Trigger a scene using MIDI input?

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
RyanWPowers

Hi all. Forgive my newness to using this software. I've searched the forums and read the manual to try and figure this out on my own, but I can't seem to find a description on how it can be done.

Is it possible to trigger a lighting "scene" using a MIDI message from another device?

So, let's say I've got four or five scenes. Can I assign each to a different MIDI message, and when QLC receives that message via MIDI, it triggers that scene?

The MIDI message could be anything. Program Change, Control Change. Whatever. I can adjust that. I'm just not sure what to do in order to get QLC+ to listen to MIDI and trigger scenes from MIDI.

Thanks for much for your time.

Ryan
janosvitok

Steps:

1. dedicate one universe for MIDI input (do not use this universe for DMX output) http://www.qlcplus.org/docs/howto-input ... pping.html
2. create input profile for your MIDI messages http://www.qlcplus.org/docs/howto-input-profiles.html and assign it to the MIDI universe
3. in Virtual Console, create buttons for each of your scene. http://www.qlcplus.org/docs/vcbutton.html
in the properties assign your MIDI message in the external input field. you may also use the autodetect feature
That's it.

If you get stuck, don't hesitate to ask. Just don't forget to attach your workspace qxw so we can look how far did you get.

Also, there are some video tutorials on youtube, check them out!
RyanWPowers

Sounds like a plan. I'll give it a shot. Thanks so much.

Ryan
maceoparker

I hope noone minds if i borrow this thread.

I´d like to accomplish the same thing. I´m confused though, on how to actually route the midi input to DMX output.
janosvitok wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:45 pm 1. dedicate one universe for MIDI input (do not use this universe for DMX output)
So, how is the midi input supposed to translate into DMX output if the DMX universe sholdn´t be used for DMX output? Is there a way to "link" the universes/forward the data from the "midi-universe" to another, which controls the lights?

Thanks!

/Adam
janosvitok

You can use MIDI for two things and you have to learn to distinguish them.

The first one is MIDI control of VC widgets (buttons, sliders,...). Here, external MIDI signals control VC widgets and the widgets control DMX output (directly or by controlling various Functions).
The MIDI channels/messages and MIDI values are not directly linked to DMX output. For example, CC 2 on MIDI channel 4 may control VC Slider that controls DMX channels 7,8,9 on Universe 3.
In this case it's better to use one universe for MIDI input, and another (therefore unrelated) universe for DMX output.

The second one is direct MIDI to DMX mapping. There's a (fixed) mapping table that maps individual MIDI messages to DMX channels. In this case, you can control Individual DMX channels
by sending proper MIDI messages. Here QLC+ acts as a simple MIDI->DMX translator. For this it's easiest to patch MIDI to input of a QLC+ universe, DMX output to universe output
and enable passthrough for that QLC+ universe.

Ryan wanted first thing, and you Adam seem to want the second one.

It gets a bit more complicated if you want to do both at the same time with the same MIDI device...
maceoparker

Ok. I think I’m sort of on board with dedicating midi input to buttons etc which in turn control DMX. What I’m confused about is how the universes communicate with each other? Don’t the buttons/widgets also ”belong” to a specific universe, within which they control DMX etc? Or are the buttons/widgets ”global” to the entire workspace?
janosvitok wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:22 am... external MIDI signals control VC widgets and the widgets control DMX input
Don’t you mean DMX output?
janosvitok

Yes, of course :) DMX output. I've fixed the original post.
GGGss

To make it more clear maybe we should create an infographic ...

midi (among other sources) trigger things (mostly with elements placed on VC)
QLC+ processes what has to be done with those triggers
and outputs its processed logic to where-ever it has to go.

A clear picture / infographic would also illustrate the power behind loopbacks, and Artnet-out & processed (through an other program) Artnet-in, etc etc
Even the difference between Artnet broadcast and unicast could be explained with a blink-of-an-eye...

/me starts drawing ... (And where is my licensed Visio program again? 3 laptops ago or so??)
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
maceoparker

Infographics are always welcome. :-)

Am I guessing correctly if I interpret this as it not being necessary to assign an output to the "midi-universe"? Just assigning the various midi messages to widgets (which, again, in turn control DMX) is all the "output" I need as far as the midi universe is concerned?

/Adam
maceoparker

Is there, by the way, perchance any way in which QLC+ can "generically" read/analyze the tempo of incoming midi (a midi file contains tempo information which can be used to automatically control the tempo of external effects such as delay etc), and adjust the speed of chases, fade times etc accordingly (so that the ratio of fade times, hold times and duration times within a chase, say, stay "proportional" in relation to each other while following the general tempo of the song)? Something like that would really come in handy! In such a scenario, I could program one and the same chase and use it in various songs with varying BPM. In slow songs, the fade *as well as* hold times would be slow and smooth, while speeding up in faster songs.

Is there anything like this in QLC+?

/Adam
GGGss

Some time ago there was a thread where a midi-puls-train was used to control the tap button of a VC timer control.
Somehow the project stopped because an unresolved issue with the divider doing strange things resulting in the BPM being off tempo.
I don't know the current status.

Your idea of fade-in and outs being influenced by this fast / slow BPM ... I suggest you to use (semi) fixed values for that. (Every time you get a new pulse changing fade-in outs, timing has to be recalculated and with functions in running state -> will be very ugly.) You could use a second timer control just for the fade ins f.i. and use fixed presets for that. Now you have some kind of control while slow songs are being played.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
derrickdso

Hi all,

I'm unable to get midi to trigger any scenes with this configuration. I've set up ableton to output midi note c1 via IAC and i've confirmed that using a midi monitor application attached to this post. I've also attached my qxw file. Any help would be appreciated <3
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 10.34.18 PM.png
test v4.1.qxw
(6.33 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
the5thmaasen

Hello, I have a unique issue related to this topic...

I am using MIDI to trigger buttons successfully, however I am in a setting where I need an operator to be able to trigger a button (or something linked to a function) and have it trigger the proper function, but I also need it to not un-trigger the button/function if they accidentally send the same MIDI note again.

Does that make sense? Basically as it is right now, if someone accidentally triggers the MIDI note twice, they turn all the lights off...

Thanks!