Multiples outputs

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
mrubioc

Hi,

Anyone knows if there is any option to set multiples outputs for one universe using QLCPLUS ? Ex: Artnet + DMXUsb..

I have no found any solution, except if i use OLA+Qlcplus, multiple outputs are supported by OLA service.

Thanks..

Miquel
CTM Tom

Can i ask why you would need multiple outputs from one universe?
mrubioc

Hi,

I need to output DMX to a USB device for showing-light, and send this DMX state to a ARTNET device to show it on an HMI... Obviously i could use an ARTNET-DMX converter for doing the work, but the idea it was using minimal hardware to do it, for reducing costs.

Thanks..
sbenejam

Hi Miquel,
I just tested some things.
  • Put your fixtures for example in Universe 1
  • Set output in Universe 1 to Artnet
  • On Universe 2 set input to Artnet, check Passtrough and output to DMX USB
  • You can connect an Artnet device to receive from output from Universe 1
My receiver device is an Android Artnet program called Lighting Console on my phone and an Enttec DMX USB Pro.

Santi
Attachments
test-artnet-dmx.qxw
(2.86 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
pgScorpio

using qlc+ 4.12.2 on windows 10 and/or rpi

Hi, sorry to revive this very old subject but I ran into the same problem...

I've been asked to do some lighting at a venue where they have their lighting (about 50 simple dimmers, 20 rgb pars and some moving heads.) setup as ONE universe but on three separate dmx runs.
1: dmx cable running to the left side of the hall
2: dmx cable running to the right side of the hall
3: ethernet cable running to the stage for artnet (not yet clear if there are one or more artnet receivers at the stage, they just say it's all on the same universe)

My question is how to control this from qlc+ ?

Runs 1 and 2 I probably could solve with a dmx splitter (which I do not own yet), but I would rather use two dmx pro mkII interfaces (which I do already own).
I've been experimenting at home but I just can't get it working to have the same universe outputted to my dmx interface(s) and artnet at the same time.

I've tried the method as described by sbenejam, (universe 1 input none, output to artnet, (tried passthrough either on or off). universe 2 input from same artnet, output to dmx interface, passthrough on. but I simply don't get any output on the dmx interface this way (interface gets input but it's all zero values).

Did some things change regarding this after his post ?

I even tried the same with qlc5, but with the same results. However I noticed that when running both qlc4 and qlc5 at the same time I can send artnet from one to the other (using 127.0.0.1) and passthrough to usb interface on the receiving side (sometimes glitchy or hanging output though!).

My second question is why we should have to use passthrough and can't just configure to send the same universe to multiple interfaces ?
(imho this would just need another way of settings things up. Not selecting inputs and outputs for each universe but just selecting inputs for universes and inputs for interfaces.)
:geek: Software is the stuff that makes Hardware flexible ! :lol:
GGGss

pgScorpio wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:34 pm
1: dmx cable running to the left side of the hall
2: dmx cable running to the right side of the hall
3: ethernet cable running to the stage for artnet (not yet clear if there are one or more artnet receivers at the stage, they just say it's all on the same universe)
I'd opt for an ethernet cable (running multiple universes) to stage and there use an (~€180) intelligent artnet to DMX splitter.
From there on you run the dmx feeds to left and right.
The thing with my intelligent DMX splitter is that I can tell it to output one universe on multiple DMX outputs.
A raspi is in place acting as backup and controlling house lights during load-out when FOH is torn down... if ethernet is interrupted it automatically switches to raspi and I have control from FOH by web interface.

Getting off-topic ;-) sorry
Universe 1 output to artnet 127.0.0.1 and universe 2 input artnet 127.0.0.1 -> output to DMX interface in throughput should work.
Select Unicast in the Artnet options.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
pgScorpio

I'd opt for an ethernet cable (running multiple universes) to stage and there use an (~€180) intelligent artnet to DMX splitter.
From there on you run the dmx feeds to left and right.
This would require running DMX cables back through the whole venue. (DMX connections to left/right side are located in the control boot in the top-back)
But I like the simplicity of this idea and, although I'm reluctant to use wireless, if I have no better options I might consider using wireless dmx instead of cables (just replacing a dmx terminator on stage by a transmitter ?).
Universe 1 output to artnet 127.0.0.1 and universe 2 input artnet 127.0.0.1 -> output to DMX interface in throughput should work.
Select Unicast in the Artnet options.
Unicast on 127.0.0.1 ? How to control the artnet on stage this way ? Then I could as well output Universe 1 directly to the DMX interface.

In the mean time I have some more information:
Around the stage there are 3 ARTNET receivers and they normally use ARTNET broadcast to send the data to all receivers.

I guess using an ethernet switch and an ARTNET to DMX splitter to control left and right side might be a simple solution, but for the moment I'm not willing to invest more than I'm making on this gig.
(So trying to convince them to control ALL via artnet :lol: )

In the mean time I'm still questioning why we can't output a single universe to multiple outputs in QLC+ ??
:geek: Software is the stuff that makes Hardware flexible ! :lol:
GGGss

pgScorpio wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:05 pm In the mean time I'm still questioning why we can't output a single universe to multiple outputs in QLC+ ??
Since that is the concept of QLC+ 1 output equals one universe - if you need multiple output sending the same info - you need a DMX splitter
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
janosvitok

Multiple outputs are implemented in QLC+5; for QLC+4 all is needed is someone to write the UI...
djkad

sbenejam wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:37 pm Hi Miquel,
I just tested some things.
  • Put your fixtures for example in Universe 1
  • Set output in Universe 1 to Artnet
  • On Universe 2 set input to Artnet, check Passtrough and output to DMX USB
  • You can connect an Artnet device to receive from output from Universe 1
My receiver device is an Android Artnet program called Lighting Console on my phone and an Enttec DMX USB Pro.

Santi
Thank you a lot, i needed this because i use artnet with an external visualizer and dmx for phisical devices.
jraatikainen

Sorry to pist in old case.

If you have only one universe in use and need split output multiple lines then you have to use dmx-splitter. One in and X out.
Example something like this:
https://m.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dmx_ ... iii_19.htm