Bad stability of my prog. Just me or you too?

Generic issues not specifically related to a QLC+ area.
Post here only if you can't really find the reason of an issue
psyka

Hi everyone :)

I just want to discuss with you about stability of my programmation.
In fact, during my last party (approx 6 hours), I had to reboot QLC+ 10 times! (V4.12.7) :cry:

I manage to restart the program very quickly because I turn on two of them, and as soon as the one that is in operation crashes, I launch the emergency one and I restart a new one.

I’ve made a very complex programmation and to my mind this is the problem, but I can’t simplify it so I’m blocked.
I have a very powerfull MacBook Pro M1 Max, and I just want to know your opinion, is this my computer or a problem with to many information in QLC which make it crashe?

The downloak link is below, very simple use : just play and press the green button « mode normal » (on the top corner left) and it will crash between 15 and 60 minutes…

Can you try it with powerfull computer and let me know if the stability is better than me?

Thank for you help :)

Jérôme.

You can download all the file at :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

-> The version to test is 10.4.16
GGGss

I rebuilt your environment.
A hefty 8,6Mb project. ok
Your 2D environment helps looking at what's happening.
Now ... how do I activate the RBG matrixes? Those are tho most CPU hungry.
On my machine Xeon E5-1620 v4 @3,5Ghz and 16Mb of ram, has a constant QLC+ load of about 12%. GPU load shoots to 26%.
I'm quite sure that activating the matrixes, the CPU load will increase.
I let it run ...
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
GGGss

Still running on my __windows__ machine at a steady 11% CPU and 27% GPU. No indication of memory leaks or so ...
This while doing database work and administrative tasks with the 2D monitor open on a 2nd screen...
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
psyka

GGGss wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:22 am I rebuilt your environment.
A hefty 8,6Mb project. ok
Your 2D environment helps looking at what's happening.
Now ... how do I activate the RBG matrixes? Those are tho most CPU hungry.
On my machine Xeon E5-1620 v4 @3,5Ghz and 16Mb of ram, has a constant QLC+ load of about 12%. GPU load shoots to 26%.
I'm quite sure that activating the matrixes, the CPU load will increase.
I let it run ...

Hi GGGss, thank for your help :)

Why do you would activate RGB matrix? As you see, when you press the green button, all work in a complex stand-alone random mode.

In fact I use at the same time, QLC+, Traktor and Resolume. You can see at my picture, the CPU are in high demand...
But only QLC crash...
Very disappointing when I must reboot 10 times in a party :(

What do you mean when you say : "I rebuilt your environment." ?

Thank you very much for your help :)
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2024-02-23 à 18.40.16.png
GGGss

'rebuilt your environment': I had to copy all extra files into the right directories before your showfile loaded without remarks.
When I look at your screenshot, QLC+ is asking for 98,x % CPU?? This is odd.
It looks Arena needs a lot of CPU - this may be the cause for QLC+ having to wait too long for free resources and crashes because it cannot finish its piling workload under these conditions.

If I have a production where pixel mapping comes into place, I use multiple computers. I divide the workload with multiple machines. Lightjams (CPU intensive) does the pixel mapping and send its info to a universe of QLC+ in Passthrough mode.
Maybe that is a solution for you?
psyka

GGGss wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:22 am 'rebuilt your environment': I had to copy all extra files into the right directories before your showfile loaded without remarks.
When I look at your screenshot, QLC+ is asking for 98,x % CPU?? This is odd.
It looks Arena needs a lot of CPU - this may be the cause for QLC+ having to wait too long for free resources and crashes because it cannot finish its piling workload under these conditions.

If I have a production where pixel mapping comes into place, I use multiple computers. I divide the workload with multiple machines. Lightjams (CPU intensive) does the pixel mapping and send its info to a universe of QLC+ in Passthrough mode.
Maybe that is a solution for you?

Hi :)

Oh ok for my environnement :)

Yes 98,6% for QLC is very huge!
But even if I use only QLC and not Resolume CPU utilization drops, but QLC crashes as often...

I use with 2 another computers with windows OS, and this is the same, very bad stability...

When you use is on your computer, how long it's work?

Thank your for help :mrgreen:
GGGss

I reported live ^^^ so your project ran from 09:22 till I stoped it (still running) at 11:16 without issues.
Makes me think: what DMX interface do you use?
psyka

Oh :o

I don’t understand. When I use it, it’s between 15 minutes and 1 hour…. Mac or PC.

