Our own QLC+ USB to DMX interface ?

This is a place for sharing with the community the results you achieved with QLC+, as a sort of use case collection.
You can share photos, videos, personal hardware/software projects, interesting HOWTO that might help other users to achieve great results.
macledefa

Hi everyone !

First of all, thank you all for the incredible work you do around this project !

Thank to QLC+, I have learn a lot about DMX, lighting and hardware (by the way of building my own hardware to run show with QLC+).
Last year, I have started my own business of show creation and electronics creation around show, like show sets and electronics theatre props.

Today, I was working for a company to automate a small children show using an Entecc open DMX.
Just this afternoon I was browsing on the QLC+ merch store and told myself, the Entecc open DMX is really nice but at 80€ it is still expensive for young beginner, people who just want to have fun or people who want to try simple thing...
I would find it incredible if we can work together on a maybe simpler and less professional looking but less expensive too USB to DMX interface, that we can sell on the merch store, with the new logo on it and everything !
I'm ready to work on it with my company, if you like the idea.
Let me know what you think about it !

Have a great day !
mcallegari

Hi the idea is good but you need to consider that you can find DMX USB adapters on Amazon between 20€ and 30€
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GT3S6V6
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KW1HGB3
I believe that is a fair target price for an unbuffered device similar to Enttec open.
In that target you need also to consider development costs, initial investment, packaging, etc
If you're willing to adventure yourself on such project for such target price, then I think many people here would be happy about it! (me included if we can have an official QLC+ USB adapter)
zl2max

Have a poke around RaspberryPi, there is a DMX HAT (that is the hardware addon) and of course QLC+ is already available for Raspberry.

Too busy trying to work everything out with my first QLC+ show to look too deep

Here a e a couple of quick hits to start you.
https://bitwizard.nl/shop/DMX-interface ... spberry-pi
https://www.instructables.com/Raspberry ... ontroller/

Max
zl2max

Looked at similar to these but mine wanted unsigned drivers in Windows 10.... too dicy for my liking
MichelSliepenbeek

On AliExpress you can even find them around 10 €.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/10050056 ... 49951%21AC
Free shipping if you buy 2 or more.

If you are willing to buy at least 100 pieces it's even cheaper. With those numbers you also have the possibility of a customized logo.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... BvZ2mW&s=p
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
macledefa

Thank you for all your reply !

You're right, it my be cheaper and easier to buy it in bulk from alibaba ...
But just for fun I give it a go today, and I came with this schematics.
I just have followed the ftdi USB to RS485 Converter 2 Application Example, with additional LEDs and JST connector to made it easier to connect USB in DMX out and status LED.
If you have the time to give me a feedback, it will be much apreciated ! :D
Attachments
Schematic_USB to DMX converter_2023-10-18.png
GGGss

Non buffered (the aim of the project) and not electrical isolated = a home product. I wouldn't use it in productions.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
macledefa

Do you think that with a little bit more work we can sort out something more reliable ?
spacegraft

Hello all, im new here.
I have been developing some addressable LED controllers for some time, using teensys and esp32 chips. Im curious why usb to dmx controllers seem to be more widely used then artnet to dmx controllers?
Is it the price?
I find networked devices way more reliable and easier to manage then usb devices. If there is interest in a custom device why not have ethernet?
GGGss

spacegraft wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:23 pm Hello all, im new here.
I have been developing some addressable LED controllers for some time, using teensys and esp32 chips. Im curious why usb to dmx controllers seem to be more widely used then artnet to dmx controllers?
Is it the price?
I find networked devices way more reliable and easier to manage then usb devices. If there is interest in a custom device why not have ethernet?
Ethernet devices - by design - have an isolated input output signature ... DMX does not!
DMX relies upon the RS485 signal standard
Your ethernet device does buffer signals which is good versus USB devices depend on the host processor's capability to deliver the signal timing ... Hence USB devices are prone to miss the right timing.

If you want to continue developing Artnet to DMX devices they should be able to receive Broadcast (IP6 compatible), better -> Unicast
The DMX interface should be fully electrically isolated from the ground - I personally have sensed a 70+ Volts from the grid to ground DUH - This will fry your RASPI inputs
Add RDM to your config - since this is the next standard
Good luck (there are quite some competitors in your room ....)
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
spacegraft

Personally not looking to compete, im just into building tools to help me with my artistic practice. After a decade of doing so its hard to use proprietary tools that cost an arm and a leg and cant be customized. Isolated rs485 is not hard to figure out. Im no EE but know enough to get into and out of trouble : )

Being able to re-program your gear opens the door to really slick solutions. I did a project with a cloud/rainbow stage prop which used addressable lighting, and basically coded our own fixture profile for DMX input to control sections of LEDs and effects. One device, no complicated config on console. I know not everyone codes but with the very wide support of Arduino its pretty approachable.

Im particularly interested in this protocol http://www.3waylabs.com/ddp/, which may never be implemented by big lighting , but it offers some very good features. Although not too useful for DMX but huge for other stuff like addressable LEDs at higher FPS. It can also support artnet of course, already have that, with artsync also.
Yestalgia

I got a quote from Enttec for them to make us some custom firmware and a special run of QLC+ branded adaptors.

Going to need to sell more merch first hehe. It's on the backlog though!