Issue with Enttec OpenDMX?

The issues found when using the Input/Output Manager panel
kenact

I have been using Enttec OpenDMX dongles with Dell D630 laptops and QLC+ for years. I'm currently using version 4.12.7

The laptop is running Windows 10 x64, T9500 CPU, 8gb Ram.

I have used this laptop with 2 dongles to run a 2 Universe system, without a problem. The 1st universe has 2-12 channel dimmer packs. The 2nd universe multiple multi channel LEDs, including 5 movers.

I have another, larger laptop, Dell M6700, Windows 10 x64, i7-3740QM CPU, 32gb RAM, on which I created a work space to run a show. Due to space considerations, I decided to run the work space on my D630. Everything ran fine on the M6700. Using the same dongle, connected to the same lighting system, and connected to the D630, using the same USB cable, I was unable to control anything. Fortunately I was able to run my show using the lighting board, so it wasn't a disaster. I don't know what DMX dimmer packs are in use at this facility. They are in a locked closet, but it is a 24 channel system.

I had to go to a different facility this afternoon. I brought the D630 with the dongle, plugged it in and everything ran fine. This facility uses 2 MBT DMX2x4 dimmer packs.

I'm confused why the same laptop/dongle combination would work with so many other systems, and not this one. It's also confusing that the same dongle will work in the same venue with a different computer, that works everywhere else.

I could provide the work space, but I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the work space, as I tried accessing the lights via SImple Desk without creating a work space, and nothing worked.

I have another show at the same venue next week. I guess I'll have to use the M6700.
GGGss

Cabling issue comes first to mind, but rereading your text stumbles me... As if your D630 isn't powerfull enough to send valid DMX?
Talking about power ... I always have my speakers on - it is the only clue you get when USB disconnects for any reason.
But then again, you used this combination for years you claim ... so ???? ????
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
kenact

GGGss wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:34 am Cabling issue comes first to mind, but rereading your text stumbles me... As if your D630 isn't powerfull enough to send valid DMX?
Same DMX cable, same OpenDMX dongle, same USB cable, same workspace. M6700 works, D630 does not.

The same D630 with the same USB cable and OpenDMX dongle, works in other venues.
GGGss wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:34 am Talking about power ... I always have my speakers on - it is the only clue you get when USB disconnects for any reason.
Th USB is not disconnecting.
GGGss wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:34 am But then again, you used this combination for years you claim ... so ???? ????
I have been using Dell D630 laptops, with this same CPU and RAM configuration, with QLC+, with Enttec OpenDMX dongles, since 2012.
GGGss

All I can come up with is a faulty driver now ... (Windows update messed up ~sigh~ again).
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
kenact

GGGss wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:00 am All I can come up with is a faulty driver now ... (Windows update messed up ~sigh~ again).
Thanks, but the exact same laptop, with the exact same dongle and USB cable, worked in another venue, after it failed to work in the first venue. There were no updates to the laptop between venues. I quite literally transported the laptop from one venue to the next, the very same day I had the problem. It was not online at all between venues. Nor was it online at either of the venues.
GGGss

Can you get hold of an DMX tester? This will be the only way to be sure what is going on.
A very weird problem...
kenact

GGGss wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:26 am Can you get hold of an DMX tester? This will be the only way to be sure what is going on.
I don't have anything that will record/display what is coming out of the DMX side of the OpenDMX dongle, other than dimmer packs, and I don't know anyone who does. I am back at the venue today, for 3 more days. I don't know that I'd be able to get anything before this run is over. If I do go back to this venue, it probably won't be for several months.

Using the built in DMX monitor in QLC+, all my DMX values are changing as expected, but of course that doesn't show what signals are appearing in the other side of the dongle.
Deece

Hi, some random thoughts:
The fault occured when you used a workspace created on the M6700, on the D630.
I am presuming when you moved to the different facility with the D630 you used a workspace created on the D630.
I have had occasions when using different machines for WS creation the input/output allocations (on the Input/Output TAB) got 'confused'.
I had to completely de-allocate all peripheral I/O and profiles, remove the peripherals, save the WS, then reconnect peripherals and re-allocate any I/O and profiles.
I've never been able to re-create the problem after fixing.
GGGss

Deece wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:16 pm Hi, some random thoughts:
The fault occured when you used a workspace created on the M6700, on the D630.
I am presuming when you moved to the different facility with the D630 you used a workspace created on the D630.
I have had occasions when using different machines for WS creation the input/output allocations (on the Input/Output TAB) got 'confused'.
I had to completely de-allocate all peripheral I/O and profiles, remove the peripherals, save the WS, then reconnect peripherals and re-allocate any I/O and profiles.
I've never been able to re-create the problem after fixing.
Could be a valid cause. Resetting the output block of the project file... Good idea.
kenact

On Monday I discovered there was a newer D2XX driver available for the dongle. I updated all three computers, as all were using the previous driver. I also ran a Windows Update on the D630. I don't know if either action was responsible, but the D630 worked at the venue yesterday. I did have the M6700, just in case. It is a different show, but it was copied from the show I had the problem with last week.

I should also note, when I had the problem last week, I did try to access the lights without loading a WS.

On the question of copying a WS, this WS was originally created on a Gigabyte tower, transferred to the M6700, edited, copied back to the Gigabyte Tower, edited, then copied to the D630. While I don't usually go from the M6700 to the D630, it is not uncommon for me to go from the Gigabyte tower to the D630. I have even copied a WS from a D630 to a Mac. I've never had this problem before.

Almost all of my workspaces are copied from other workspaces I have used at a particular venue, and every single one has been edited on my Gigabyte tower. I find it easier to edit a WS at home.

This particular show was run at a different venue last year, on a D630 (I have several) and an Enttec OpenDMX dongle (I have several).