QLC PI becoming non-responsive

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
cheltgar

Hi

New to QLC+. I have it installed and running on a Raspberry Pi3, and used it at a gig for the first time on Saturday night.
I have my pedalboard (Line 6 HX Effects) sending midi into the pi to trigger the virtual console.

It was all running fine, then partway through the gig - stopped responding. I went to the web interface from my Mac, and that wasn't responding either. I rebooted the pi (I added a PSU with a switch to reboot, so a bit of a blunt was to do it), and it ran for another hour, then froze again. Again rebooted.

Now im not at the gig, I want to have the system running and hopefully diagnose what is going wrong - but dont really know where to start.

I have had the pi running for a couple of hours.... and its frozen again. If I go to the web interface (after freeze - was working when I started the pi) it says 'Can't reach the server', however I can ping and ssh onto the pi in this state.

Could you please give me any advise on how to diagnose, and I guess the first question is - where are the logs on the Pi
All I have been able to see so far (and only know the basics of unix) is using systemctl list-units --type=service the entry for qlcplus.service had state Loaded : Active : Exited -> Does this mean that it has crashed?
When I reboot the pi, it has the status Loaded : Active : Running

BTW - apart from the crashes - totally loving QLC+ !!!!

Kind regards
SPOPATT

Could you share your file so we can take a look?
cheltgar

Would love to, but that’s my first question. Where are the relevant logs located
cheltgar

Hi
Sorry for the nudge, but could someone please tell me where the qlc+ logs are located on a Raspberry Pi - any help would be really appreciated
mcallegari

There is no log. QLC+ is built in release mode so no logs are produced.
To debug an issue you need a debug build which is not provided unless you build QLC+ yourself.
We could help if you provide more details, otherwise you're on your own.
First thing that comes in my mind is overheating.
Try another Pi or keeping it colder.
markzvo

I had this issue and how I solved it was to use SATA SSD storage vs the microSD card (available with the Pi4).
shad

I have the same issue described above. The only clue about why it crashes is when I run it from the command line: /usr/bin/qlcplus -platform eglfs --nowm --web --web-auth --operate --open /root/.qlcplus/autostart.qxw
Within anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes I get: free(): invalid next size (fast)
Attachments
Fixtures.zip
(13.51 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
qlc 45.qxw
(263.12 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
GGGss

Your project does not look over complicated, whilst you have some CPU-intensive EFX running.
My eggs in your basket: a thermal problem where the CPU protects itself by shutting down cores (?)
There are some nifty aluminum cases available with passive cooling. I don't trust those with those mini blowers myself.
Even with the passive cooling case, built in a small flightcase, the Raspi still gets hands-friendly warm. Imagine the state of the CPU inside...
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
shad

Thanks for checking my project. I am running a raspberry 4B 4GB with an GeeekPi Thin ICE heatsink & Fan. /usr/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp reports temp=29.2'C, never seen it get above 32'C. I don't think it is over heating and shutting down cores. Other process remain running. Googling "free(): invalid next size (fast)" is some sort of memory error cause by an error in the code.
GGGss

To be honest, I didn't run the 4.12.7 yet on my raspi's...
What version do you run? Did you compile it yourself?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
mcallegari

Usually when I need to debug this type of issues, I try to cut the problem in slices.
Since there are many factors influencing the outcome, I check each one of them one by one.
For example:
- try another raspberry (so validate your RPi)
- try your project on a PC (validate your project)
- try another power supply (validate external causes)
- try without IO connected (validate peripherals)
- start to remove pieces of your project until it doesn't hang (validate project quality)
- etc

I think you get the idea.