Issues with QLC not driving fixtures smoothly

Generic issues not specifically related to a QLC+ area.
Post here only if you can't really find the reason of an issue
huddster95

Hi all,

I have 2 laptops running qlc+ one is running 4.12.0 and I have just downloaded the latest 4.12.6 onto a newer laptop. When I am running a fixture on the older version on an older laptop the dimming and colour change runs smooth as silk, but when I try and run the same on the new one it stutters and is jumpy. I thought it was my uDMX lead but the same happens the old laptop its perfect the new one jumpy and stutters. iIs there something I'm missing or is it simply as compatibility issue.
janosvitok

Can you please describe your setup? What fixtures, any custom QXF files. How exactly do you dim the fixtures/change colors?
Post QXW file and let us know exact steps.
huddster95

Test.qxw
(1.3 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
I have got 9 QTX SL-H12 Fixtures running 8 channel mode. R,G,B,A,W, master dim, strobe. Have simply opened qlc entered a fixture and tried to run it on simple desk. i have tried different versions of the software, downloaded different drivers for the usb but to no avail.
giacomo

Hi Jake,
maybe have a look here:
https://www.qlcplus.org/docs/html_en_EN ... .html#uDMX
there was a release in the past where some default frequency values have changed, it could be your case.
GGGss

4.12.0 vs 4.12.6 means: a loop whole...
Please try the latest version and report back! -your problem could have been solved months ago
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
huddster95

Hi so haven't been on QLC much lately so did a full download on a newer laptop plugged in 1x chauvet Slimpar56 jumped onto simple desk and still getting the same issue move a fader up or down and instead of a nice smooth fade up to full its jumping up in brightness. Tried 3 different fixtures and the same happens, on my old old laptop though smooth as silk. My old one is on it last legs hence the change but got a big show coming up in 2 months and got lots to prep please help.
GGGss

Since version 4.x.x Massimo introduced multi-threading in the engine. Since your laptop is quite old, it might be that you won't be able to use this. Your uDMX also needs some processing power to get the DMX signal timely fashion. So all adds up to unresponsive behaviour. I would start limiting the DMX frequency and limiting the QLC+ engine speed.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
huddster95

Hi for reference my new laptop is only around 5 years old and is the one that is not functioning properly my old laptop is around 10/11 years old and functioning qlc perfectly. I want to move to the newer laptop as its touchscreen and much faster but can't run shows with fixtures not fading correctly. I have made sure i have the correct drivers installed and only running one fixture to test but no luck.
janosvitok

Few more hints that you may try:
  1. Check power management settings - set Windows to full performance (e.g. never throttle CPU freq), disable USB selective suspend in the device manager (google how).
  2. Check task manager if you spot any CPU usage spikes, and if they correlate to jumpy behavior.You may also try to close all other programs, disable antivirus, etc.
  3. Remove all USB devices connected to the computer except the uDMX converter (slow USB devices may slow down USB bus, fast devices may saturate it.)
  4. Use the old laptop as Artnet-DMX converter:
    1. Connect both laptops to one network, ideally wired (wifi may do, but it's another potential source of problems; cables are more stable).
    2. Connect uDMX to the old laptop, load the file, patch Universe input to artnet, output to uDMX and enable passthrough.
    3. On the new laptop, patch output to artnet.
    Now the lights should react to QLC+ on the new laptop (don't touch the old one, except you may need to enable Operate mode). If the lights do not flicker, the problem is in the USB in the new laptop.
    If they still flicker, the problem is somewhere in the QLC+/laptop...
Jano
huddster95

Hi all so after deleting everything to do this qlc and then installing the latest software., closing down all other apps and windows that are open, and everything else I can think of in still getting the same issues please help I'm at a loss and very quickly running out of time to find a fix. I'm not capping out the cpu or the ram or anything. I have disabled USB selective disable it is just so jumpy i cant use it currently.
GGGss

Jake,
You never replied to this:
https://www.qlcplus.org/docs/html_en_EN ... .html#uDMX
there was a release in the past where some default frequency values have changed, it could be your case.