Latency when playing audio files

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Windows operating system
Louac

Hello,
I have a problem with playing an audio track in a show. The software puts a latency of a few seconds before being able to play the sound file. This shifts the light sequences and the other sound tracks. I'm on windows 10 and using QLC+ version 4.12.6.
I put the sound files in the QLC+ folder.
The osns files are in .mp3, 44100hz.
I did not find an answer to my problem on the forum and I hope not to make duplicates.
Can you help me solve this problem?
Thanks
kenact

Can you provide your workspace and the audio file, if possible?
thibaultphil

Good morning,
I have the same unsolved problem so far (viewtopic.php?p=66549#p66549).
what is your sound card?
THANKS
joliebrousseau

Hello! It sounds like you're experiencing some latency issues when playing an audio track in QLC+. Here are a few things you could try to solve the problem:

Adjust the audio latency settings in QLC+: Go to the "Audio" tab in the "Preferences" menu and try adjusting the audio latency settings to see if that improves the synchronization between the audio track and the light sequences. You may need to experiment a bit to find the optimal latency settings for your system.

Try converting your audio files to a different format: Some audio file formats may be more prone to latency issues than others. You could try converting your audio files to a different format (e.g., WAV instead of MP3) to see if that helps.

Check your system's audio settings: Make sure that your system's audio settings are properly configured and that there are no conflicting settings that could be causing latency issues. You could also try updating your audio drivers to see if that helps.
kenact

joliebrousseau wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:11 pm Hello! It sounds like you're experiencing some latency issues when playing an audio track in QLC+.
I'm dealing with the same problem. It is not a latency issue with the audio file. I have a Show set up with an MP3 file that is 4m13s968ms and a lighting track set to start at the same time, but only runs for 4m12s47ms.

I have used a stop watch to time the Show, and the music track ends exactly at 4m13s986ms, but the lighting runs approximately 6 seconds longer than the audio track, even though it should end before the music track.
thibaultphil

In show mode, is the sound slider aligned with the peaks of the music waves?
joliebrousseau

kenact wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:53 pm
joliebrousseau wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:11 pm Hello! It sounds like you're experiencing some latency issues when playing an audio track in QLC+.
I'm dealing with the same problem. It is not a latency issue with the audio file. I have a Show set up with an MP3 file that is 4m13s968ms and a lighting track set to start at the same time, but only runs for 4m12s47ms.

I have used a stop watch to time the Show, and the music track ends exactly at 4m13s986ms, but the lighting runs approximately 6 seconds longer than the audio track, even though it should end before the music track.

It sounds like the issue may be with the synchronization between the lighting track and the audio track. Here are a few things you could try to resolve this issue:

Check that the lighting track is set to start at the same time as the audio track: Make sure that the lighting track is set to start at the same time as the audio track. Double-check the settings to ensure that everything is set up correctly.

Adjust the lighting track duration: If the lighting track is running for longer than it should be, try adjusting the duration of the lighting track to match the length of the audio track more closely.

Try adjusting the fade-in and fade-out times: If the issue is with the transition between the lighting track and the audio track, try adjusting the fade-in and fade-out times for the lighting track to see if that improves the synchronization.

Consider using a different software: If none of the above solutions work, it may be worth considering using a different software that is better suited to your needs.
kenact

joliebrousseau wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:32 am It sounds like the issue may be with the synchronization between the lighting track and the audio track. Here are a few things you could try to resolve this issue:

Check that the lighting track is set to start at the same time as the audio track: Make sure that the lighting track is set to start at the same time as the audio track. Double-check the settings to ensure that everything is set up correctly.

Adjust the lighting track duration: If the lighting track is running for longer than it should be, try adjusting the duration of the lighting track to match the length of the audio track more closely.

Try adjusting the fade-in and fade-out times: If the issue is with the transition between the lighting track and the audio track, try adjusting the fade-in and fade-out times for the lighting track to see if that improves the synchronization.

Consider using a different software: If none of the above solutions work, it may be worth considering using a different software that is better suited to your needs.
Thank you for your response, but as I stated, I played the Show cue and timed it with a stop watch on the very same computer. I have recorded the audio output of the Show, and it matches the length of the actual audio track. The audio is taking the exact amount of time being reported by QLC+. The lighting track, which is started at the exact same time, and is set to end more than a second earlier than the audio track, takes 6 seconds longer to complete. This has nothing to do with audio latency. It is not a fade-in/fade-out issue. The fade-out is set to 0ms, fade-in is 3s and hold is 4m9s47ms, with a duration of 4m12s47ms.

I have been using this software for more than 8 years, it has always suited my needs. As someone with nearly 50 years of computer programming experience, I feel confident in reporting this as a software bug.
joliebrousseau

Based on your description, it does sound like there may be a software bug that is causing the lighting track to take longer than expected to complete.

I would recommend reporting the issue to the QLC+ development team so that they can investigate and fix the problem. You can submit a bug report on the QLC+ website or on their GitHub page. Be sure to provide as much detail as possible about your setup and the steps you took to reproduce the issue, as well as any logs or other diagnostic information that may be helpful in identifying the cause of the problem.

In the meantime, you may want to try some workarounds, such as adjusting the timing of the lighting cues or using a different lighting software if possible, to ensure that your show runs smoothly.
kenact

joliebrousseau wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:02 am Based on your description, it does sound like there may be a software bug that is causing the lighting track to take longer than expected to complete.

I would recommend reporting the issue to the QLC+ development team so that they can investigate and fix the problem. You can submit a bug report on the QLC+ website or on their GitHub page. Be sure to provide as much detail as possible about your setup and the steps you took to reproduce the issue, as well as any logs or other diagnostic information that may be helpful in identifying the cause of the problem.
Others have reported the bug and I have added all the information I have.
joliebrousseau wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:02 am In the meantime, you may want to try some workarounds, such as adjusting the timing of the lighting cues or using a different lighting software if possible, to ensure that your show runs smoothly.
The workaround for my most recent play was to replace my audio file with a WMV video file, which worked for my situation, but will not work for many others. I only needed a single lighting change at 1 specific spot, near the end of my audio track. Others need to need to view the wave while in Show mode, to see multiple hit points to synchronize their lighting.