QLC+ used for amateur theatre group

This is a place for sharing with the community the results you achieved with QLC+, as a sort of use case collection.
You can share photos, videos, personal hardware/software projects, interesting HOWTO that might help other users to achieve great results.
DO4AF

Hi folks,

i'd like to share how we use QLC+ in our amateur Theatre community

As a theatre group we have each year one theatre play. The stage is fixed installed and we have our technician desk behind the stage.

Lighting consists of 5 LED floods at the stage ceiling and three theatre spotlights above the audience.
Additionally we have other little LED devices and fog machine et. based on the script and scenario.

For the lighting we are using one traditional Light console and a Thinkpad X270 with QLC plus and the ENTTEC Pro.
Both (PC and Console) go into a DMX merger with the console as backup channel in case of PC crashing the show must go on.

To control QLC+ we are using a KORG NanoKEY2.

Each act of the theatre play is organized in a chaser, where I can step through with the NanoKey2.

To be able to let the actors trigger events on their own we have an Arduino which acts as a MIDI device in front of the PC and has digital inputs we wire up with buttons on or behind the stage and map them to virtual console buttons.

As a next project we will be connecting the electric curtain also to the DMX so we can control it from QLC+ as well.

Attached you will find some pictures of our setup.

Let me know any suggestions or questions. Maybe some of you are also in theatre community and we can share our experience.

Regards,
Andreas
Attachments
signal-2024-02-01-211159.jpeg
signal-2024-02-01-210921.jpeg
image.png
kproth

Thanks for sharing. I use QLC for a figure skating show once a year. Running a spare desk through a combiner is a nice idea.

Can you share what software that is for running audio clips?
Also, can you share how those zip-tie labels are made (or were they purchased that way)?
DO4AF

Hi kproth,

the audio software is Virtual DJ https://virtualdj.com/
We use the decks for music or longer sound effects and the samplers for short sound effects.
Samplers are connected with the midi controller to fire effects using the buttons.

The tip tie labels i have ordered online. You can search for "Marker Cable Ties"
Then i used a DYMO label printer and wrapped the label around the plate.
Labeling all cables is important, since after one year where we not having a theatre play you likely forget how everything is wired up :D