DMX in VRChat: VR Stage Lighting + QLC+ Megathread

This is a place for sharing with the community the results you achieved with QLC+, as a sort of use case collection.
You can share photos, videos, personal hardware/software projects, interesting HOWTO that might help other users to achieve great results.
AcChosen

Hi!

So I've been working on an open-source project for VRCHat for a couple of years now that aims to bring live DMX lighting into the game by encoding the data into pixels of a live stream. Combining this with our community-grown dedicated streaming service, VRCDN, we can use a relay type system to stream different parts of a live event (from music to VJ visuals, to finally DMX lighting) into a single video stream and send the data to VRChat (to control lights, shaders, and other properties) as one properly synced package. For this project, many of us use QLC+ extensively to run our shows as well as use it as a test bench for the development of the project.

"VR Stage Lighting is a year-long project that started out as a means to research and develop a performant/reliable way to send lighting data (including DMX512) to VRChat. It has evolved into creating a package of assets that can bring quality lighting effects in all manner of ways performantly.

This performance is provided through a standardized set of custom shaders that aim to avoid things such as real-time unity lights and using cost-saving measures such as GPU-instancing and batching."

Here is the GitHub link for more information. https://github.com/AcChosen/VR-Stage-Lighting

I'll be updating this thread periodically with different clips and updates about performances we do using QLC+ as well as other important developments that I think might seem interesting to you all.

For starters, I'll link some videos of my own event, the Orion Music Festival. An annual, 2-day music festival we host in VRChat showcasing VR Stage Lighting to its fullest.

Be warned, we're all doing this for fun and none of us are pros or even moderately experienced in any of this (truly we have no idea what we're doing), so I apologize if our lighting skills are a bit... rough looking.

Here are some clips from Orion Music Festival 2021:

Here is 2022:

Aftermovie:

This is what the DMX data looks like in the stream:

Diagram of the production pipeline

A picture of my own personal setup using QLC+ and TouchOSC along with a few midi controllers.

Here is a setup from one of our main camera directors (okay, he was technically the only one with any really true experience in any kind of live production)

Here is our website if you want more information on the specifics of the production behind the scenes including how the lighting, camera, and other aspects work in detail:
https://tech.orionvr.club/

I will be editing this thread over time with more clips and videos as well as any major updates we've discovered that I feel might be interesting to you all!
Yestalgia

Seriously cool, thanks for sharing!

This is a very important use case for QLC+ going into the future.
Yestalgia

Also what are those midi controllers? They're gorgeous!
AcChosen

Yestalgia wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:47 pm Seriously cool, thanks for sharing!
Thanks!~ QLC+ has been integral to the development of this as its simplicity and ease of access allowed me to really deep dive into the DMX protocol and properly test different aspects of sACN and Artnet.

Yestalgia wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:46 am Also what are those midi controllers? They're gorgeous!
The first picture has a APC 40 MKII, a Launchpad Mini MkIII, and a laptop with a custom TouchOSC layout.

The second picture is not a midi controller but a proper professional PTZ camera controller. I think its made of multiple modules with some modules from BlackMagic. My camera director that uses it remapped its buttons to midi buttons in software to use inside of VRChat as VRChat can take MIDI natively, where we programmed a mappable virtual camera system.
mcallegari

I love this type of projects! Thanks for sharing.
The pipeline is also very interesting for me, having a video streaming development background.
I've been discovering VRChat a couple of years ago when COVID made us ask ourselves if live shows could be done in a virtual world.
Well, the answer is still not clear but projects like this get us closer to be together apart.