Loopback Questions No. 2

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
ShagLight

Update: I did it! Based on the ideas I got from everyone, I came up with a way to get the effect I've been looking for. It's a much simpler method and works great.

- Works with almost any EFX
- Can be sped up and slowed down
- Can be dimmed with a submaster
- Can be faded
- Works with an EFX of any size

One key is to write a 2-channel (one for pan and one for tilt) fixture profile, and set both channel modifiers to 50 percent threshold. This solves the problem of how to get a "hold" for lamp on and lamp off. The only tricky part was in the EFX (tilt in this case), finding the right offset for the dummy mover (65 degrees behind the actual mover in this case).

Another key is to use a slider in playback mode instead of a button.

I tested this with an actual mover and it works great. But in my show file (attached) I patched the scene "Red On" (generic RGB fixture) so you can check it out without an actual mover. However, I also attached my mover profile if you happen to have a mover like mine (cheap China 11-channel). If you do test with an actual mover, you can replace "Red On" with "Mover Lamp On" in the playback slider.

When you test it, turn the still scene on first before turning on the EFX (EFX is in relative mode). The generic RGB fixture is in the DMX monitor so you can play with it without an actual fixture. Also attached is my input profile.

The next challenge is getting it to work with 8 movers all doing it at different times.
Attachments
China-Special-60w-Mover-11.qxf
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
China-Special-Dummy-Mover-2ch.qxf
(995 Bytes) Downloaded 4 times
Mover Lamp Toggle.qxw
(8.72 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by ShagLight on Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO, I AM NOT THE SOUNDMAN!
ShagLight

Had to put the fourth attachment in a new post (input profile).
Attachments
DummyMover-2Channel.qxi
(490 Bytes) Downloaded 4 times
ShagLight

ShagLight wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:47 am Update: I did it! Based on the ideas I got from everyone, I came up with a way to get the effect I've been looking for. It's a much simpler method and works great.

- Works with almost any EFX
- Can be sped up and slowed down
- Can be dimmed with a submaster
- Can be faded
- Works with an EFX of any size

One key is to write a 2-channel (one for pan and one for tilt) fixture profile, and set both channel modifiers to 50 percent threshold. This solves the problem of how to get a "hold" for lamp on and lamp off. The only tricky part was in the EFX (tilt in this case), finding the right offset for the dummy mover (65 degrees behind the actual mover in this case).

Another key is to use a slider in playback mode instead of a button.

I tested this with an actual mover and it works great. But in my show file (attached) I patched the scene "Red On" (generic RGB fixture) so you can check it out without an actual mover. However, I also attached my mover profile if you happen to have a mover like mine (cheap China 11-channel). If you do test with an actual mover, you can replace "Red On" with "Mover Lamp On" in the playback slider.

When you test it, turn the still scene on first before turning on the EFX. The generic RGB fixture is in the DMX monitor so you can play with it without an actual fixture. Also attached is my input profile (in the following post as I can only have 3 attachments in one post.

The next challenge is getting it to work with 8 movers all doing it at different times.

Let me know what you think everyone!
ShagLight

Update (again): Been doing more experimenting and refining and found:

- Got it working with flash buttons instead of playback sliders.
- No scenes needed for the dummy mover, since the EFX is controlling it.
- Tweaked the offset for the dummy mover in the EFX, now 70 degrees behind the actual mover.

Update: Ugh. Can't be faded when using flash buttons. Back to playback sliders.
ShagLight

Update: After trying with different movers, it seems to work the same with any mover, as long as the dummy mover(s) has an offset value of 65-70 degrees behind the real mover(s).