Chauvet Xpress 512

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
TazteTheLightz

Jano,

I didn't think to get a report from msinfo32, but was there anything specifically you were hoping for, like the vendor or device id?
I'll try to outline everything I have gathered in a reasonably organized manner:

Chauvet Xpress 512

- 64bit D512 interface

- Driver details:
- Driver: EFKusb.sys
- Provider: Cypress Semiconductor / EFK provider
- Driver section: EFKusb.NTamd64
- Driver rank: 0xFF0001
- Configured with oem79.inf (I will look for this later)
- Started with efk.inf

- Hardware IDs:
- VID: 1069
- PID: 1040
- Revision: 0106

- Initialization synopsis (gathered from USBlyzer software):
- Software creates a interface query
- Internal USB get port status
- Device responds with descriptor (Dvc)
- Devices responds with descriptor (Str Lang Id)
- [This continues for several instances]
- Software does cleanup
- Software closes EFK.usb driver
- Software opens EFK.usb driver and repeats the init procedure again (possibly unnecessary)
- Device keeps sending descriptors, then once the software has started:
- 512 bytes [DMX] data is sent
- 512 bytes [DMX] data is received
- This repeats indefinitely

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing <-- link to the full log of the init process from the data I sniffed using the USBlyzer software (.ulz is that software's file extension) in 5 different formats. They should all have the same data.
I am kicking myself for not hooking it up to a linux machine to see what it showed up as; however, I really didn't have a lot of time with the Xpress 512. If I am lucky I can do that later this week.
TazteTheLightz

Massimo,

I will try the idea of adding the vendor and device IDs like you said, when I get a chance. That would be a miracle if it worked!

I'm hoping there isn't any kind of encryption or anything, but that is what I am worried about. Especially since the interface costs something like $400 (USD). I would be surprised that, for that price, it will be easy to use with QLC+, or any other software - especially since it seems like no one has done so yet.
boxy

Have you asked Chauvet? If they say nothing then they can get in the f___ing sea. Nothing clever about restrictive practices like that.
mcallegari

boxy wrote:Have you asked Chauvet? If they say nothing then they can get in the f___ing sea. Nothing clever about restrictive practices like that.
Chauvet has been nice with the QLC+ project...BUT...the reason why those adapters cost so much is that they have to pay off the R&D time to develop the software, which they give it away "for free".
So I highly doubt they will say: "oh, thanks for asking, here's the specifications PDF" :D
janosvitok

I wanted to see the IDs and the driver used. I saw ftdi driver in the package, so if the driver was used, that would be a good sign...

At this point I am out of ideas and it's up to you! :)

If you'll need Win32 routine to enumerate devices and their IDs, ask me.
TazteTheLightz

boxy,

No, I haven't asked Chauvet. It was hard enough just trying to submit a comment through their website (which I don't think they ever got), and registering on their forums. Like Massimo said, I don't think they are going to just hand out the specifications for free.

Jano,

Yeah, I really don't know what driver was used. It looks like there is some "EFKusb" driver they are using, but the FTDI drivers in their program files look promising. I still want to try out the interface with Linux, and until then, I don't know what else to do. For future reference, what would be the best (i.e. quickest) way to test the interface in Linux? I haven't really done that before, so I am not sure of the best things to try.
Jamey

It's been a while since this thread was updated. Has anyone made progress on getting xpress 512 dongle to work with QLC+ ?
Last edited by Jamey on Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yestalgia

Does Showexpress allow an artnet input?

If so, you could send artnet out of qlc+ to the loopback address (127.0.0.1) and take that as an input in showexpress and pass it through?
Jamey

Show Xpress has been crashing so much on me and others. Also, I'd like to switch all of my setups to use QLC at multiple locations. Xpress is OLD and outdated! I'd rather take it out of the equation all together.

With that said, is anyone able to make a driver if the internal chip is read? I have a tech who can pop the chip to read the data of the xpress dongle. However, I'm under the impression that the chip's data would be encrypted? Dunno. I could use help figuring the proper way to get the data and to give it to the right person. Really eager to get all of my dongles to work with QLC