Want to use iPad to control QLC+

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
EBDS

Hi folks. I want to learn how to use my iPad to control QLC+. I see that Touch OSC seems to be the method but I don't understand what a full setup entails to make this work. I can't seem to find a good description for dummies like me on how to set this up to work starting with step 1. Is there a thread I am just not finding or a tutorial somewhere that explains from the beginning how to set up Touch OSC to control QLC+?

Thanks,
Rob
EBDS

No one can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong and how to get this set up? That seems odd. I believe I read some of your are using TouchOSC.

Please help me,

Rob
mumbles

what os are you using
OSX 10.10.5 QLC+ 4.9.1
Surface Pro4 Windows 10
Raspberry Pi B OLA 0.95
Raspberry Pi 2B QLC+

Swisson XMt-350
Chauvet RDM2Go
Enttec Pro Mk2
ultraDMX Micro
FTDI USB-RS485-WE-1800-BT XLR

Korg nanoKONTROL2
Korg nanoPAD2
EBDS

On the iPad IOS 8.4. On the laptop Windows 10.

I have read some doc and tried to set things up. Let me tell you what I've done and maybe you'll see what I'm doing wrong.

iPad:

IP address: 192.168.1.253
TouchOSC app configuration: Enabled, Host: 192.168.1.71 (laptop), Port (outgoing): 7700, Port (incoming): 9000
Midi Bridge not configured

Laptop (QLC+)

IP address: 192.168.1.71
Mapping: I have OSC 3: 192.168.1.71 checked and have Input and Feedback checked
Settings for OSC plugin: Inputs: 192.168.1.71, Universe: 1, Input Port: 7700, Output Address: 192.168.1.253, Output Port: 9000
Outputs: 192.168.1.71, Universe: 1, Output Address: 192.168.1.1 (doc said to leave it that way), Output Port: 9000

Then I tried to make a profile with just one channel. I have a fixture that starts on channel 1. Channel 2 is the Dimmer for that fixture. So I tried to just define Universe 1, channel 2 to a slider and then saved the Profile. For the name field, I tried to follow what the doc said and called it /0/dmx/1 since it said 'Universe - 1' and 'Channel - 1'

I then did a sync and downloaded the 1 channel profile into TouchOSC on the iPad.

I opened the DMX monitor in QLC+ and then played with the slider on the TouchOSC panel. I cannot get the DMX to record any activity. That was the only way I could think of to check whether it was working. I have no real lights hooked up at the moment.

Both devices (iPad, laptop) are on the same wireless network in my house.

I am now hoping that with all this info it will be easier for you or someone else to determine what step(s) I am missing or doing wrong. I would really like to explore the use of TouchOSC so that my assistant at my jobs could run my lighting without me having to provide him another laptop to run QLC+ on.

Thanks,
Rob
plugz

Hello,

Do you see the joystick icon in QLC+ input/output tab when you play with the TouchOSC slider ?
EBDS

No I don't see anything moving in QLC+ on the Input/Output tab. I feel like my problem must be something very simple but I just can't figure it out and I sure would like to.

I need someone to walk me through the process. I am using the TouchOSC editor to create a mapping for the iPad. I am creating a new profile in QLC+. Obviously I am missing something in how you create the relationship here between the resources. I don't think the issue has anything to do with the network. I think it has to do with how I am setting up TouchOSC on the iPad and what I am doing with the profile in QLC+.

Can someone who is using an iPad to control QLC+ please walk me through the steps. If possible, could we even talk on the phone and walk through it? I really want to get this going and I am hoping it's not going to take me hours of work just to figure out what I'm doing wrong to get started.

Thanks.
Last edited by EBDS on Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mumbles

Did you set your profile under inputs/output tab: under profile tab to touch OSC?

Id recommend on iPad using one of the preconfigured layouts on touchOSC like Mix16 until you get it communicating. Then use it as a template to start customizing touchOSC AFTER you know its working with QLC+. It sounds like your adding variables (custom touchOSC layouts) that could making it difficult to troubleshoot.
Last edited by mumbles on Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSX 10.10.5 QLC+ 4.9.1
Surface Pro4 Windows 10
Raspberry Pi B OLA 0.95
Raspberry Pi 2B QLC+

Swisson XMt-350
Chauvet RDM2Go
Enttec Pro Mk2
ultraDMX Micro

Korg nanoKONTROL2
Korg nanoPAD2
EBDS

Mumbles, I am not sure I totally follow your question.

I tried to create a new profile in the Profile tab. I also tried using the MIX16 profile just for the hell of it.
In my new profile I did try to use the automatic channel add feature but when I toggled the one slider I created on the iPad TouchOSC screen it didn't do anything.

Can you explain what exactly I am supposed to do on the iPad? Am I supposed to be using the TouchOSC editor to create a layout on the iPad for TouchOSC? If not what am I supposed to be doing?

Ugh :-(

On the profiles tab in QLC I created a new profile called TouchOSC iPad. On the channels tab I tried two different things: Firstly I defined a channel. The channel number is 2 (the actual dmx channel I want to control). The name I put /0/dmx/1 (although the doc meant that was the way to specify it to TouchOSC, not QLC, not sure). The type was slider.

Then I used the TouchOSC editor to create a layout with one slider. For the OSC field I also put /0/dmx/1 since doc said 'Universe - 1', DMX, 'Channel - 1'
plugz

You don't need to create profiles at this stage.

