SEND MIDI FROM REAPER TO QLC+

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
Eddie

Hello everyone !! I'm struggling to send midi commands from a track in Reaper to QLC+ to trigger some scenes in sincro with an audio I have. I would appreciate if someone could help me on that
Thanks !!!!
edogawa

i can tell you how I do that in Linux, it's not too difficult - I just tested again and made sure it works, from a virtual MIDI keyboard program (VMPK) using Pipewire:

Start VMPK (my Reaper substitute in this test setup, but I've sent MIDI notes from Live and QLab4 in the past)
Start QLC+ and load your workspace with cuelist, stay in design mode
In the I/O tab, select Generic MIDI input profile and the correct MIDI input for some unpatched universe
Send the desired MIDI note and check to see the wiggling joystick icon at the right of that universe "bar" - so you're sure the connection works
Go to the Virtual console, open the cuelist's properties, change to "Next Cue" tab
Click "Auto Detect" to open a dialog and send the MIDI note from VMPK again
The 2 text fields above will display what the received data (Input universe, and the correct note name in the Input Channel field)
hit OK to leave the properties, switch to operate mode and test

If needed, do the same for the other remote controls (previous cue, crossfader etc.)

Hope that helps
Last edited by edogawa on Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
hlavsa

Hello, I am using QLC with Reaper regularly and it works pretty well. I have a Reaper track that is sending notes to MIDI device LoopBe1, which is a driver for virtual MIDI cable. QLC is receiving notes from LoopBe1 MIDI device and those notes are triggering functions prepared in QLC. I can prepare the lighting show for the whole song because we are playing live with click a backing tracks. I can also set a BPM timing from Reaper to QLC to set correct speed for light effects. What do you need to help with?
arizonajill

Hi! I have Reaper and QLC as well as Loopbe1 installed. LoopBe1 shows up in Reaper in Midi Output. I have click tracks for all my music. I've got all of my fixtures defined in QLC+. Can you explain how to get QLC to receive the midi data from Reaper? Any assist is greatly appreciated! (It would also make a fine Youtube video.)
Jilly Bean
Eddie

Hi to all !! This is an excellent solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWhJqK2XKW0

See you !!
Rog245

hlavsa wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:03 am Hello, I am using QLC with Reaper regularly and it works pretty well. I have a Reaper track that is sending notes to MIDI device LoopBe1, which is a driver for virtual MIDI cable. QLC is receiving notes from LoopBe1 MIDI device and those notes are triggering functions prepared in QLC. I can prepare the lighting show for the whole song because we are playing live with click a backing tracks. I can also set a BPM timing from Reaper to QLC to set correct speed for light effects. What do you need to help with?
Hi, was just wondering do you have a step-by-step diagram.for setup in reaper , how to send triggers from reaper midi, i have all the above ,
just not enough info on that part , for Reaper
thanks in advance Roger