Editing an RGB Panel

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
pandas

How do you edit an RGB panel's properties?

I can't find a way to edit properties for RGB panel once created. Things like orientation, displacement, direction. The properties icon greys out and I cant seem to find any other way. Am I missing something?

QLC+ 4.12.5
MacOS Ventura 13.1
sandinak

So .. when you create an RGP panel, it creates a FixtureGroup and you can edit a few things via the associated FixtureGroup:
Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 09.06.04.png
  • you can change the size of the panel
  • you can move around LEDS in the panel one at a time ( one of my students discovered you can drag on top of another and it swaps the pixels, quite useful)
  • you can add rows and columns of other fixtures via the arrows on the right.
That being said I found it very cumbersome when dealing with large panels and such. You can't bulk edit any rows or columns, and visualizing the group and scrolling around large groups is difficult.
Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 09.09.17.png
So I updated my fixture group tool to export and import fixture groups into spreadsheet tabs. There, you can move things around the cells and then reimport the fixture group as needed. This is in beta right now, but if you're interested in testing https://github.com/sandinak/qlcplus-tools. Feel free to PM me as needed, and i'll work to get this release ready shortly ;) I just used this to create a single fixture group with the entire stage mapped ~7500 LEDs across 64 universes!
pandas

Thanks for the info on the fixture group tool! Much appreciated I'll give it a try.

However I'm still looking for a way to edit RGB Panel properties specifically. Orientation, displacement, direction these are RGB Panel properties not fixture group properties.

EDIT:

I just checked the xml for the project file and these properties, (Orientation, displacement, direction) are not being persisted in the files.

Does this mean they are only used to generate the original positioning?

Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 6.20.15 AM.png
Last edited by pandas on Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sandinak

Ahh, so an RGBPanel creates the LED "fixtures" in the DMX space, and then creates a FixtureGroup given the values you specify. The issue is those Orientation, displacement and direction values are used to create the FixtureGroup once. They're not used after this. If you make a mistake, you can either a> delete the associated DMX "fixtures" and FixtureGroup and then recreate them with new values; or b> edit the FixtureGroup to place the LEDs in the correct orientation, displacement and direction. ( and in-fact was one of the reasons I wrote my tool :)
pandas

I appreciate the info. Now your editing tool makes even more sense :)

I will write up some code to reconfigure the XML. Im already doing a bit of that for my LED strings.

SOLVED. Thanks again you've been a great help.