All you have to do is:
- in QLC+enable OSC input on the correct network interface, and set the port correctly. Forget output IPs.
- in TouchOSC, use the Mix16 profile, set the output IP & port correctly, and play with fader and whatnot.

If the joystick does not appear in QLC+ Input/Output tab, then there's an issue somewhere.
EBDS

Then there must be an issue somewhere because I don't see any joystick anywhere. Any chance I am experiencing a Windows 10 issue? I have no other OS to test. I converted all of laptops and desktops at home.

I have some other questions, although probably not relevant until I can get the iPad and QLC+ talking to each other:

1. When I look at the MIX16 profile in QLC+, what do those channel numbers mean? How is that going to map to my show channels?
2. Don't I need to create a TouchOSC layout for what I want to be able to do with my show? Does that not need a special Profile in QLC+
mumbles

First I guess I should explain I primary us Mac. So I use the IAC Driver, that is only on Mac version of QLC+ I believe.

Im on my way to work right now. When I get home Ill install Windows 10 in a VM and test it. I know theres different options, for different OS version of QLC+.

You shouldn't need editor until after you get touchOSC and QLC+ talking to each other. Unless you switch touchOSC Layout to output midi. Which is an option to consider.
OSX 10.10.5 QLC+ 4.9.1
Surface Pro4 Windows 10
Raspberry Pi B OLA 0.95
Raspberry Pi 2B QLC+

Swisson XMt-350
Chauvet RDM2Go
Enttec Pro Mk2
ultraDMX Micro

Korg nanoKONTROL2
Korg nanoPAD2
plugz

EBDS wrote: 1. When I look at the MIX16 profile in QLC+, what do those channel numbers mean? How is that going to map to my show channels?
2. Don't I need to create a TouchOSC layout for what I want to be able to do with my show? Does that not need a special Profile in QLC+
For now we'll just try to get the OSC messages to QLC+, no need to create profiles.

- shutdown QLC+
- Download netcat for windows: https://nmap.org/ncat/
- Run netcat from the command line like this:

Code: Select all

ncat -u -l 7700
- Nothing will happen
- Then play with the buttons in TouchOSC. Do messages appear in your terminal window ?
EBDS

Yes, lots of messages. That's encouraging. So now what?
mumbles

heres some screen shoots that may help until we can explain more.

192.168.1.200 is QLC+ computer.
192.168.1.210 is iOS touchOSC
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 11.55.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 11.54.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 11.54.01 AM.png
OSX 10.10.5 QLC+ 4.9.1
Surface Pro4 Windows 10
Raspberry Pi B OLA 0.95
Raspberry Pi 2B QLC+

Swisson XMt-350
Chauvet RDM2Go
Enttec Pro Mk2
ultraDMX Micro

Korg nanoKONTROL2
Korg nanoPAD2
mumbles

Local IP Address shown in touchOSC will be the output IP needed in QLC+

Change touchOSC port to 7700
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 12.05.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 12.02.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 11.55.56 AM.png
OSX 10.10.5 QLC+ 4.9.1
Surface Pro4 Windows 10
Raspberry Pi B OLA 0.95
Raspberry Pi 2B QLC+

Swisson XMt-350
Chauvet RDM2Go
Enttec Pro Mk2
ultraDMX Micro

Korg nanoKONTROL2
Korg nanoPAD2
mumbles

The IP address will be different for you. I was just noting my setting for reference to pictures
OSX 10.10.5 QLC+ 4.9.1
Surface Pro4 Windows 10
Raspberry Pi B OLA 0.95
Raspberry Pi 2B QLC+

Swisson XMt-350
Chauvet RDM2Go
Enttec Pro Mk2
ultraDMX Micro

Korg nanoKONTROL2
Korg nanoPAD2
EBDS

Everything checks out exactly as you have shown me configuration-wise. I have things set up just the way you describe and apparently the messages from TouchOSC are getting to the laptop because we already checked that the laptop was logging the messaging coming into port 7700. So for some reason they are not getting to QLC+ or at least if they are I can't tell.

I tried opening the MIX16 profile in QLC, deleting all the channels (temporarily), turning on automatic channel mapping (or whatever it's called) and then toggled some stuff in TouchOSC and nothing appeared.

So the command streams are not getting to QLC+ for some reason.

Next step?
mumbles

It sounds like you've tinkered with setting now to the point its going to be very very difficult to help until you have a defaulted baseline in touchOSC and QLC+ before anyone can help. Theres to many variables and unknowns you've added to the troubleshooting now to really know where to even start to helping.
OSX 10.10.5 QLC+ 4.9.1
Surface Pro4 Windows 10
Raspberry Pi B OLA 0.95
Raspberry Pi 2B QLC+

Swisson XMt-350
Chauvet RDM2Go
Enttec Pro Mk2
ultraDMX Micro

Korg nanoKONTROL2
Korg nanoPAD2
EBDS

I am not working with any tinkered settings. Everything I created new has been deleted. I am using default OSC input, default OSC profile, default ports. We know the commands are getting to windows because we monitored them coming in. So the issue is between windows and qlc.. anybody doing this on windows 10?
mumbles

Im installing win10 right now. I'll post my results / findings in a couple hours after testing.
OSX 10.10.5 QLC+ 4.9.1
Surface Pro4 Windows 10
Raspberry Pi B OLA 0.95
Raspberry Pi 2B QLC+

Swisson XMt-350
Chauvet RDM2Go
Enttec Pro Mk2
ultraDMX Micro

Korg nanoKONTROL2
Korg nanoPAD2