Mixing scenes, matrices, cues together

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
Circentil

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to the software and lightning in general. I find myself capable of learning through tutorials and threads over this forum so thank you for that.

Something I don't really get is the behavior of fixtures when you're mixing things.

Let's say I am using red color over my fixtures and in the same time running a rgb matrix. The effect isn't the same when I do it controlling the lights with the virtual console and when I a running a show. Is it normal ? Am I missing something ?
GGGss

Welcome to the forum,

And how is your fixture set in respect to priority? HTP (Highest Takes Precedence) or LTP (Latest Takes Precedence). If HTP is in place, the scene or function which spits out the highest value will win this contest. If you don't want this behavior, you can alter those channels to LTP. Now every latest value will win the contest and your fixture will follow to the latest available information.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
Circentil

Thank you for your answer !
I can see how these types of behavior might affect how I can setup a show. However reading the documentation I can't find where you can set HTP or LTP on my fixtures.

Also is possible to apply a specific rule to a function and not a fixture ? I'm asking because I only own 5 stairville 240/8 led bars and want to control everything with them. That mean that I'd like to run lets say a red color on all the heads (on a sequence for example) and in the same time launching rgb matrices that should take priority on the red color. I hope I'm clear. Is that possible or should I manually get the effects I want through a laborious chaser ?

EDIT : I found out how to change HTP to LTP. But I understand that my fixture is either htp or LTP ?
Last edited by Circentil on Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichelSliepenbeek

i suggest you do the following experiment:

For your Fixture Group "Led Bars", create 5 RGB Matrices with patterns Circles, Snow or Bubbles, Fireworks, Propellor and Waves, all with Blend Mode = Standard (and Start Color = White).
Give those functions names like "Led Bars - Circles - Standard", "Led Bars - Waves - Standard" etc.
Now make 3 copies of each RGB Matrix and set the Blend Mode to Add, Subtract and Mask (and change the name of the function accordingly).

On your Virtual Console create a standard Frame and within that frame put a solo frame with 5 buttons and a submaster.
Now make 3 copies of this frame.
The first Frame you could name "Standard" and you attach the 5 RGB Matrices with Blend mode = Standard to the 5 buttons.
Call the second Frame "Add" and accordingly now attach the RGB Matrices with Blend Mode = "Add" and do the same for the third ("Subtract") and fourth ("Mask") frame.

Now set (let's say) a red color on all the heads and play around with the Functions you just created and its Submaster.
You should learn that:
- in Standard mode the function will replace the settings you made before (so your fixtures will turn from Red to White).
- in the three other modes, the function will use the (color and level) setting you made before. So it will Add White or Subtract White and with the matching submaster you can control the intensity of this effect.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
MichelSliepenbeek

You can also have a look at the examples in these Threads:
viewtopic.php?t=16200
viewtopic.php?t=16226
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
Circentil

Thank you very much Michel ! I think I'm going to start making interesting things now !

I get now what you can do in the virtual console, especially with timings. What I need to achieve is using "shows". Can you ajust timings with a simple widget in shows (like you would do in the virtual console controlling every matrices or like you would do in automating audio in a daw for example) or do you need to create the sames functions set to different timings in order to put them in the show ( like quarter note at 240 bpm, at 120 bpm, triplets at 200 and so on) ? That would mean thousands of functions ? :D

EDIT : So I read you're a fellow bass player, that's nice ;)
Last edited by Circentil on Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichelSliepenbeek

I cannot help you with that: never used Shows (yet).
GGGss

Circentil wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:37 pm
I get now what you can do in the virtual console, especially with timings. What I need to achieve is using "shows".
QLC+ is not a timecode processor. So if timing is critical, you need to look elsewhere.
Circentil wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:37 pm Can you ajust timings with a simple widget in shows
No - if timing changes, you have to change (recompose) your show part.

Using the show part of QLC+, in its current status, will frustrate you a lot because the needed shift-in-time, auto-extend and precise time setting is not present. You have to manually drag blocks accross a time bar. My last experiment showed a deviation of about 4s in a minute.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
Circentil

I'm planning not to launch audio directly from qlc+ but from my Rolland spdsx, triggering via midi the light sequence. Would it be a problem in that way ?

Also I managed to time code parts of the music i'm working on in a simple DAW. I can then place chasers etc. I just had to create steps based on rythmic durations converting tempo in ms.
GGGss

Circentil wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:48 pm I'm planning not to launch audio directly from qlc+ but from my Rolland spdsx, triggering via midi the light sequence. Would it be a problem in that way ?
I can't see any problem with that.