Computer specs and hardware requirements

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
Snakedog116

I am looking at buying/building a computer to run QLC+. I know it isn't resource heavy, but what are the most important/key specs?

Processor, video card, ram capacity, hard drive speed?

Does QLC use multiple cores or is a quad core overkill?

Our current setup is pretty basic, but could get more complicated for certain productions. so I can't really stress test it without it being a big production (scary)

I've searched the forums and I don't see a minimum or recommended spec list.

Any help would be great!
Matthew Marks

You've probably found nothing because I'd say QLC+ will run on a steam-driven laptop being given away by a car-boot sale. :-) I've run it successfully on a laptop from 2004 (with the help of Linux, which still supports such things). All it needs is a USB port and a screen with sufficient resolution to get enough controls visible on it at once. If you use audio triggers it might need a bit more grunt I suppose, but even then, nothing anything you can buy nowadays can't handle.
Massimo Callegari

Hi Snakedog, Matthew is right, QLC+ runs even on a Raspberry Pi, which is a 700Mhz single core ARM with only 512MB of RAM.

The key point of your question is: what do you have to with QLC+ ?
If you need to control 1-2 universes through USB DMX, I'd say an entry level PC should be sufficient (i3 with 2GB RAM ?)
If you have to control 8-10 universes with audio input and RGB LED panels I would say you need a bit more, like an i5 with a higher CPU frequency.

Unfortunately QLC+ is not multi-core ready, so even if you have 8 cores it doesn't mean it will balance the CPU nicely as you'd probably expect.

As for the operating system, I always suggest Linux, where probably the kernel comes to help when dealing with several processes at the same time.
Snakedog116

Thanks for the quick replies.

I understand that the Rasp Pi is a very limited lighting controller and a fair amount of work had to be used to make that happen... But yes I hear you, QLC is not very resource heavy... which still amazes me because it's very capable.

Some more background: This is for a church stage setup. We have 64 channels of faders, and with a half-dozen moving lights, some coloured pars, some colour flood lights, I'd say 200-300 channels should be what we are wanting to run max. We would use 2 universes as a standard thing, and up to 4 for performances (Christmas/Easter).

So, if I buy an old core 2 duo processor, add a touchscreen, install linux (Ubuntu), will that work?

If adding a bunch of lights, does that eat up Ram? or will 2-4 GB be sufficient even for a large production?

If QLC+ is not multi-core optimized, would it be beneficial to turn off some cores and over clock 1 or 2 of them?

If I'm buying a new computer I was looking at one of the options below:

Lenovo A520
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/ ... ce8540en02

Lenovo C440 (note the link name says i3, but I think this is a pentium dual core G2030 processor according to the spec page)
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/ ... 8a4d6een02

Will either of these be sufficient for my needs?
Matthew Marks

I think you're worrying too much. The extra memory taken by adding a fixture, scene etc will be a matter of a few bytes - it's not even as much as a picture of the fixture! No need to overclock - if a Raspberry Pi, a 10 year old laptop (in my case Pentium M 1.7GHz, 1400*1050 screen, 1G RAM?) or a 5 year old netbook is fine for running QLC+ then any new laptop will be. Controlling lighting is not CPU intensive at all - it involves making a few calculations of the type which a CPU can do millions of every second (though processing audio is trickier). I'm guessing that updating the screen takes the most grunt. Your computer will also be doing other things which can utilise the other cores.

The reason why you can't find a discussion about computer power on here is that it simply isn't an issue. What is important is to buy a DMX interface that is better than a simple serial port dongle. The cheapest I know of are Anyma-compatible, which I can recommend - you can search for my comments about those on here.

Touchscreen laptops are quite common now - that might be an alternative to a separate screen.
Snakedog116

OK, thanks again for the help, I'll stop worrying. :)

I'd appreciate some recommendations on the DMX interface devices. I'm currently looking at the Ultra DMX Pro. I like that it does 2 universes with a built-in spliter. Although perhaps for now we should test our system with a cheaper option...

http://dmxking.com/usbdmx/ultradmxpro

I'm not sure what Anyma really is, the product above doesn't say that it is Anyma, but it is listed as a tested option for QLC+ so I think it would work fine.
robt

If it helps, i am using a laptop to test a new setup, it's running on a pentium III, 1 ghz, 256MB ram, 20 gig hard drive. I have about half a dozen off the shelf fixtures as well as another half dozen custom made fixtures running with no problems. I haven't gotten as far as creating and running chases but i don't see any problem. Fantastic software Massimo!
Baer

Hi all,

first of all sorry for digging out this old thread but i want to know if there are any updates on hardware requirements.

As introduction, because I'm new here, a short information about me in what I'm planning to do.
I'm a professional softwaredeveloper with electronic background. In my spare time I'm responsible for the lighting in a small theater.
As a hobby project I'm currently planning on building up my own hyprid light desk, capable of static light as well as moving lights.

As you can imagine this project is huge for one guy, especially the software part. After some research on the internet i found this amazing project here, having all the features I need and some more.

As Hw target I'm currently planning to use an Embeeded ARM board, with a DualCore A20 with 1GHz and 1GB of RAM installed. Target OS is currently Debian (I think Jessi would be the version) Linux.

I need up to 6 DMX Universes, 2 of them native over the boards integrated RS485 interface, the other 4 over ARTnet.
Currently I'm not planning to support Audio-Input, the decision for RGB-LED-Panels is not done, depending on HW capabilities.
The user interface shoud be a mix out of some virtual console showed and used via a touchscreen an some HW-Playback Faders, and some special buttons.

Idea was to adapt the gui of qlc+ to meet my needs (two touch screens...), writing an own output plugin for the boards RS485, and an input plugin for my HW-Controls.

Do you think my HW is sufficent for running qlc+ with the addions, or should a look for a more capable HW?
Neutrino

hi, what is for qlcplus 5 3D View required?
could it run with OpenGL 3.2 like on Odroid-N2
or do we need OpenGL 3.3 and above?
mcallegari

Neutrino wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:18 am hi, what is for qlcplus 5 3D View required?
Just search and read: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12405
Neutrino wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:18 am could it run with OpenGL 3.2 like on Odroid-N2
No. You're confusing OpenGL ES with Desktop OpenGL (up to 4.6 ATM)
Neutrino wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:18 am or do we need OpenGL 3.3 and above?
Again. Search and read.