Newbi needing help getting fixtures working

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Windows operating system
bluesmang6

Hi, newbi here to QLC+. I have (2) cheap RGB Betopper LPC015 led stage lights that I am trying to use with QLC+, but I can't seem to get them connected or control them. I am using a USB to DMX adapter and Windows 10. When I go into the Input/Output section of QLC, I can see the USB adapter. It shows up as FT232R USB UART (S/N: AB71F1TN) and I have the box for Output checked off.
Next when I go to add the fixture, there's no pre-set for my model light, so I just used 4 generic dimmers set to channels 1 through 4. Now, the LED light has 2 dmx modes according to the manual. If set to d001, it's 3 channels with the channels being RGB respectively. If it is set to A001, then it is 7 channel with the channels being dimmer, R,G,B for channles 1-4, then strobe, pulse, sound activation for the other 3 channels. I have the LED set to 7 channel mode. I go to Simple Desk and push up slider 1 and any combination of the 2-4 and I get nothing. I can't seem to get QLC to send anything to light. I'm just trying to basic manual functions for now from the computer to control the lights.
Any idea on what I'm doing wrong? I can provide screenshots or pictures of whatever, if need be. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
GGGss

bluesmang6 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:57 am FT232R USB UART (S/N: AB71F1TN) and I have the box for Output checked off.
2 things you can do to verify your setup.
1st: open the DMX monitor and verify that you are sending values which correspond with the manual of your fixture.
I assume that your fixture also has a master intensity channel? Without any value sent, there will be no output of course ;-)
2nd: Somehow you need to verify that your interface does work ... Is it set to the correct mode? Some interfaces need the RX/TX Pro mode before they get to work. Check the output with the configuration button.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
bluesmang6

Yes, I did try the DMX monitor. The manual for the light shows that when in 7 channel mode, Channel 1 is the dimming (0-255), and Channel 2-4 are R, G, & B (0-255). When I push the slider up on the Simple Desk for Channel 1 and any of the 3 other channels, the DMX monitor shows the channels going from 0 up to 255 which would be consistent with the light.
As for the interface, that was the one thing I forgot to ask in my original post. How do I know what setting to use on the USB DMX? There are several different options. Pro RX/TX, Open TX, Open RX, Pro Mk2, Ultra Pro, DMX4ALL, Vince TX, and Eurolite. The manual for the light doesn't specify what mode it requires as it's pretty limited. I've tried several with the same results...the light not being controlled.
GGGss

ok - then it helps when you name the make and model of your DMX interface...
(PS when changing modes with your interface, switch the design / produce mode (red square / green play button))
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
bluesmang6

Ok, the DMX interface is a Teykst USB to DMX adapter DMX512 RS485 converter with FTDI chip. With the USB interface set to DMX4ALL, if I clicked any of the sliders on the generic dimmer fixture, the light would at least light up, but only for a few seconds and always the same color. I thought maybe that was at least a start, but I can't get it to do anything else.
Follow up question, when I'm testing the fixture functionality, should it be in produce mode?
GGGss

On the interweb, I just learned that you have to use the Enttec Open DMX protocol - so we already have a clue.
And since this is an entry-level device, I strongly suggest lowering the DMX frequency. (Start playing around from 20Hz to 30Hz and set your fixture address to a lower one - when successful, try to address it to a high one just to be sure the adapter sends all channels in timely fashion).

Follow-up answer: While editing, you get a preview of what is going on, so you don't have to go into produce mode. The hint I gave switching between produce and design mode was because switching the mode does reset the DMX bus. When you change the protocol (or other system settings) it's a good idea to do the switch.
bluesmang6

Ok, so what you are saying is the USB to DMX adapter I'm using won't work with my fixture and/or QLC+ and I'll have to purchase an Enttec Open DMX adapter instead in order for this to work?
MichelSliepenbeek

You can use the Fixture Definition of the Big Dipper/BeTopper LPC007, it is the same.
You can find it here: viewtopic.php?t=15993

Be sure to put the QXF File in your User Library (Windows: C:\\Users\\MyUser\\QLC+\\Fixtures ) and then restart QLC.
Last edited by MichelSliepenbeek on Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
mcallegari

Michel, can I please ask you to avoid writing with a huge font size?
To me it looks like you're shouting to people but maybe I'm an old generation guy and this is how people communicate these days...
Thanks
MichelSliepenbeek

Massimo,

I'm not shouting ;) , just wanted to put "a subtle but noticeable accent" on some essentials in my message.

