Newbi needing help getting fixtures working

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Windows operating system
bluesmang6

Ok, well all my settings seems correct based on the responses. I only hooked up one fixture for the time being until I at least got one working. So, with following everything and all the settings correct, I still get nothing on the light. Maybe it just isn't going to work and I'll just have to go with an analog DMX controller. Thanks everyone for the assistance anyways.
GGGss

Then the only possible problem would be hardware. Did you reuse the DMX cables from your analog controller?
* DMX cables: verify that they are correctly wired: 1 gnd, 2 hot, 3 cold.
If, for one reason, hot and cold would have been swapped the DMX line is faulty and nothing happens.
I once had a fixture - controller fault leading back to a swapped data+ data- inside a fixture. Happy hunting here!
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
SPOPATT

I was burned by not knowing DMX and XLR cables were different things when I first started. Make sure you aren't mixing the two either.
MichelSliepenbeek

I'll just have to go with an analog DMX controller
Knowing that DMX is an acronym for Digital Multiplex i wonder what an analog DMX controller would look like.
Brian should send us pictures if he finds one. :) :( :shock:

I guess we all have been hoaxed.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
bluesmang6

I don't currently have an analog controller (by that, I mean an actual unit with sliders, rather than using a PC :roll: ) and the only DMX cable I have been using is the DMX to USB adapter cable that I just bought. I know that XLR cables can't be used in place of DMX. I don't have a way at the moment to test the DMX functionality of the light itself.

When I run QLC, the led light inside the end of the USB does flash and the speed changes as I change the frequency of the USB protocol. The strange thing I noticed last night, when I had the light hooked up and everything set in QLC, when I would change the DMX address number, the light would come on with a different color on each number I changed it to, but only for a few seconds, then would turn off. This only happened sometimes. I would unplug it or close QLC and do it again, and sometimes it would just stay dark when switching the DMX address.

I think something is wonky with the lights themselves as I've tested with both lights and both react the same.
edogawa

I know that XLR cables can't be used in place of DMX. I don't have a way at the moment to test the DMX functionality of the light itself.
Well that's not entirely true in my opinion and experience.

DMX specs demand a certain type of cable, but it's just not true tat you can't use a standard audio XLR cable.
We do that all the time in a "professional" environment (small theater), at least for short distances like connecting a line of LED bars, and I don't get any faults or errors in transmission.
I've even been running DMX over 25 m microphone cable in factory halls, without problem.

I won't recommend to always do it, but wouldn't hesitate to try it at least, for testing like in your case. You won't destroy anything.
Last edited by edogawa on Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenact

If the DMX Dongle is seen as an Enttec Open DMX, try downloading the Open DMX driver from Enttec.