M Live B-Beat and Midi

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
Kreepaul

Hello

In my band we are using for backing tracks and videos the M Live B Beat (i attach the manual for reference)
It has a midi output thru a minijack socket. We bought appropriate cable, a generic Midi to USB converter, but seems this doesn't work, no midi signal received from QLC (4.12.4)
Unfortunately we lost our keyboardist (using Cubase and LoopMidi to send midi to QLC) and so we replace him with the B Beat, but we are struggling into that.
I found a possible solution with Widi Jack device (https://www.thomann.de/it/cme_widi_jack ... bundle.htm) that can transmit midi signal via bluetooth to any device.
What I would do is connect the Widi to the B Beat, and send signal direct to pc, but will QLC recognize this type of midi input? May be that this dongle will work? https://www.thomann.de/it/cme_widi_bud_pro.htm

Thanks
Paolo
Attachments
MANUALE-DUSO-B-BEAT-light(1).pdf
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
Yestalgia

Hi there,

It can depend wildly on the show file and how cues are being fired but have you setup the universes correctly?

As in have you tried changing the input type from CC to note on/off?

Was the keyboard player in charge of your lightshow?

If so - maybe ask him how scenes were triggered via MIDI and what the config was.

If you want more help maybe post the showfile and I can take a look.
Kreepaul

Hello, sorry for late reply and thanks for your.
Maybe I didn't explane well the problem.
We don't have KB player anymore, actually the singer control the BBeat
Previously KB Player used Cubase, midi track assigned to loopmidi output and QLC resident on same PC.
The BBeat has midi output via 2,5 minijack, we tried with a minijack/DIN cable connected to a generic Midi/USB converter, but no success, QLC doesn't receive MIDI signal
With the Widi Jack we can trasmit via Bluetooth to the PC where QLC is running (the PC has BT)
My doubt is if I can assign as midi input the bluetooth
I have 2 universes (1 receive midi input and loopback 1 as output, 2 has loopback 1 input and output to Enntec DMX USB Pro)
Unfortunately my project exceed 2MB so I can't attach
GGGss

Never heard of midi being sent by bluetooth. Is this possible after all? Such an ancient technology combined with the almost latest? Crazy!
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
MichelSliepenbeek

It has a midi output thru a minijack socket. We bought appropriate cable, a generic Midi to USB converter, ...
If you want to send MIDI from your M-live B-Beat (which has a 3 pin TRS minijack output) to a standard computer running QLC (which can only accept MIDI over USB), the easiest way is to use a "TRS Mini Jack to 5 pin Midi cable" and a MIDI to USB converter.
So far you did everything good.
...., but seems this doesn't work, no midi signal received from QLC (4.12.4).
If you connect your cable to your computer and then start QLC, it should show up on the Inputs/Outputs tab (in my case as ESI MIDIMATE eX).
If it does not show up, the issue is in the operating system of your computer (you maybe need to install drivers first).

In QLC you should use a separate Universe for MIDI and (for now only) box the MIDI to Usb adapter for Input.
Select this line and then click on the Toolbox Icon and set the input to the MIDI channel that your B-Beat will be using (if you're not sure you could use Omni Mode 1 - 16).
Now (on the next tab) select the "generic MIDI" Profile.

if you now Send a midi signal from your B-Beat, you should see a joy stick image appearing for the Universe you have selected (this joy stick shows that QLC is receiving input from MIDI).

You should concentrate on getting this to work.
Replacing a fysical cable by a blue tooth connection only adds more components to your chain, it does not bring you closer to a solution.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
MichelSliepenbeek

If you watch this video: https://youtu.be/6UVoB7KTVTM?feature=shared

At 13:11 there is a remark that you need a Type B "3,5 mm to 5 pin Midi" cable, not a type A.
You could check that first.

For an explanation: https://youtu.be/MocWRgOu2PY?feature=shared
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"