How to create a "flash" fader with specified range?

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
Strezzed

So I have some moving heads with a build in strobe functionality, which activates when the dimmer is between 135 and 239 and adjusts the speed accordingly.
I have read in the manual you can create a fader which starts a scene and controls the intensity(like a "flash" button). However, I do to set it up so it stays in that range.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide on this? Sorry if it is a newbie question haha

Also, how can I set it up so it returns to the previous setting? Don't know if that could work due to HTP.

Thanks!

- Tom
GGGss

A slider in VC can have a lower and upper limit: https://www.qlcplus.org/docs/html_en_EN/vcslider.html "configuration - Level tab"

In combination with your wanted flash behavior: there isn't an out of the box solution.
Start with a frame,
place your slider inside (range limited) in level control
To keep it simple we'll make use of some loopback magic:
add a dimmer channel inside a loopback universe
create a scene with his dimmer set to level 255
add a button to your VC
set the button to flash behavior
bind the scene with the loopback dimmer to this button
in the frame we created, add to the property, the external control - being the dimmer in the loopback universe

Now you should be able to flash en-/disable the frame.
Now the strobe value selected should be applied on top of the 'living' values.
This all works because of HTP and your strobe intensities are higher than the normal applied intensity values.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
prophy17

Excuse me. Maybe I am not right. But why in such situation you don't think at all about the level tab configuration of the sliders.
I am talking about :
- Virtual console select
- Download a Slider
- The Configuration of such slider select
- The Level tab select
- The Fixture list select
- The Fixture of the moving head select
- The Channel with the strobo function of such moving head select.
That's all step by step.
And after - using this slider for the strobo function, maybe without making scenes. Excuse me one more time, if I am wrong.
Best regards.
GGGss

prophy17 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:12 pm
which activates when the dimmer is between 135 and 239 and adjusts the speed accordingly.
The OP did request a limiting intensity slider
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
MichelSliepenbeek

I have the same fixtures.
I solved the problem by deciding only to use this specific channel for Intensity/level and use a RGB Matrix if I need a strobe.

I used a Channel Modifier to realise this (by restricting the Range to values 0 - 134).

Channel Modifier.jpg

On the Fixtures Tab you press the Channel Properties Button.
Now find the Fixture and Channel you want to modify and click on the modifier box.
Create a new modifier and set it up like on the attached JPG.
Don't forget to save it (with a name that makes sense to you).

Now you can use this channel as if it were "Level Only".
There are some disadvantages, as the sensitivity is only half (so it will work less subtle) and it might be confusing that the value you see in your slider or you set in a scene is different from what is sent to the Fixture (and what you see in the Monitor in DMX Mode).

If you still want to use a Strobe as well:
First create a Fixture Group and then create a RGBMatrix with Pattern = Strobe and select Control Mode = Dimmer.
Now add a Cue List and set some presets with the timing options you want to use (e.g. Fast Strobe, Medium Strobe, Slow Strobe).
If you are familiar with LoopBack you can even create a slider to adjust your strobe frequency.

Be aware that you can also add other Fixtures to the Fixture Group (that way assuring that all those fixtures will "Strobe In Sync" and will increase or decrease the frequency in the same way).
It might be wise to check your Fixture Definition: this specific channel should be defined as Intensity (not as Shutter).
Finally: you can also use the RGBMatrix with Control Mode = Default (RGB) and Blend Mode = Mask. If you want to run your strobe on different colors, this way you don't have to create separate RGBMatrices for all the colors you want to use.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"