Best cheap midi controller/ Launchpad pro MK3??

This is a place for sharing with the community the results you achieved with QLC+, as a sort of use case collection.
You can share photos, videos, personal hardware/software projects, interesting HOWTO that might help other users to achieve great results.
youguy7

Hi all,

I am pretty new to QLC+. I've gotten into it because I've started an entertainment company and invested a good amount into lights and want to learn how to use them as best I can.
I really want to set up a midi controller to control the lights, to make it easier for myself, and so I can teach others how to perform basic functions.
I also need to program a controller for lasers, but that's another topic.

I have a novation launchpad pro mk3, however I have spent lots of time looking for how to set that up with no success. Has anyone made this work before?

If not, I might consider buying another midi controller (ideally with lots of programmable pads) that I could use to control the lights through QLC+. Any suggestions for one that would be easy to set up and relatively inexpensive?

Any and all input/suggestions is appreciated. I don't have too much coding/programming experience.
GGGss

Set it in the right mode (Mackie?) and create an input-profile for it... Use the input-profile for the mk2 as source?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
djnikkofb

Akai Mini Mk2 - $89. Amazon
DJ NIKKO - FLAVOREDBREAKS
SOUTH CAROLINA - EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT DJ
- WEDREAMSC.COM - @DJNIKKOFB
MichelSliepenbeek

It all depends on what other HardWare you are using, more specific: does your computer have a touch screen?

I run QLC+ on an All In One PC with a 24 inch Touch Screen.
In that situation it is a lot easier to create an 8 by 8 button matrix somewhere on the screen then to set up and use a LaunchPad.

A BIG touch screen is almost perfect to run a light show (i advise you to start with that), the only thing you are missing is a few buttons (real feal buttons that click, not pads) for flashes and sliders for fast changes.
I would go for an Elation Midicon (or the cheaper Ayra Digicon) or a Behringer X-Touch (or the older BCF2000, because of the motorised faders).
If you don't want to spend too much money straight away, you could also start with a Korg NanoControl. To get an impression and instruction how to set it up you could watch watch YouTube video "Pt 10 QLCplus midi control" by Edward Richards [youtube]https://youtu.be/OoRkQamAMdE[/youtube].

As an alternative you might consider a Behringer Eurolight LC 2412, to use it as a MIDI Table.
This is one of the few conventional Light Tables that has a complete MIDI implementation. It will give you lots of sliders in a conventional set up.
Be aware that the Showtec SC 2412 and all its rebranded versions lack this functionality.

Finally you could watch the YouTube Videos "HOW TO - Connect Novation Launchpad Pro to QLC+" from Nate the Lighting Guy [youtube]https://youtu.be/kb_ciAgGDm8[/youtube] [youtube]https://youtu.be/mX0Uoj98OZU[/youtube] [youtube]https://youtu.be/bluyccis77Q[/youtube].
This seems to be the perfect answer to your question (it shows an inexperienced QLC user how to set up the launch pad, he even provides an input Profile and Fixture Definition somewhere on this forum).
My advise however would be not to take this direction!!!!!!
The way he makes his Launchpad work however, is by defining The Launchpad as Input and as Output.
As in QLC you have to decide between Output and Feedback (as far as i know they really exclude each other) this means you give up all the powerfull FeedBack functions that QLC does provide you.
In a way you select to go a different way than the QLC developers had in mind when they made this functionality.
If everyone goes in one direction and you are the only one to go the opposite direction, you are either a genius or you are on a road to nowhere.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
giacomo

I like a lot the Behringer X-Touch Mini
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15241
Simple controller but when you have some channels in "monitor channels level" the knobs will update to the level :)
Probably if someone wants to investigate it deeper, it should be possible to use the knobs as endless encoders.
Yestalgia

+1 for BCF2000 I used it for years and still keep it as a backup. It is always what I recommend as a first midi controller for QLC+ as it has the most documentation.
GGGss

+1 for BCF2000 (actually bought a third one last week for €75)
+1 for the novation launch controls al kind of models. They perform and do their job.
+1 for the midicon (but this is the expensive option)
Are we getting Off Topic now?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
MichelSliepenbeek

I Guess it is up to YouGuy7 (Dan K) to decide whether we are getting off topic.

Does anyone agree with me that when you use QLC on a PC with Touch Screen a Launch Pad does not add any value?
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
giacomo

I agree that while working I cannot spend a day to program the button lights for my midi controller :)
Nevertheless the approach is interesting and thanks for linking it, I never thought I could build a fixture definition.
Yestalgia

MichelSliepenbeek wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:01 pm I Guess it is up to YouGuy7 (Dan K) to decide whether we are getting off topic.

Does anyone agree with me that when you use QLC on a PC with Touch Screen a Launch Pad does not add any value?
Can't say I agree. I need my hands on the actual interface which causes issues with a touchscreen. Touchscreens are essential but midi gets you way closer to your functions.

Though this is in a club/DJ busking showfile. You can make do for theatre I believe.
edogawa

Same for me in theater (spoken theater, jazz/ethno music concerts, discussion events etc. mostly).

I experiment with QLC+ 4 and 5 on a 23" touchscreen, and remote control them via webinterface/browser on Android tablet or phone.

It's ok for designing scenes, rehearsing, focussing, whatever, but not for running a show. I need the haptic feedback from real buttons and faders, so I tend to use MIDI controllers or a hardware lighting desk.

It's just too easy to accidentally touch that screen somewhere and do something unintended.

For our own shows we moved to programming the lighting desk and fire the cues, along with sound and video, from Qlab via MIDI, so that one person can run a show unless it also has lots of wireless mics or other stuff that needs extra maintainance. That weakens my argument but still, I wouldn't dare to be without physical input controls. All too often something unexpected happens and I have to interfer and find my way back into normal operation, and that are the stressful moments where this really is important, IMHO.
Most modern consoles like ETC Eos family, Strand Neo, Chamsys, Onyx NX all support touchscreens but as an alternative input method, You'll rarely find a theater without a physical surface for these systems, with buttons and faders to program it.