I agree that the difference between Normal and Large (as being the first option larger than Normal) is to big to call it "subtle".
Just found out that if i select Large in the editor, i can then change the size in the TAG from 150 to 115.

I will use that next time.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
bluesmang6

Michel, I tried using the fixture definition for the BeTopper LPC007, as it's already in QLC, since it's very similar to the one I'm using, but nothing was working. I'm guessing based on Fredje's post above that the USB to DMX adapter I'm using is either not compatible with the LED light or QLC (or both). So I guess my only choice to purchase an Enttec open DMX adapter instead?

I got these lights for free and was just trying to find a cheap way to do some basic functions with them. If that Enttec adapter is the only way to get this to work, for the cost, I may just buy a cheaper analog DMX controller at half the price and use that instead.
MichelSliepenbeek

I just learned that you have to use the Enttec Open DMX protocol

Read Fredjes post again: he is not saying that you need to buy an Enttec Open, he says that you need to use the Enttec ... Protocol.
(Try to imagine that "Protocol" is in huge characters :) )
bluesmang6

Ah ok, I get it. Well, in my Inputs/Outputs, I see that the DMX USB I'm using has an option for Open DMX USB protocol and ENTTEC protocol, but I don't see any option for ENTTEC Open DMX protocol as Fredjes mentions. See the attached screenshot. Image

I've tried each individual option/protocol for the DMX USB, and nothing sends any signals to the light.
GGGss

MichelSliepenbeek wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:22 pm
(Try to imagine that "Protocol" is in huge characters :) )
ROFLOL in 225%
GGGss

bluesmang6 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:12 am Ah ok, I get it. Well, in my Inputs/Outputs, I see that the DMX USB I'm using has an option for Open DMX USB protocol and ENTTEC protocol, but I don't see any option for ENTTEC Open DMX protocol as Fredjes mentions. See the attached screenshot. Image

I've tried each individual option/protocol for the DMX USB, and nothing sends any signals to the light.
Your image didn't come through...
So choosing the Enttec open protocol in your input/output tab options, did not solve the problem? Did you play with the DMX frequency also?
Be sure to switch between edit / produce mode when changing the protocol mode for your adapter. USB Unlink and link again also helps.
In the thread I found on the web, there was a guy claiming that the Enttec open DMX protocol worked for your device.
MichelSliepenbeek

If you check the on-line manual
you will find:
Open TX: Enttec USB DMX Open (and clones) in output mode
MichelSliepenbeek

Check the Youtube video in this thread : viewtopic.php?t=16602
From 01:20 to 01:40 it confirms everything that Fredje stated before.

Unfortunately my Soundcraft UI16 does not provide this UDP option. :( :o
bluesmang6

Thanks everyone for the help. I seem to have everything set right, but nothing is working. Fredje, yes I tried changing to the open DMX protocol and changed the frequency from 15 up to 40 in increments of 5 and still no control of the light. Maybe I'm doing something else incorrect in the sofware? Let me try posting images again. Here are screenshots of the different sections of QLC and how I have them set, plus an image of the instructions from the light. I have the back of the light set to A001 to match the 7 channel that I'm using from the fixture.

https://i.imgur.com/IrFM7nA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1kxNLG9.png

https://i.imgur.com/dXJpTwK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/llK8SfL.jpg
bluesmang6

Can someone check my pics & make sure my settings are correct? I'd really like to get this working, but it's not looking so good at this point. Fredje, do you have a link to that thread you found on-line about the guy that got his same light working with the ENTTEC protocol? I searched and couldn't find anything.
MichelSliepenbeek

First Pic: "Device is operating correctly" and "System Timer Accuracy: Good".
This tells you that QLC is communicating with your DMX adapter, no reason to doubt that these settings should not be correct.

Second Pic: you have 2 fixtures but there is only one defined.
Add your second fixture to QLC as well to start at adress = 008.
Now set up both your fixtures (using the Menu, Next, Previous and Enter buttons at the back) for 7 channel DMX mode, starting at 001 (first fixture) and 008 (second one, don't forget to press Enter to save your settings) and connect your cables.

Third Pic: with those settings your fixtures will do nothing.
Put the master to 255 and at least one of the colors also to 255.

Fourth Pic: irrelevant as you can use the fixture Definition of the LPC007.

You might also watch this video https://youtu.be/W9YPYftJ3fc?feature=shared

The DMX Part is at 01:25.