Midi Communication with Linux Show Player

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Linux operating system
drjswalker

G'day All,

I'm a magician and have been using Linux Show Player (LiSP) for a few years as a Cue player and QLC+ for lighting but would like to try something a little harder in the form of tying a sound effect and a lighting effect together. I would like to play the sound effect (about 1-2s long) and just after (0.2s) have a light flash. I would like to use LiSP for the sound effect and have it send a MIDI cue/message to QLC+ to flash the light. I have each Application responding to a MIDI controller just fine. The part I'm having trouble with, is when I remove the controller from the equation and try to connect the LiSP MIDI message output to qlc+. I get an LiSP output config option that looks like "qlcplus:QLC 128:0" in the MIDI devices output config box. But I don't see anything for LiSP in the MIDI segment of the QLC+ INS/OUTS panel, Just two entries labeled inputs(?) and an entry labeled "Midi through port-0". When it comes to settting the button widget properties in the virtual desk, the qlc+ autodetect sees nothing.

I am Setting the MIDI communication in Universe 4 and DMX out in Universe 1, I am running the QLC+ virtual console when I test. I am setting the message parameters in the MIDI cue/message (Channel 13, note 6, Note on).

I am a midi very newbie but I have managed to get both Applications to respond independently to my Nanokontrol2 and do something useful. I think the problem is configuring the MIDI connection details between the two but I don't really know. I'll cross post this to a LiSP group as well. I'm using Linux Mint Victoria and a recent version of Pipewire that I can confirm is working well. This may all be very simple but I just don't know enough

Could someone please help connect these two so I can use the great MIDI messaging of LiSP to drive a QLC+ virtual console button and make an appearance on the stage truly magical.

John Walker
janosvitok

For midi, either you need to loop actual physical connectors (i.e. connect cable between an output and an input), or use software loopback.
I don't know what to use, try google.

It seems that nightly build of LiSP can send OSC messages as well. You may try that if you don't succeed with MIDI. https://github.com/FrancescoCeruti/linu ... 1595731922
GGGss

Since you are making the move and reconfigure everything ... you realise that QLC+ also can play sounds? So you could leave the LiSP path and switch completely to QLC+?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore