset - as suggested by Michel
I ran the Test workspace chaser again in 4.12.6 on Windows and now everything works as expected, also 4.12.2 on Linux still works as expected.

Big Thanks to all of you for helping me better understand the working of QLC & Fixtures !!

I'll mark this thread as solved
I'll post the updated qxf in the fixtures part of this forum.