Issue with Web API and RPI 4 (Debian Buster 27.05.2020)

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
Sn00zerman

Hello all,

I'm in the process of moving my tests to the RaspBerry Pi (instead of my macs)
I downloaded the latest 4.12.2 from the reserved web area, but I'm facing some issues:

- Whenever I connect "locally" to 127.0.0.1 with the Web-API-test, I can connect, no matter if QLCPlus runs or not !!!
- The values that I set with "Simple Desk channel set", can be read back with the "GetChannelsValues".
However, I don't see the sliders move in Simple Desk. (this works fine on a mac)
- When I try to connect to the RPI from a Mac (with the Web API test), I doesn't connect.
I can ping the machines in both directions,so network connection is OK !
- I tried running QLC+ on the RPI with and without the --web at the end, doesn't change the situation.

I'm lost with this one, I must be missing something :-(
Any help is appreciated :-)

best regards from Belgium,
Kris
GGGss

Hallo Kris,

You have to make sure that the QLC+ instance is bound to the 'outside' network interface. (Hence not 127.0.0.1)
This is to make sure that the port QLC+ uses, is touchable from outside.

Sliders moving in Simple Desk ... as a result of setting them from the API? Is not meant to be working in real-time (?? !!)
Simple Desk is more like a test-mode desk and in production, the focus goes to Virtual Desk.

Groetjes,
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
Sn00zerman

Hello,

Well, the problem is (was) not network related :-)
On RPI, a service QLC+ is running, and this service does not communicate with a desktop instance of QLC+.
(that's why setting variables via the web-api, do not reflect in the desktop instance, and visa versa, and I could connect to the local webinterface, even when the desktop instance of QLC+ was not running)
Furthermore, there is an issue with websocket in FireFox 79.0 (64 bit- on MacOS Catalina 10.15.6. - the websocket seems not to be able to connect !
I used my own piece of software (that I wrote in Python, to make communication possible between an Elgato Stream Deck XL (without official Elgato software, connected to a RPI3) and QLC+ (running on a RPI4))

In the meanwhile, I fixed my own problem :-)

As a temporary solution (proof-of-concept):
1. I stopped the service with:

Code: Select all

sudo service qlcplus stop
2. I started QLC+ with:

qlcplus -w
This resulted in the same behaviour as on my mac machines, when I did set something via the web-api,
this changes where immediately reflected in the desktop instance of QLC+ :-)

Because I'm going to use this RPI4 mostly with QLC+ (+running a few tasks in the background, so I can't use the full qlcplus RPI image),
and I want QLC+ to startup after boot, fullscreen, with my "musicstudio" workspace loaded, I did fix the permanently:

Permanent fix:
1. In the folder /etc/init.d I renamed qlcplus to qlc+.bak:

sudo mv qpcplus qlc+.bak
I also did take away the execute rights of this file:

sudo chmod -x qlc+.bak
This prevents the QLC+ service from starting af boot time.
2. Next, I created a qlcplus.desktop file in /home/pi/.config/autostart
In case the autostart folder does not exists (yet):

mkdir /home/pi/.config/autostart
4. Make the qlcplus.desktop file:

nano /home/pi/.config/autostart/qlcplus.desktop
5. Next, insert the following data in this file:

[Desktop Entry]  
   Type=Application
   Name=QLCplus
   Exec=/usr/bin/qlcplus -w -f -o /home/pi/musicstudio.qxw
6. save the file, exist it, and reboot ...
7. Eeh voila, QLC+ starts after reboot, running fullscreen, with an accesible web-interface that is attached to the desktop version of QLC+, and running my musicstudio workspace :-)
(behaving exactly the same as on my mac machines)

I don't know if this is the correct way (I'm a mac user and windows developer by default), but it works for me.
Maybe somebody can explain what the qlcplus service is actually for ? It doesn't communicate with the desktop instance of QLC+ !

Next step for me: creating all my fixtures and create scenes. (to be activated via the web-api)

best regards,
Kris