OS2L issue via Network

The issues found when using the Input/Output Manager panel
Fantix38

Hello,

I have an issue with OS2L, I use it to link QLC+ and Virtual DJ, when i want to use it in local with the default settings (127.0.0.1:9996) it works pretty well
But when I try to use it via Network (QLC+ and Virtual DJ on different computers) it doesn't want to work.

The issue is that when i try changing setting, it seems to not to take into account my changes. Because it always shows me the default settings

But when I try only changing the port it works (even it doesn't show me the changes)
Therefore when I try the same thing for ip adress it doesn't want to work.

I use QLC+ 4.12.7 on Mac, but I've tried on lower versions (4.12.2 is the lowest supporting OS2L), also on beta 5.0.0, on both macOS 12, MacOS 13 and Windows 10 but it never work well

Does anyone know how to fix this ?

Thank you,
Fantin
GGGss

Welcome to the forum,

You mostly state 'it works' and 'it doesn't work'... for us to be helpful, we need more information. What does work: computer A ip-address x.x.x.x uses port number y and talks to computer B at z.z.z.z port w. With this info, we can follow your logic and may be able to point out what is wrong.
My first guess is: there is a firewall issue, not allowing network packets to come in.
In Windows there is a tool called Netstat, where you can have a look if the port, you configured, is open and bound to the right network address. I'm not aware Mac has such a tool. I presume it has.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
Fantix38

Hi,

First of all, thank you for your quick answer !
I've just tried again this morning and the problem was just gone. I could send OS2L instruction from Virtual DJ on computer A to QLC+ on computer B. On both Windows and macOS
Maybe I've messed around with IP adress or something else.

But I was surprised that no matter what i putted into "Host IP Adress" in QLC+ OS2L configuration, it don't cared about it (even when i put letters in it !)

Thank you again,
Fantin
GGGss

As per https://www.qlcplus.org/docs/html_en_EN/os2lplugin.html, I see QLC+ only can listen to OSL2 messages and cannot send them.
So actually the 'host' entry in the configuration box is a bit ambiguous (unless you are in a multihomed situation, where the computer has multiple IP addresses.)

The mechanism for how 'clients' and 'hosts' find each other is by the DNS-SD discovery method.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore