How do I get an input setup to receive audio from an external device?

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
Joe Banko

I have a MOTU UltraLiteMK3 Hybrid audio unit which handles all of my audio inputs and outputs. It has 2 Return channels that I setup as inputs to audio programs such as Traktor, Virtual DJ, VDMX5, etc. No matter how I have tried to setup audio triggers all QLC+ ever responds to is the internal microphone which isn't even setup as my default input, the MOTU Return channels are. The only settings available in the Audio tab of Inputs/Outputs are listings for all my audio software packages, my Pioneer DDJ and of course the Motu. I have 14 inputs/outputs I can select from (which is why I bought the MOTU) but only an Input and Output checkbox available next to the MOTU line in QLC+. Shouldn't I see all the MOTU channels and input/output checkboxes for each of them? And as I mentioned no matter what I select all I see are internal microphone signals in the Audio Triggers widget. Is there more documentation or tutorials on the audio trigger widget?

Thanks,

Joe B
Massimo Callegari

Joe, this is your third post without even say hi.
In this one you didn't even say the OS you're using, which is fundamental when asking audio related questions (and for other users reading this in the future)
You don't search the forum for previous questions similar to yours.

You probably didn't get the spirit of this community. You keep asking for more documentation. There isn't more. You need to understand that this is a project based on pure volounteering. Based on the spare time of people who dedicated years of their lives to this.
If you find the documentation inadequate, I'm sorry for you, but keep in mind that lot of other users got very far with QLC+ with the same documentation.
By downloading QLC+ you accept the software "as it is". If something doesn't work or is not as you expect you have 2 choices: use a commercial software and pay for it (therefore you can complain as much as you want when something doesn't work) OR be a gentleman and ask kindly on this forum for help after reading the forum general guidelines.

You need also to make your questions in a way that people reading them can understand them, therefore help.
I still don't understand what is your problem here. I don't understand if in the input/output panel you see all your MOTU I/O. I don't understand which one you selected and if it stays there after restarting QLC+.
Maybe a screenshot of your audio I/O panel could help.

Anyway, the audio device selection has been found pretty broken on 4.5.1. (see other posts in this forum) and has already been fixed for a next version (see progresses on GitHub)
Joe Banko

And this is the second time you've lectured me!

Every time I have posted I have included at least one THANKS!

In my last post in Newbie Questions I gave a description of my situation and what I did and do.

In my post about speed dials I included my system configuration.

In my 35+ years in IT I have not only posted in dozens of forums but contributed thousands of lines of code and templates. Check the Lemur forum where I spent over a year writing an iPad audio/video/lighting controller application and gave the whole thing to the forum.

From my experience I have found that asking for documentation or tutorials will bring forum lurkers out who may have ideas or some sort of help that hasn't been posted.

Before I post a question I extensively search the FAQs, application's forum and blog and have learned over the years that the cardinal rule of anything technical is RTFM which in this case I had done before my second post. By the way I've read BOTH manuals, the QLC and QLC+.

So instead of calling me un-gentlemanly you could have just replied with the last line of your last lecture. "Audio is broken at the moment" and I would have been perfectly fine with that.

But now with the attitude you have thrown at me I won't post ANYTHING here and THAT could have been considerable amounts of code, help and decades of experience thinking outside the box.
Massimo Callegari

You know what ? I don't care about other forums and I don't care how many years of experience you've got.
What I do care of is people's respect. You're not dealing with a company and a commercial software here. So, rule number one in THIS forum is to have respect for the work done here that nobody forces me to do.
By saying "inadequate documentation" you don't respect 12 years of Heikki Junnila and one of my years dedicated to this project.

What did you expect me to answer to your first post ? "Oh yes, here's the full 1500 pages documentation that I forgot to share"

Ridicolous.
Massimo Callegari

Oh, and one last thing, since you're a forum genious.
Writing which OS you use on each post is not requested because I am paranoid.
If some user will search the word "MOTU"in this forum, your post will show up but they won't know on which OS you had issues.
djhurt

Can i ask this here, i have a laptop for my ddj-sx and i have another one for qlc+. my plan is to activate the microphone input from laptop using qlc to receive a signal from sound coming from the speaker output then my qlc laptop works to activate the lights. is this possible and how to do it.
mcallegari

djhurt wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:24 am Can i ask this here, i have a laptop for my ddj-sx and i have another one for qlc+. my plan is to activate the microphone input from laptop using qlc to receive a signal from sound coming from the speaker output then my qlc laptop works to activate the lights. is this possible and how to do it.
Use the audio triggers widget: https://www.qlcplus.org/docs/html_en_EN ... ggers.html
djhurt

I've seen that sir massimo but i didn't get it. is that the step by step instruction?
djhurt

Massimo, i already figured it out. audio trigger are now working on my laptop microphone and sending the function to my lights. still trying to test some ideas. thank you.