libicu for windows platforms

kproth

Greetings.

I just tried a fresh build (both v4, and the qml v5) on a windows machine for the first time since ~ June. And although make install didn't report any errors, the resulting .exe failed to launch due to not finding libicuin74.dll. Note, I'm building using msys2 / mingw32.

After digging a little, it appears that a specific version (73) of ICU libraries is referenced in platforms/windows/windows.pro and .../CMakeLists.txt. But I had also refreshed my build machine with the latest pacman updates, which had updated me from icu v72 to icu v74.

For the good of anyone else who runs into this, I found two workarounds:
* Manually copy libicu*74.dll from C:\msys64\mingw32\bin\ to my install directory [this definitely worked]
* Downgrade the icu package from the msys2 repo:
pacman -U https://repo.msys2.org/mingw/i686/mingw ... kg.tar.zst
[this seems like it should work, but then I ran into errors running uic and had to downgrade qt5 from 5.15.11 back to 5.15.10 also ... still waiting on another build to finish to confirm if this works]

Is it appropriate to request a bump to icu v74 at this point?
mcallegari

Hi, I m aware of this but there is a reason for it.
The upstream sources build automatically at each commit.
The MSYS2 environment offered by GitHub Actions are still delivering ICU73 so to avoid having every single commit failing, I prefer to keep their pace.
In the end, as you pointed out, the fix is quite simple: change a number in platforms/windows/windows.pro or platforms/windows/CMakeLists.txt