QLC+ - Artnet - Messing Up Wireless Network

Generic issues not specifically related to a QLC+ area.
Post here only if you can't really find the reason of an issue
jmo1112

I'm running QLC+ 4.12.7 on Windows 10. Using it with an Artnet device to run 3 fixtures in my home studio. The Artnet DMX interface (Chauvet) is connected to my home network. When I open QLC+, all of my WiFi devices (iPhone, iPad, laptop, Firestick, etc) either stop being able to access the internet and local network, or work poorly/intermittently. When I close QLC+, all network activity returns to normal.
The Inputs/Outputs tab in QLC+ only has one Artnet Plugin address selected (my DMX interface). Every other box is unchecked. Am I missing something here? What else can I do to resolve this? I've tested every other device in the chain, and this software is very clearly the culprit.
GGGss

Welcome to the forum,

You didn't mention how QLC+ is connected to the network, but I'm quite sure it is connected through Wifi also.
Artnet is a 'broadcast' network type based on UDP protocol. 'Shoot and forget' to everyone listening. Wifi in general doesn't like this kind of network traffic, because broadcast packets overwhelm the basic capacity. So most Wifi access points have something inside called 'broadcast storm filters'. This is bad for the DMX signal train because it only works intermittently.

A solution may be to set the options inside QLC+ to use Unicast vs Broadcast. This is done by selecting the Artnet output line, going to configuration, and typing in the full address of your Artnet DMX interface. Now QLC+ 'talks' directly to the Artnet interface, and leaves the rest of the bandwidth available to others.
Another -optional- solution would be to limit the number of channels QLC+ sends out - but stick to Unicast.

If your QLC+ computer is connected by wire, I suggest making it a multi-home device using another network segment for Artnet only. (Something in the 10.x.x.x or 2.x.x.x range). Your Artnet interface will have to move also of course.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
jmo1112

Well that appears to have done it. My laptop is connected via WiFi, and I was broadcasting using .255. Had no idea that's what was happening... or even a configuration option. Rookie mistake, I suppose. Thanks for your help and in-depth explanation. Pointed me to the exact problem.