Newb question: Using QLC+ to program a lighting recorder

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
AdeMcT

Please forgive the newbie question. I've trawled through the forum but I can't find anything that directly answers my question. I am a total novice at this.

I've inherited a lighting rig at a museum. Currently it consists of a lighting controller (Showtec Easy Fade 36), used to record sequences manually directly into a Stairville DR-1 DMX Recorder. Then the controller is disconnected and the recorder then plays the sequences through the lights. My question is - Can I use QLC+ directly linked to the DMX recorder to record sequences or do I have to get rid of the controller and Recorder and use QLC+ instead of them - i.e. link the lights directly to QLC+?

Can anyone link me to a video showing how to link QLC+ with a recorder rather than the actual lights?
GGGss

Welcome to the forum,

So you want to replace the hardware by QLC+?
If you can get hold of a DMX interface with DMX in and out, you could record (capture) individual looks. By dumping them in scenes and combining the scenes in a chaser, you could replay the looks you captured.
But I think it will be way quicker, just setting the scenes in QLC+.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
mcallegari

[moderator] please read the various forum section descriptions before posting. Moved to the proper area.
AdeMcT

GGGss wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:45 pm Welcome to the forum,

So you want to replace the hardware by QLC+?
If you can get hold of a DMX interface with DMX in and out, you could record (capture) individual looks. By dumping them in scenes and combining the scenes in a chaser, you could replay the looks you captured.
But I think it will be way quicker, just setting the scenes in QLC+.
Oops. My apologies for posting in the wrong forum!

Thank you for your response! I don't know whether I want to replace the hardware - that's the question. For context, the Museum is a public, un-manned space. The DMX DP-1 Recorder is hidden high up in the ceiling and we don't have anywhere to put a controller (or a laptop) - which is why we record a sequence then take the controller away. What I'm asking is if QLC+ can connect to the recorder, then I create and upload (and save for later use) a sequence to the recorder? I apologise - I don't know what a 'look' or a 'chaser' is.
Last edited by AdeMcT on Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GGGss

ok again,

If you can get hold of a DMX interface with DMX out, QLC+ can be used to prepare a look. (A look is a combination of fixtures at certain intensity levels, color and gobo, ... How you stage looks when you call this scene).
QLC+ will produce DMX signals, which your recorder can capture. QLC+ will __not__ connect to the interface of the recorder. It can produce DMX signals when you have a DMX interface.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore