New Dark Mode (QLC 4)

This is a place for sharing with the community the results you achieved with QLC+, as a sort of use case collection.
You can share photos, videos, personal hardware/software projects, interesting HOWTO that might help other users to achieve great results.
rajones203

Hi Everyone,

Ever since moving to Ubuntu, I had been using the Dark Theme located here: https://github.com/EmerickH/qlcplus-dar ... sStyle.qss ;

I started messing around with the colors and found some decent results. I don't know QT or CSS much at all, so I was mostly hunting and pecking to find the widgets. I would like some others to contribute because it seems like there are not many putting effort into this publicly. You can really get the GUI looking sexy with a little work!

The biggest problem I have is not knowing exactly why these changes happen in the stylesheet, and if there are any widgets that we can add to this to fix the last few "Light" elements. I know about the GM thing for example, but there are probably others that I'm missing. But for example the script edit window, the show background page, etc.... What would we write in the stylesheet to change that kind of stuff?

Anyway, here are a couple screenshots. Will attach the Qss file too.

Thanks for your feedback!
Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-06-08 11-29-00.png
Screenshot from 2023-06-08 11-27-53.png
Screenshot from 2023-06-08 11-21-33.png
______

Russell Jones
TV Professional - EVS, Producer/Director
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
rajones203

Here is the attachment with the QSS file. Please change and let me know what you find/like/hate!
Attachments
RJonesDarkMode.zip
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
______

Russell Jones
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
rajones203

I did some changes today.

- Changed the Radio and Checkbox fields
-Changed the Tab bar to align to center always. This fixed a bug where the tab-bar was getting lost on certain panes.
-Changed some fonts to yellow from white
-Adjusted font sizes
-Adjusted other various colors to blend things in and make it more smooth on the eye.

Renamed it QLCGradientDark for now.
Attachments
QLCGradientDark_V1.zip
(1.43 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
______

Russell Jones
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
hansjuergen

Hi and thank you for your thoughts about the dark mode improvements,
Just my 2ct, I am also using the virtual console in dark mode as this is the best fit for the light conditions in shows.

But I think the future for such optimizations lies in the QML-based version 5.
Please cross-check if your needs are already satisfied therein. It would be great if you can also help to improve the new version which is around the corner.
I see a very limited benefit in updating the existing version 4 at this point in time.
rajones203

Thank you, that is where my knowledge has hit a brick wall. I would love to turn every one of those sliders into a gradient too. It looks like it can be done, but I cant figure it out. Anything with those hard-coded sliders I cant seem to make look good due to lack of knowing the source. Maybe someone can give some hints on how that area is formatted because I have no clue..

I did spend quite a few hours rebuilding the theme using the basic customization guide linked to in the user docs, and attached it.

You can see where I've messed with the FixtureConsole Sliders a bit. Its about halfway there, but I cant seem to get rid of that padding/border around the slider. I know I'm fudging it at this point there and just guessing. Also, the Frame Edit window on the and the input manager (like the Artnet or MIDI setup) are the pop-up windows not styled.

Glad to help bring something to the community!!!!!!
Attachments
QLCDarkGradient_V2.zip
(2.38 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
______

Russell Jones
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
rajones203

Screenshot for reference:
Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-06-09 12-43-17.png
______

Russell Jones
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
rajones203

I'm trying to do this in a better, cleaner fashion. And learning bits and bits of the programming as I go along.

My question to the developers:

1. In the QSS file, for the dark theme that most have downloaded and used, there are specific UI elements (FixtureConsole, FixtureMonitor) etc....

Are there other specific UI names (very specifically the Virtual Console Tab), that can be styled separate from the rest of the UIs?

I'm trying to build off of the QT customization guides, copy and pasting either full examples, or individual elements

In my experience so far, I cannot get a clean theme going throughout without disabling the user background-colors on the VC section.

I know I'm a noob and just need a helping hand to answer if this is not possible due to the code.

I currently am having trouble doing a build, but I need to 1st birthday my machine before I give up on it, start from scratch.
______

Russell Jones
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
GGGss

I guess your best friend will be the github repository - it might enumerate all elements, but I'm not sure where exactly.
Maybe someone else can help here?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
rajones203

That's what I thought too, but what stone to un-turn first is right where I'm at.
______

Russell Jones
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
janosvitok

UI code is in https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/t ... ter/ui/src.
Most of the UI is specified in .ui files (they are just XML files). You can open the UI files in QT Creator. You'll find widget classes/names in the .ui files.

Some of the widgets are created programmatically. If you don't find something in the .ui file, you have to check .cpp file, start from the constructor
(method that has the same name as the class) and go from there.

If you need something specific, ask here.

Jano
rajones203

Thank you for pointing to the stone.
______

Russell Jones
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
Robertop

Hi everyone,
I updated to version 4.13 but it doesn't add the dark mod.
Thank you all
emplant2000

I'm getting same situaion as 4.13.0.

mack@vaio0001:~/.qlcplus$ ls -la
合計 40
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mack mack 4015 3月 24 07:10 qlcplusStyle.qss

the fle is not effect...

Any idea??
rajones203

You still need to download the correct dark mode style sheet and drop it in the correct folder for your OS. (/home/.qlcplus on Ubuntu). Do a quick search and I’m sure you’ll find it.
______

Russell Jones
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
Robertop

Hi, the .qss file was copied to the right folder in W10, but it doesn't start in dark mode.
mcallegari

There's been a change in styles in 4.13.0 so old templates will no longer work.
I'll update the documentation as soon as possible.
In the meantime you can check the thread where the change started (see my comment in October 26th)
viewtopic.php?t=16688
Robertop

Thank you Massimo for your constantly evolving work, we await the changes, Thank you
mcallegari

Documentation updated
Robertop

Ok updated documentation...now? do we wait for the new file.qss to be compiled or should it be installed in another path?
Yestalgia

Robertop wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm Ok updated documentation...now? do we wait for the new file.qss to be compiled or should it be installed in another path?
You'll need to either fix it yourself or wait until someone else fixes it. There are a bunch of new themes floating around from various users to help you get an understanding of the new system.

I'd look into NukeTheFox's specifically.

Cheers.