MIDI channel settings are not being saved - .conf file problem

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
lemon

Hi everybody,

I've 4 MIDI controllers I want to use with QLC+ on my RPi. They all send on different channels and for this I set channels "1-16" in the MIDI configuration, everything works fine. But after saving the project and restarting the RPi MIDI configuration is set on channel 1 for every controller again.
Is this a bug or what's wrong here?

Thank you very much!

Andreas
Last edited by lemon on Tue May 19, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lemon

I've looked on the configuration file on ~/.config/qlcplus. While in Windows (in the registry) there are MIDI CHANNEL entries for each MIDI controller, in the Linux' configuration file they are missing.
Does QLC+ just not save them and can I add the needed channels in the configuration file manually?
At the moment I have to configure the channels every time I start up my RPi (and that's quite annoying).

Thanks again

Andreas
lemon

I've installed QLC+ from source now on a Ubuntu 12.04 desktop system (not RPi), and in the "Q Light Controller Plus.conf" file I find the following entry for my MIDI controller:

Code: Select all

Input\Launchpad%20Mini%20MIDI%201\midichannel=16
So here the channel setting is being saved. Not so on the RPi.
Tomorrow I'll try to set the channel manually in the .conf-file.
lemon

I've tried Massimo's RPi image now, the MIDI channel settings are saved there. So I compared the .conf files.

On Debian Wheezy with self build QLC+:

[OlaIO]
embedded=false

[workspace]
recent0=/root/.qlcplus/autostart.qxw
recent1=/home/pi/.qlcplus/autostart.qxw

[addfixture]
geometry=@ByteArray(\x1\xd9\xd0\xcb\0\x1\0\0\0\0\x1l\0\0\x1\t\0\0\x3\x93\0\0\x2\                                                          xf5\0\0\x1m\0\0\x1%\0\0\x3\x92\0\0\x2\xf0\0\0\0\0\0\0)
expanded=American DJ, Eurolite, JB-Lighting, Generic

[inputmap]
universe0\plugin=MIDI
universe0\input=1
universe0\profile=None
universe1\plugin=None
universe1\input=None
universe1\profile=None
universe2\plugin=None
universe2\input=None
universe2\profile=None
universe3\plugin=None
universe3\input=None
universe3\profile=None

[outputmap]
universe0\plugin=None
universe0\output=None
universe0\feedbackplugin=None
universe0\feedback=None
universe1\plugin=None
universe1\output=None
universe1\feedbackplugin=None
universe1\feedback=None
universe2\plugin=None
universe2\output=None
universe2\feedbackplugin=None
universe2\feedback=None
universe3\plugin=None
universe3\output=None
universe3\feedbackplugin=None
universe3\feedback=None
On Massimo's RPi image it is quite the same, but there's also a [midiplugin] section!

[midiplugin]
Input\Launchpad%20Mini%MIDI%201\initmessage=
Input\Launchpad%20Mini%MIDI%201\midichannel=2
Input\Launchpad%20Mini%MIDI%201\mode=Control Change
I've tried to add these lines to my Raspberry system, but they seem to be ignored as my MIDI controller got again channel 1 assigned.

Must be a bug, doesn't it?
lemon

Ok, after a lot of trial and error I have found the problem: the "Q Light Controller Plus.conf" (which contains the MIDI configuration) is saved only when QLC+ is closed - NOT when the RPi is shutdown (what usually happens).
So my question changes to the following: how can I save the .conf file every x minutes to avoid these problems in future?
I wonder why on Massimo's RPi the .conf file is saved though I shutdown the RPi the same way I shut it down on my Debian system.
palmfred

Hi
Thanks for investigation, I have also the same issue. And I have also another one.
I want to use QLC+ controlled by a Berhinger FCB1010 (midi pedal controller), which I am using also to control a G-Major2, a Midi looper and a Guitar synth GR50.
I am using the 3 first midi channel for my musical stuff and would like to use channel 04 for the light.
I am a guitarist in a band and I would like to trigger some lights functions and chasers while selecting my sounds with the Midi pedal.
The issue I have is that if I select channel 04 in the Midi setup, i does not work at all. If I select 1-16 then it works but my midi input is detected as channel 01.
I have checked with MIDI-OS and the program change is indeed sent on channel 04, but QLC+ on the raspberry see it as channel 01.
Do you have any idea ?
Thanks
Fred
richbass

Resurrecting an old thread...

Was a fix found for this issue?
I have a single midi controller that can send up to 8 different, simultaneous midi messages.
I use channel 1 for QLC+, and channels 2 and 3 for other devices.

I'm attaching my project file and this works perfectly on my Win10 laptop (for QLC+ and the other midi devices).

I've done some testing on my RPi using the same project file with Massimo's latest QLC+ RPi image and have proved that although all settings I can find in the QLC+ GUI are set to to midi channel 1, it responds as though set to omni (1-16).

