Channel does not change, but also is not overridden

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
michelkeijzers

Dear all,

I'm very new to QLC+ but I really like this program.
However, I have a strange issue:

- I added two Cameo fixtures
- When I use the Simple Desk I can change the channel values and the Fixture monitor and real (Cameo) lights are corresponding.
- When I use a Scene it does not work.

Only two channels stay fixed, and what is strange, is that no channels are overridden (red) in the Simple desk.

Is there another reason why channels do not change? And what can I do to prevent this ?
Thanks in advance.
MichelSliepenbeek

.... and what is strange, is that no channels are overridden (red) in the Simple desk.

It is just the other way around: Simple Desk overrides Functions (but Functions do not override Simple Desk).

Simple Desk can be usefull when:
- you have a new Fixture but the manual is missing or Incomplete.
Using the sliders you can find out what the channels are doing.
In a simular way you can use Simple desk to test Custom Fixture Definitions.
- Developing and testing new Functions.
Suppose you are creating scenes to set the colors of your Fixtures, but your Function(s) to set the master Level is not available yet.
In this situation you can use Simple Desk to set your Master Level so that you are able to test your Color Scenes.
- Debugging.

In all other situations it is best to stay away from Simple desk. :)
Is there another reason why channels do not change?
There could be several reasons. Could be that you only set the Color Channels but the Master Level = 0, maybe there are other functions active at the same time (working on the same channels of the same fixtures), but it can also be caused by errors in a Fixture Definition.
I suggest you post your workspace (and any custom Fixture Definitions).
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
michelkeijzers

Thanks for your answer ...I'm now aware that if a channel in the Simple Desk is red, it will override. I use it only for debugging (since I'm quite new to actually using QLC+).

The Master Level (GM in Simple Desk) is at 100%. However, I will include some screenshots that explain the problem better:

For one fixture, on artnet, universe 2, I set the Blue (259) channel in the simple desk:
Note that the Master (256), Red (257)and Green (258) channel are resp. 106, 159 and 160.

Then I set the Master, Red and Green channel to some other values:

Then I remove the 'override' X symbols at the bottom:

When I now change the Red channel, the Master, Red and Green channel revert to the original values (resp. 106, 159 and 160).

How is this possible and how can I prevent it?

Below are the fader configuration in case it matters:
Last edited by michelkeijzers on Wed May 01, 2024 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edogawa

Where do the Master, red and green values In your first screenshot come from? You say you've set the red ( but you really mean blue, ch 259) in Simpledesk, and that's also what the screenshot shows, but not where you set the others. When you click the red cross to release a channel, it immediately should snap to the "background value", i.e. the value it gets from anywhere else in the program - function editor, Show editor, or VC widgets when in operate mode.

That said, I do remember that with v4 I have seen channels being stuck at certain values in "released" state, despite there being no emitter at all, and no way to get rid of that except a restart of QLC+.
This happened usually during creating and modifying a VC and/or a theater cuelist of scenes,, but I haven't looked at it deeper.

Another cause could be that you've chosen a channel modifier preset that outputs a higher value at 0 position, e.g. to preheat conventional lights. If you had done that you would know yourself, so I don't think it's the case here.
Deece

Hi,
In the 'Functions' tab do you have the (any) scene selected?
Make sure no scenes are 'active' (highlighted) in the functions tab by clicking any white space.
Also be aware of the 'Toggle Blind Mode' button in scenes edit. ( The eye ...)
michelkeijzers

edogawa wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:47 am Where do the Master, red and green values In your first screenshot come from? You say you've set the red ( but you really mean blue, ch 259) in Simpledesk, and that's also what the screenshot shows, but not where you set the others. When you click the red cross to release a channel, it immediately should snap to the "background value", i.e. the value it gets from anywhere else in the program - function editor, Show editor, or VC widgets when in operate mode.

That said, I do remember that with v4 I have seen channels being stuck at certain values in "released" state, despite there being no emitter at all, and no way to get rid of that except a restart of QLC+.
This happened usually during creating and modifying a VC and/or a theater cuelist of scenes,, but I haven't looked at it deeper.

Another cause could be that you've chosen a channel modifier preset that outputs a higher value at 0 position, e.g. to preheat conventional lights. If you had done that you would know yourself, so I don't think it's the case here.
The first screenshot also comes from the Simple Desk. .. I changed the Red to Blue, thanks for that.

I am thanks to your explanation aware of what background value means.

There indeed was another scene / collection active ... I'm just new to QLC, but love the program already. I even managed to connect my (MIDI) keyboard to send OSC (in GigPerformer) so I can control it while playing (being the keyboardist).

Thanks again for your answer.
michelkeijzers

Deece wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:41 am Hi,
In the 'Functions' tab do you have the (any) scene selected?
Make sure no scenes are 'active' (highlighted) in the functions tab by clicking any white space.
Also be aware of the 'Toggle Blind Mode' button in scenes edit. ( The eye ...)
I indeed had a scene active. So many options in this program, but I like it a lot. Thank you for this post !
As said in my other post, I even can control it with OSC from my MIDI keyboard.
tripleb

Hi Michel, seems like you at doing the same steps as me: ‚expanding‘ GigPerformer by lighting :-)
Do you run QLC+ on the same machine as GP? Greeting BBB