Re-order fixtures in list

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
ralbrightii

So in my original configuration when I was creating everything, my director and I thought that 6 lights on our scrim would be sufficient, turns out that we needed 9. However I had already programmed the file for 6 lights on the scrim. I added the remaining 3 lights (in sequence as they should fall in channel order) for the scrim, however they are not ordered correctly. In the list of lights they show as:

Front Fills 1-6
Overhead Scrim 7
Overhead Scrim 8
Overhead Scrim 9
Overhead Row 1, 1-6
Overhead Row 1, 1-6
Overhead Scrim 1-6

What could be causing this to happen? Here is the workplace file. If you look in the fixture area, they appear correctly. However in the virtual console when you go to select items or in functions they are out of sequence.
Fiddler on the Roof.qxw
(1019.44 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
bleurose

This happens both in the scene fixture list and in the Simple Desk because QLC+ apparently (from what I have determined) uses the Fixture ID to order the fixtures, not the labels. This should be an option (order by ID or order by label) so that you could choose how these are displayed in both lists. What I have found to be the best option is to write a python program that reads in the .qbw file which is XML and renumber the fixtures with the program. That is the simplest solution I have come up with. It lets me put the fixtures in the order I want and then it automatically finds all the fixture ID references (at least the ones I know about and have been able to track down) and changes their numbers as well (this is critical because renumbering the fixture ID definitions in the XML will create havoc if you don't also manually or programmatically renumber all of the fixture references as well).
ralbrightii

bleurose wrote:This happens both in the scene fixture list and in the Simple Desk because QLC+ apparently (from what I have determined) uses the Fixture ID to order the fixtures, not the labels. This should be an option (order by ID or order by label) so that you could choose how these are displayed in both lists. What I have found to be the best option is to write a python program that reads in the .qbw file which is XML and renumber the fixtures with the program. That is the simplest solution I have come up with. It lets me put the fixtures in the order I want and then it automatically finds all the fixture ID references (at least the ones I know about and have been able to track down) and changes their numbers as well (this is critical because renumbering the fixture ID definitions in the XML will create havoc if you don't also manually or programmatically renumber all of the fixture references as well).
Can you share said python program?
bleurose

By the way, usually the added fixtures will appear at the end of the list as the new fixture will have a higher ID but that isn't always the case. If you have deleted some fixtures as well, then sometimes (not sure exactly when or why this happens) a new fixture will reuse an "empty" fixture ID slot that is lower than all the other fixtures. So I have gone along assuming that each of my new fixtures will show up in Simple Desk at the end, and then all of a sudden a new fixture will show up at the front of the list or in the middle somewhere.