Web Interface QLC Mac

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Mac OSX operating system
djmax87

Good evening everyone, still a new question, I tried to peek in the forum but nothing to do. My qlc is installed on my macbook pro, i would like to install on my iphone in lan, then reach it from web page. I can't do it, how can I do? I read that there is something to edit on the mac like lines of like command lines and similar. Could you help me? Thank you very much
mcallegari

djmax87

thanks for the answer, I read the guide but I didn't understand anything of what I have to do :( Could you sp
djmax87

I can't proceed with what I read in the guides, could someone tell me step by step how and what to do? Thank you
edogawa

I've copied the relevant passage and moved the things you have to type, into markdown code blocks so you can better see what to do.
OSX:
This is the most difficult case since QLC+ on OSX is bundled into a DMG package.

You need to open a terminal and "cd" into the QLC+ DMG like this:

Code: Select all

cd QLC+.app\Contents\MacOS
When done, type "qlcplus" followed by the parameters you need

qlcplus -w
djmax87

edogawa wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:28 am I've copied the relevant passage and moved the things you have to type, into markdown code blocks so you can better see what to do.
OSX:
This is the most difficult case since QLC+ on OSX is bundled into a DMG package.

You need to open a terminal and "cd" into the QLC+ DMG like this:

cd QLC+.app\Contents\MacOS
When done, type "qlcplus" followed by the parameters you need

qlcplus -w
i opened the qlc from terminal from that folder, then from that path, in terminal i entered that command but nothing happens
edogawa

If I can find time later today at work where the Macs I have access to are, I'll have a look at it.
djmax87

edogawa wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:51 am If I can find time later today at work where the Macs I have access to are, I'll have a look at it.
okok no problem, saying thank you is not much, unfortunately there is something I can't understand and I'm wrong, as soon as you can you really tell me step by step. Thank you very much
djmax87

nothing to do, I did some tests but I can't quite understand what the steps are, as soon as you can, can you tell me step by step?
mcallegari

Sorry to interrupt, but this is a generic OS-related question.
This is macOS knowledge, not QLC+ related.
Googling a little bit I found this:
https://superuser.com/questions/16750/h ... -in-mac-os

An alternative I've been suggested is Automator:
https://support.apple.com/guide/automator/welcome/mac
mlohrey

This was discussed here:
viewtopic.php?p=45974#p45974

(Edgar just used back slashes '\' instead of forward '/' ;-) )

If you want to access it from your phone, then your phone will need to be on the same network as the mac and you will need to access the webpage via the mac's IP address, and as Massimo said, this could be found in a MacOS specific (or any web discussion really) discussion.
monodistortion

I'll try to help since the instructions here are clearly wrong and don't work on a Mac.
https://www.qlcplus.org/old/docs/html_e ... eters.html

In the Mac terminal you use the "/" to separate directories. In the terminal you would type:

cd /Applications/QLC+.app/Contents/MacOS
One useful trick on Macs is you can drag the file or folder into the terminal window to get its path, so you could just type "cd " and drag the folder into the terminal window to save time.

Then to run the application type:

./qlcplus
The "./" (dot slash) is required in the Unix command line to run a program in the current directory.
https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/d/dotslash.htm

Running the application with the web interface or with any of the other startup options is similar:

./qlcplus -w
Or, you can skip the "cd" command and run the app directly from the first command:

/Applications/QLC+.app/Contents/MacOS/qlcplus -w
Also, if you're new to Unix terminal commands-- you can press the up arrow on your keyboard to repeat the previous command.
Last edited by monodistortion on Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcallegari

If the documentation is "clearly wrong", why don't you put your effort in improving it rather than leaving information buried in a forum thread?
In the top right part of each documentation page there is an "Edit this page" link. Have you seen it?

To be honest when a guide says "open a terminal", I expect a user to know what the guide is talking about.
Linux users never complained about ./ cause they know how a terminal works.
It seems this is not the case for macOS users.
monodistortion

Sorry I hadn't seen the new documentation since the links above and Google search results I've seen go to the old html documentation.
https://www.qlcplus.org/old/docs/html_e ... eters.html
https://docs.qlcplus.org/v4/advanced/co ... parameters

I would say that 95% or more of Mac users have never used the Terminal since it's not necessary for anything except the most esoteric oddball Unix things. I can't think of a single normal Mac app that requires you to use the Terminal.

If people want to start QLC+ with command line parameters it's probably best to create an AppleScript or Applet with the parameters. That way a novice user can just double click on the Applet to launch QLC+ with any required parameters.