DMX Input?

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
Travis Cook

Hi. I hope it is ok if I ask a general question about using the software here. I couldn't seem to find the answer anywhere and couldn't find a more appropriate place.

Is it possible to use DMX Input with QLC+? I'm considering buying a USB-DMX adapter that supports RX, and in watching the videos and looking at the software I see where devices like that show the Input check-box for those DMX devices under Input/Output. The problem is that, from there forward, the documentation seems to just skip talking about it and focuses entirely on MIDI and OSC for setting up profiles, linking them to channel groups for programming, faders and buttons on virtual consoles, etc. The channel thing sort of made sense, but it worried me that I had to lie in a profile and tell it I was using MIDI. I'm not sure if this is because it's so obvious it doesn't require explanation, or because DMX input support doesn't actually exist beyond the checkbox.

I don't have a MIDI input device, but I do have a basic DMX console, and was hoping I could use DMX input so that, at minimum, channel faders on my board could drive faders in the virtual console. Is this possible? If not, is this something that's planned?

Thanks for any insight you can give me, and for working on such a powerful looking program!
Massimo Callegari

Hi Travis,
DMX input is possible indeed. Right now afaik Enttec DMX USB Pro/Mk2 and DMXKing ultraDMX Pro support it.
The fact that profiles don't say DMX anywhere should not worry you. The simple reason is that MIDI and OSC signals have a name by their definition while DMX is just a bunch of 512 channels.
Connor Faulder

Does the DMXKing UltraDMX RDM Pro also supports this? Or does the input have to be on a separate universe to the output?
Massimo Callegari

The DMXking webiste says:
Fully compatible with software suitable for ENTTEC USB Pro

So I guess the answer is yes. On each universe you can have one input and one output. No matter from which plugin.
Connor Faulder

OK, thanks,
I read a few facebook posts on their page about now being able to merge the input and output but I presume there will be an option somewhere for this. Best thing to do will be contact them.
Connor Faulder

Been testing it today and it works great :)
remu

Hi everybody.
I'm in the non professional theatre world and I'm tring to find out a cheap way to use the old dmx mixers as input for QLC+.
I'have read that enttec pro and some dmxking interfaces manage the input but I've also find this site, http://www.techref.info/web/prod/cap/opendmx.php
It sounds like that also the open dmx, properly connected, can use dmx as input signal.
Is it right or only a dream?
I know that it can be said that enttec and dmxking are worth what it costs, but then we are paid € 300 for a whole performance and we are more than 20 people (actors + technicians). Ok, it's not our job but the more I save the better.

Thanks Daniele