(just opened the project file on my laptop without my Roland UM-ONE midi usb cable attached, and of course it, and its settings, don't appear in the IO list, so I guess you'll have to take my word for it. I'll take some screen shots and post shortly)
Attachments
Leg Puppy - 6x8 matrix - one universe - water rats.qxw
(247.24 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
richbass

Screenshots 1 to 3 from my Win10 install / project.
Anything stand out as as potential RPi problem?

IO screen
IO screen.gif
IO midi profile
IO midi profile.gif
Configure midi plugin
Configure midi plugin.gif
Last edited by richbass on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richbass

Screenshots 4 to 6

Input Profile Editor
input profile editor.gif
Input Profile Editor Channels
input profile editor channels.gif
Input Profile Editor details
input profile editor details.gif
Last edited by richbass on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richbass

Screenshots 7 to 9

Virtual Console
Virtual Console.gif
VC button properties
VC button properties.gif
select input channel
select input channel.gif
mcallegari

[moderator hat on] Oh my god Richard, are you able to use a forum at all ?
You really had to post 9 screenshots when the only relevant one is probably the MIDI configuration dialog.

MIDI configuration IS NOT carried in the project file. So, once the project is loaded in the Pi, you need to set MIDI channel manually on the Pi itself.
richbass

I posted all the pics because I’ve tried everything I can think of but maybe there was something I was missing.

Theres no need to be insulting.

If you read my comments carefully you’ll see that the issue is that QLC+ on RPi acts as though set in omni channel mode, and from my pics I’m sure that I’ve selected channel 1 everywhere appropriate (another reason for all the pics; to ensure I hadn’t missed anything).

So, aside from criticising perceived breaches of forum etiquette, are you aware of any reason why QLC+ would be acting as though in omni mode? Or are you saying that omni mode is how QLC+ on RPi is intended at boot up?

You said that midi configuration is not carried in the project file. OK. Didn’t know that, thank you. Do I only need to set midi configuration once, or at every startup?
Last edited by richbass on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richbass

**update**

using mouse and tft I’ve configured qlc+ directly on my rpi.

There are two midi devices shown on the IO page:
‘midi through port 0’ and
‘UM-ONE midi 1’ which is the device I’m using.

In the configuration window both devices are shown; I set ‘...port 0’ to midi channel 4 as no data is sent on that, and ‘UM-ONE...’ as channel 1, as that’s the channel data for qlc+ is sent on.

I rebooted and can confirm that those settings are retained.

I then rechecked all settings to make sure midi channels were set correctly directly on the rpi using screen and mouse. Sending data on channel 1 acts correctly. Sending the same data on channel 2 also triggers functions, so the software is still running in omni channel mode even though I have checked the settings since reboot.

I’m going to investigate other software to sit between the usb input and qlc+ in an effort to strip out the unwanted channels.
mcallegari

Again, as a moderator, I believe your way to use this forum is the perfect way to make a mess of it.
You post one question. 30 minutes later you post an update with your latest findings. 30 minutes later another one.
Then a post advertising a display product.
Then other posts to suggest a product on other (unrelated) threads.
Then this one with 9 screenshots (that you could have packed into a single ZIP file, for instance) to describe a single and very specific thing.

I don't mean to insult anyone, but do you realize that there is not only you in these forums ? If everyone acts like you do, these forums would soon become unreadable and quite useless to find information.

Now, as a developer, I don't have a multichannel MIDI device, but I can try to simulate what you see by sending Program Change to channel 2 on a widget listening on channel 1 and see what happens.
If there's a bug, I will fix it. No need to write 100 posts if the issue is well described and precise.
richbass

I would have preferred to have had all of this conversation privately but we can't (and I appreciate why).

I also appreciate that this is how you wish to run this forum. As a 44 year old electronic engineering graduate I promise you I have put plenty of hours in on similar forums. I shall, however, respect your wishes and restrict my posts / comments.

Thank you for looking into this, and I look forward to seeing if you can replicate the issue.
mcallegari

I just tested the latest GIT sources on Linux with my BOSS GT-8 sending PC to a M-Audio Fast Track Pro.
I reproduced the issue, as sending on channel 2 is received by QLC+ even if I've set it to channel 1.
That's not expected so I'll fix it.

[EDIT] the other way around, instead, works. Listening on channel 2 doesn't receive PC on channel 1.
richbass

Thanks Massimo
mcallegari

Alright, that didn't take long.
I found and fixed the issue.
It was affecting only Program Change signals. Unfortunately there is no workaround for 4.11.2. You need to be patient and wait for 4.12.0 to be released, which should happen in the next few days.
Meantime, if you use Control Change you should be OK.
richbass

A few days is no time to wait.
Thank you 👍🏻