Trigger controls with external MIDI across multiple pages in a frame?

The issues found when using the Virtual Console
jezric

Hey folks, I'm at a loss here. I setup multiple pages within a frame, each page is a different overall set of buttons to trigger different sections of my lighting setup (i.e. a page for the moving heads, a page for the static pars, etc.). I have each page of buttons within a given page being mapped to a different MIDI channel from the external MIDI device setup for the single universe. So they should be able to all receive MIDI at once.

The problem is, only buttons on the Page in view will be triggered by the external MIDI. I don't see any way to tell it to trigger buttons on all Pages at once.

Am I totally missing something? Is there some way to set this up that doesn't require ALL controls to be in view in order to be triggered from the external MIDI?

I need to control all mapped buttons/control regardless of where they are in Pages, Frames, etc. I am triggering everything from Ableton (using an APC as the controller input to Ableton and then passing that MIDI out to the Bome loopback MIDI connector and then into QLC, so I can record and playback all the MIDI that goes to QLC via Ableton).

Thanks, btw, very grateful for this software, it's great!
MichelSliepenbeek

The problem is, only buttons on the Page in view will be triggered by the external MIDI.

This is intentional. With a multi page frame the logic is that only the page on top is active.
That gives QLC+ users (amongst many other options) the possibilty to use the same MIDI controller (like an AKAI APC Mini) in different situations.
So basically it does the opposite of what you had in mind.

Attached you will find two examples. On the bottom half of each screen you will find a part of my Virtual Console that lets my APC Mini:
1. Controll a number of effects on my White Lights.
2. Controll the "moves"and "positions" of my Moving Heads.

(On the top half of the screen you will find a template that initialises the LEDS to match with the selected page).

APC Mini Template 1.jpg
APC Mini Template 2.jpg
Last edited by MichelSliepenbeek on Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
MichelSliepenbeek

Is there some way to set this up that doesn't require ALL controls to be in view in order to be triggered from the external MIDI?

You can make use of the Expand/Collapse button (in the Top Left Corner of each screen) to create an "Always On Top" frame.
You Collapse it to get it out of view, you expand it only when you need it.

Below you will find an example:

Allways On Top 1.jpg
Allways On Top 2.jpg
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
MichelSliepenbeek

Of course you can also use a Multi Page Frame within an "Always On Top Frame".

In the following example i use the (Top Left) Up and Down buttons of my Novation Launchpad to Toggle between "Off", "Flash", ............
(There are other modes as well, but i could not make them fit anymore in the JPG :) :) ).

Always On Top With Multi Page Frame.jpg
jezric

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I figured that was the intent of the multiple pages in a frame, for my scenario I have 3 (so far) 8x8 grids, and since they are intended to all be triggered at once via external MIDI (Ableton > Bome), using pages doesn't work. So, last night I switched everything over to single frames that I just keep collapsed unless I need to see whichever one I'm working with at the moment.

It would be really cool if there was an option to have pages all be triggerable at once (as an option) or have some other control for tabbing between layouts. There's currently no good way to do this with collapsed frames. It works, but it isn't pretty.

Thanks again