My dmx interface is a basic electroconcept : opto usbdmx
But when I try my programmation, I don’t ever plug my interface dmx, and It’s the same….

I will buy the same of yours :lol:
GGGss

OK - I checked your DMX interface and it's an Open DMX clone with a fdti-chip inside.

With a project this huge, you really need to step up and use an intelligent DMX interface.
Your processor is working very very hard to keep the DMX-bus updated. It is your CPU that is responsible for the DMX timing with that kind of interface. Hiccups are very likely.
psyka

Hi.

Thank your for the response. :)

Ok I understand for a non cheap dmx interface. Which One did you use?
When you try my programmation you use it with your computer?

I have seen 2 models :
- Enttec ODE Mk3
- Enttec Dmx pro interface.

But I would be sure that work correctly if I buy one…

:mrgreen:
janosvitok

I suppose that with cheap interface, QLC+ may have problems with timing (i.e. lights do not react/flicker), but should not crash.
psyka

How do you think I can fix it
janosvitok

It's not that you should fix it, it's that we (whoever has time/ability) should find when the crash happens / how to reproduce easily, so that developers can fix it.
psyka

janosvitok wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:36 am It's not that you should fix it, it's that we (whoever has time/ability) should find when the crash happens / how to reproduce easily, so that developers can fix it.

Okay, thank you very much.
But I wonder if it's really a problem with the software or the performance of my machine (MacBook Pro M1 max...).
GGGss

janosvitok wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:44 am I suppose that with cheap interface, QLC+ may have problems with timing (i.e. lights do not react/flicker), but should not crash.
Jano,

Did you have a look at the processor loads he is working under? His system (and all running processes Arena, Resolume and others) are consuming well above 100% of the CPU. I'm guessing they stand in line to get some free resources. If QLC+ is piling up its buffers, because of the lack of free resources, it might be that it crashes under such conditions...
MichelSliepenbeek

I had a look at the workspace, but gave up after a while: this is far to complex for me. :) :)

First of all i noticed a lot of noise:
- Cue Lists on Chasers that have no scenes.
- RGB Matrices that do not have a Fixture Group.
- a lot of functions where the name ends with (copy).

Furthermore i was surprised about:
- the enormous amount of Chasers.
- nearly all Cue List show a Slider on the left, meaning the crosFader is activated. On the Final Tab of the Cue List however i never find an External Control, so i assume it is never used.
- in the RGB Matrix Folder i find subfolders for 21 Colors, with a lot of copies of the same function only with a different color. This could be simplified by using Blendmode = Mask or by using the Animator Widget.
- in the EFX folder i find a lot of effects with a name ending on something like (15), (6) or (2,4), This could be simplified by using one Speed Dial with a few Buttons for the different speeds you want to use.

My advice would be to first clean up and simplify the workspace radically.
This will bring you more than buying a faster PC and buying a different DMX Dongle.

But I wonder if it's really a problem with the software or the performance of my machine (MacBook Pro M1 max...).
If you ask me: The problem is that you made everything far to complex. :) :)
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
psyka

Ok, many thank for your analyse of my programmation.

In fact I know that I have to simplify a lot… But this is not simple for me. I will check all your recomandation :)

Thanks for help :)
SPS

Traktor is well-know for performance issues Try with only QLC active
psyka

I already try with only QlC active, it’s much better but unfortunately that finally crash…
That’s why I think It’s only my computer capacity.
(Even if I already know I made too complex programmation)

Thank a lot :)
janosvitok

Yesterday I run your.qxw on i5-4690S on linux, and it took more than one core permanently without touching anything, without any device connected, even in design mode. This is quite a lot.

I even managed to crash QLC+ once by going through all tabs and then switching to operate mode. Unfortunately I didn't have core dumps enabled, and was not able to crash again after I've enabled them.

Edit: I've found crash in the apport report, and this is the call stack:

#0 0x00007fa03798960b in Universe::processFaders() () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libqlcplusengine.so
#1 0x00007fa037989971 in Universe::run() () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libqlcplusengine.so
#2 0x00007fa036accca1 in ?? () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5
#3 0x00007fa036294ac3 in start_thread (arg=<optimized out>) at ./nptl/pthread_create.c:442
#4 0x00007fa036326850 in clone3 () at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone3.S:81

I guess still not enough information...

Jano