Midi "Translator" for Akai APC Mini MK2 on Windows

This is a place for sharing with the community the results you achieved with QLC+, as a sort of use case collection.
You can share photos, videos, personal hardware/software projects, interesting HOWTO that might help other users to achieve great results.
LazaroGrosso

Hello everybody! Inspired on this thread and the project that revilo196 made for Linux, I created something similar but for Windows.

These are the modes and colors supported:

They can be changed from the python script, so it's up to the LD to modify it to their preference. The script can also be modified to match other controllers that needs sepparate midi channels for sepparate modes.

The steps & requirements are pretty straightforward

Step 1: Install Python from here
Step 2: Make sure pip is installed or install it from here
Step 3: Install Microsoft C++ Build Tools 14.0 (Select C++ Compiling Tools) from here
Step 4: Reboot your computer and type on a CMD:

Code: Select all

pip install rtmidi
Step 5: Install VirtualMidi SDK from Tobias Erichsen from here
Step 6: Compile Midi Loopback
Step 7: Run Midi Looback
Step 8: Run Python Translator
Step 9: Run QLC+
Step 10: Set MIDI input as the Akai APC Mini MK2
Step 11: Set the Feedback on the MidiLoopback
Step 12: Enjoy

This is how the APC Mini MK2 looks like when everything is working

https://youtu.be/wQ1gawTDCTc

The python script should automatically select the MIDI input/output. It almost doesn't take any CPU at all (tested on a i7 12700K). Never coded on Python so if there is any error let me know and I will improve it.

Edit: Script link
Last edited by LazaroGrosso on Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janosvitok

Hello,

I don't see your script anywhere. Did you forget to add link by any chance?

Jano
LazaroGrosso

Yes, you were right. Just edited the post so it remains there. Here is the link
maartenvd84

Thanks for this awesome tool!

It took me some additional research to get it working, but ... hey the reward is big enough :).

For the others that still want to do it:
Step 3: I had to install additional libraries because I got errors during the build phase of MidiMessage.cpp (stdio.h could not be found in step 4). I installed - after some research on the web - also the SDK packages.
Step 4: I had certificate errors (self-signed not accepted), which I solved by doing this:
pip install --trusted-host pypi.org --trusted-host files.pythonhosted.org detools
pip install --trusted-host pypi.org --trusted-host files.pythonhosted.org rtmidi
(I'm far from an expert, but that made it work for me). Unsure if the first command was effectively needed in the end)
Step 6: I didn't know how, and probably some of you neither:
msbuild c:\QLCMidiLoopback\MIDILoopback\MIDILoopback.sln /t:Rebuild /p:Configuration=Release /p:Platform="Any CPU" did the trick; launched on my system from c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319

Step 7: that's nothing more than launching MIDILoopback\bin\Release\MIDILoopback.exe. You will see in the taskbar a blue icon appearing.
Step 8: Launch the python script via command line: python.exe "c:\QLCMidiLoopback\Akai APC Mini MK2 Translator.py". If all goes well you get console feedback. Keep the window active.
Step 10-11: See below:
MidiLoopback.png
Thanks again!
M.
That dude that enjoys the lightshow more than the actual concert :-) . Beginner QLC+ user.
Tooters

Installed and working! This is wonderful, thank you so much for all the effort!

I'd love to adjust it to my taste a bit, with less overall options per color and more total colors available- if that makes sense! Seems possible when I looked at the code but I need to learn more Python to implement it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
mcallegari

Soon I will release a new QLC+ version (4.13.0) that includes a rework to better support MIDI devices such as the MK2.
It allows to select a color and also the MIDI channel where to send the feedback (to adjust intensity or make a button blink/pulse)
If you have a GitHub account, you can already test the new version by downloading artifacts from a GitHub Actions build.
Attachments
Immagine 2024-03-06 084855.png
rajones203

Massimo,

Very nice, going to test these new features out with my two MK2s.
______

Russell Jones
TV Professional - EVS, Producer/Director
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
Tooters

Oh wow that is great news! Thank you so much for all your hard work!!
maartenvd84

Awesome! Looking forward to it!
That dude that enjoys the lightshow more than the actual concert :-) . Beginner QLC+ user.
rajones203

4.13 is smooth. And the MIDI additions are very helpful.

For those who are and will be wondering. The MIDI Channels for the Novation launchpad are as follows:
1. Static
2. Flashing
3. Pulsing
4-16. No Control

Working on a profile, but it will take me some time to get the colors accurate.
______

Russell Jones
TV Professional - EVS, Producer/Director
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
LazaroGrosso

Massimo! You are the man!

Thanks for that awesome update! What I made was a workaround cause I wanted to contribute to the project but I had no idea.
thielengreg

This update is awesome! Does it include the hardware profile shown for the APC mini mk2 as shown in the image above or do we need to add those channel values manually?
mcallegari

Updated input profile for APC mini mk2 is included in version 4.13.0