Loopback Questions

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
ShagLight

I'm currently learning about loopback and have some questions.

Let's say I have a show file where all the fixtures are in universe 1. Do any loopback fixtures have to be in a universe other than universe 1?

In other words, Let's say I have a VC slider controlling a fixture in universe 1 that I want to control with a VC button. The slider has to get it's external control from a fixture that's in a universe other than universe 1?

Thanks!
NO, I AM NOT THE SOUNDMAN!
MichelSliepenbeek

Yes. :) :)
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
ShagLight

MichelSliepenbeek wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:38 pm Yes. :) :)
Thanks! Next question:

When trying to select a loopback for the external input for say, a slider, it won't let me do it. Been trying everything.
MichelSliepenbeek

Have a look at this example: viewtopic.php?p=70234#p70234
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
MichelSliepenbeek

On the Inputs/Outputs Tab:
- set your "LoopBack Universe" as Output for LoopBack1 and select an Input Profile (you probably have to create a new one).
- set one of your other Universes as Input for LoopBack1.

On the Fixtures Tab create a fixture (for a Slider use Generic Dimmer).
Add the fixture you created to your Input Profile: the channel number should match with the DMX Channel in your LoopBack Universe, give it a meaningfull name and set the Type to Slider.

On your Virtual Console add a slider for your loopback Slider. Then go to the slider you want to control with your LoopBack Slider and set its External Control.
ShagLight

MichelSliepenbeek wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:33 pm Have a look at this example: viewtopic.php?p=70234#p70234
OK, here's what I'm talking about.

In "Loopback Easy Example.qxw" Go to the page 1 "Level by Loopback." Double click that submaster slider. Under external input, click "Choose" and select "none" and click OK. Now double click the submaster again and click "choose." The loopback shows up, but when you try to select it by double clicking or selecting and clicking OK, it doesn't work.

I'm using 4.13.0 on Windows 10.

As always, your help is greatly appreciated.
MichelSliepenbeek

Did you also download the QXI file and store it in the Midi Templates Folder of your User Library?
Did you set the Profile for the same Universe that you selected as Input for LoopBack1?

If you want to add the External Control again, you have to click the > before "Loopback Easy Example" to make it unfold (and show the available options).
MichelSliepenbeek

It should look like this:
LoopBack Select.jpg
ShagLight

This is what I'm getting. And I did
Screenshot (7).png
store the qxl file in the user midi templates folder.
MichelSliepenbeek

First of all, you should download the original workfile again (so it's free of any of your changes), open it in QLC, go to Operate Mode and (on VC) check whether the Loopback Slider does control the SubMaster Fader (and the < and > Buttons do also skip the pages of the Multi Page Frame).

Next step is to change the External Control of the SubMaster Slider. In the situation of your last JPG Picture, you should Double Click where is says "< Double Click Here ...>, enter value 1 and press Enter.
Now again go to Operate Mode and check whether the Loopback Slider (still) does control the SubMaster Fader.

If you get a positive result in both situations, this means that your Input Profile is not working.
This might be because it is in the wrong library or because it is not selected on the Profile Tab (for the same Universe that you selected as Input for Loopback1).

Your Inputs/Outputs Tab should look like this:

LoopBack Select 2.jpg
ShagLight

OK, a couple things:

I didn't know there needed to be a profile.

I originally put the qxl file in the user MIDI Templates folder. I took it out of there and put it in the user Profiles folder. Once I did that, everything worked as it should.

This brings me to my next question: How do I make a profile for whatever Loopback I might create?
GGGss

ShagLight wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:22 am
I didn't know there needed to be a profile.
This is optional. If you know your channel assignment well, you can enter those values directly. Creating an input profile is a great help in selecting the correct channel (and debugging afterwards).
ShagLight wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:22 am
I originally put the qxl file in the user MIDI Templates folder. I took it out of there and put it in the user Profiles folder. Once I did that, everything worked as it should.
This file has to reside inside the user's Profile folder. The above statement is a typo.
ShagLight wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:22 am This brings me to my next question: How do I make a profile for whatever Loopback I might create?
https://docs.qlcplus.org/v4/input-output/input-profiles
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
ShagLight

Thanks! I did write an input profile once a while ago for Touch OSC, which I no longer use. I'll study the input profile for the Loopback Easy Example and come up with something. I'll keep posted on my progress and more questions.
ShagLight

Next question:

Attached is a simple file "Loopback Test" with the input profile.

What I want to do is when I hit the "LB Button" button, the "Red Par" button turns on. Then hit the "LB Button" again and the "red Par" button turns off.

But what's happening is when I hit "LB Button", "Red Par" turns on. Hit "LB Button again and that button turns off and "Red Par" stays on. Hit "LB Button a third time the "Red Par" turns off and "LB Button" stays on. Hit "LB Button" for the fourth time and both are off.

What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
Loopback-Test.qxi
(571 Bytes) Downloaded 8 times
Loopback Test.qxw
(3.31 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
MichelSliepenbeek

Have another look at my Loopback-EasyExample, specifically the < and > buttons: Use a (Low - High) Sequence in Run Once Mode (instead of a Scene).

It is all there, you only need to look to see it. :) :D
ShagLight

I'm determined to crack the code of the loopback! LOL I plan to program some insane things using loopback, but starting out very basic.
ShagLight

Next question:

Used a sequence and now it's working like I want except for one thing: I want the "LB Button" to stay on. It just kind of flashes real quick.

The reason I want it to work that way is in 4.13.0 there is still a problem with the cue list's external input for play using my APC40 MK2. Any other button will send any feedback value for the color of the LED on the APC button. But the cue list only sends one value. So I was thinking a workaround might be using a loopback button and the loopback button would send the feedback value I want.

However, the new version did fix the cue list bug with submaster I sent a while back.
ShagLight

Another reason I want the loopback button to do as I described is so I can trigger a chaser with a flash button. For example use a chaser as a strobe effect so all fixtures strobe in unison. When using the fixture's internal strobe channel, they don't strobe in unison after a short time.
GGGss

Please send in your latest project version so we can investigate. My hunch is the re-use of scenes, internally fighting with each other...
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
ShagLight

GGGss wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:34 am Please send in your latest project version so we can investigate. My hunch is the re-use of scenes, internally fighting with each other...
Attached is the show file and the input profile.

In the VC there are 2 buttons, "LB Button" on the left and "Red Par" on the right. "LB Button" has a sequence attached.

When you hit "LB Button" the "Red Par" button turns on but "LB Button" does not stay on. Hit "LB Button" again and "Red Par" turns off. "LB Button" acts almost like a flash button.

There is another scene also named "LB Button." If you attach that scene to the left "LB Button" it will work differently. Now when you hit "LB Button" "Red Par" turns on and both buttons are on. Hit "LB Button" a 2nd time and it turns off but "Red Par" stays on with both buttons on. Hit "LB Button" a 3rd time and "red Par" turns off but "LB Button" stays on. Hit "LB Button" a 4th time and it turns off. Both buttons are now off.

What I want is to turn "LB Button" on and "Red Par" is on with both buttons on, Hit "LB Button" again and "Red Par" turns off with both buttons now off.

Hope this doesn't sound too complicated.
Attachments
Loopback-Test.qxi
(571 Bytes) Downloaded 9 times
Loopback Test.qxw
(3.89 KiB) Downloaded 9 times