MIDI Inputs let sliders in solo frame run simultaneously

The issues found when using the Virtual Console
ChurchSoundGuy

Good morning, afternoon, evening or night.

Background details: I am currently running QLC+ version 4.12.7 on MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2. I am using the software in conjunction with ProPresenter 7 to change the stage lights at my small church at the same time as I change the slides.

Issue: I have two (hopefully more soon, but that's not the point) sliders in a solo box that each bring up a scene I have created. When using the virtual console alone, everything works wonderfully. Turning up the "Blue" slider makes the lights blue, and turning up the "Aqua" fader turns Blue off and Aqua on, etc. However, when I send MIDI signals to QLC+ from ProPresenter, the sliders can both be turned on at the same time, preventing me from switching back and forth between the scenes with the MIDI inputs. See attached screenshot:
Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 7.48.03 AM.png
Things I have tried: After reading the documentation, I made sure that the "Mix sliders in playback mode" box was unchecked. Previously, I attempted to set up this effect with buttons rather than sliders, but clicking two slides of the same color in ProPresenter would turn the light effect on and then off. I tried with both a slider matrix and separate sliders, to no avail. I also ensured that my scenes effect a change on all light channels, which should prevent any overlap (I think). I believe my connection between the lights and QLC+ is operational because everything works perfectly in virtual console/simple desk mode. I believe my connection between ProPresenter and QLC+ is operational because the buttons work fine, and the sliders work fine when used one at a time.

I have also attached my workspace file.
ReachTest.qxw
(11.14 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Thank you so much for your time. I apologize in advance for any miscommunication. I'm very new to the lighting world.
Brandon, the very amateur lighting technician.
MichelSliepenbeek

As i am not using ProPresenter 7, i am not in the situation to reproduce what you describe.

I noticed however that you use MIDI notes (129 C-1 and 131 D-1) as External Control for your Sliders.
As far as i understand MIDI, you can only use MIDI notes to turn functions On or Off, but you need to Use a Control Change to actually change the level of a slider.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
ChurchSoundGuy

MichelSliepenbeek wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:25 pm As i am not using ProPresenter 7, i am not in the situation to reproduce what you describe.

I noticed however that you use MIDI notes (129 C-1 and 131 D-1) as External Control for your Sliders.
As far as i understand MIDI, you can only use MIDI notes to turn functions On or Off, but you need to Use a Control Change to actually change the level of a slider.
I am able to control the level of the slider with the intensity of the MIDI note that I send from ProPresenter. 63 (half intensity) gives me a 50% full slider, and 127 (full intensity) gives me a full slider. So I think that end is working. If you think it would be worth it to change to Control Change I absolutely will, but I'm not in a moment to try right now.

Thanks for your time.
GGGss

IMHO it is better to set your scenes inside QLC+ and have the presenter sending signals to buttons for that scene.
By doing this you gain the following advantages:
* easier to debug
* easier to change the setting of a scene (and the reuse of the same altered scene throughout your pres.)
* if fading is required (I strongly advise using fades inside a church) you are now in control. Midi signals are not so fade time friendly IMHO - as the ramp has to be programmed inside presenter...
* if, later on, an manual operated show has to be used, your showfile is ready to go into what is called busking mode. Every scene, chaser, EFX, RGB, ... is already set inside QLC+ The operator simply presses buttons on the VC.
* If the link with presenter gets broken, QLC+ will still be running, avoiding total blackout.

So in short: Let QLC+ do its thing and have presenter address the things that have to be done in QLC+
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
MichelSliepenbeek

You could try if this one makes a difference:
ReachTest V2.qxw
(11.93 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
ChurchSoundGuy

GGGss wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:16 am IMHO it is better to set your scenes inside QLC+ and have the presenter sending signals to buttons for that scene.
By doing this you gain the following advantages:
* easier to debug
* easier to change the setting of a scene (and the reuse of the same altered scene throughout your pres.)
* if fading is required (I strongly advise using fades inside a church) you are now in control. Midi signals are not so fade time friendly IMHO - as the ramp has to be programmed inside presenter...
* if, later on, an manual operated show has to be used, your showfile is ready to go into what is called busking mode. Every scene, chaser, EFX, RGB, ... is already set inside QLC+ The operator simply presses buttons on the VC.
* If the link with presenter gets broken, QLC+ will still be running, avoiding total blackout.

So in short: Let QLC+ do its thing and have presenter address the things that have to be done in QLC+
Thanks for the advice. Using buttons is in fact what I have already settled on as a temporary solution; I'm glad to see I was headed in the right direction. The only wrinkle with the buttons is that if I trigger two slides in a row that have the same scene (color, in my case) then the scene cancels on the second trigger rather than staying on; this is not the case for the sliders (and the sliders have the simultaneous issue as well as the issues you have mentioned)
ChurchSoundGuy

MichelSliepenbeek wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:24 pm You could try if this one makes a difference: ReachTest V2.qxw
Will check as soon as I get back to the church building. Thank you for putting this together!
kproth

Hey Brandon - I have a custom-coded version of QLC that addresses the issue with sending the same button control multiple times in a row. Most recently described here: https://github.com/kpr0th/qlcplus/relea ... 2023-12-31. I've only posted a windows build, but you're likely run ProPresenter on a Mac? If you're interested, I can try to generate a mac build later on.

Another possibility -- I tested a creative use of a Cue List widget with external control that was raised in the context of re-issuing a MIDI control from a drum controller recently -- viewtopic.php?p=71820#p71820. You *might* be able to borrow from this and use a similar tactic, but with the second step in the cue list being a permanent hold instead of a timed event. If that approach happens to solve your problem, it doesn't require use of the custom build.