Hi! I'm going to buy a DMX controller and I need advice.

This is a place for sharing with the community the results you achieved with QLC+, as a sort of use case collection.
You can share photos, videos, personal hardware/software projects, interesting HOWTO that might help other users to achieve great results.
GGGss

What started with a FB post, ended with this here:

Q:
I'd like to buy a PC software equipped (equipped by a USB-DMX interface) but I wonder If this type of system are realiable in order to be used for occasional works or if I should buy a physical dmx console.
Unluckily, I don't have a lot of money to spend, so buying a physical DMX console would mean giving up other features I need (like, for example, the possibility of programming timecoded shows and the 3D simulation of the venue).
Thanks a lot.

A:
Simply try some software... I didn't like Chams (reason: lack of training or lack of knowledge -my fault: #startingasagreenhorn. In the end, I couldn't make peace with the workflow Chams needed and I lacked visual feedback on what is going on - Right Now... etc. My fault for not learning), and took the big leap to GMa2, now 3 ...
Learned it thoroughly, tried it, and spend 10's of hours with it. Its gender changed to Her 😍 and I bought a console. Being a hobby of mine, a very expensive path...

For small rigs dough, I use QLC+ (free)... Runs even on a Raspberry Pi. With 2 midi controllers: a motorized physical faders wing (will come important in your future as LD...) and a 64-touch button (you will train your mind where is what?) midi thing. This learns you the midi language. Essential if you want to use external controllers. The next step will be OSC. But hey... learning is fun? Right?

I'd invest some money into the output side ... EntTec pro mk2 is my favo weapon for a starter. An Artnet to DMX device will give you lessons on the network side of things - which is also very essential...

In regard to 3D sim, IMHO invest in some cheap moving heads. It might be -again- essential. They need to have gobos and a color wheel built into them. Using them, they teach you how to 'feel' slow-moving devices. Depending on the quality of the fixture definition, 90% will not include velocity times... So your beloved timecode show will be ruined because movers can't hold up the programmed pace. Having a small bargained-rig, helps you handle the real-world output speed of movers. You can quicken them up when you have fast movers but you can't slow them down in regard to your timecode show!

This picture I took just now - I'm in the middle of preprogramming a thingy, where runners run through a building and they needed a waaw-factor; I'm using this very cheap rig to get my EFX's right. I will get there, load in, setup and start the show I'm prepping right now. Once operational I will test the speed of the movers and adopt my BPM and EFX-timing to them. The showfile will follow that pace. That is the plan. (And the plan will be wrong for sure -again- sigh...

With the knowledge you gained, learning things, the troubleshooting will become very easy. At that precise time, when you are in trouble -you will be under such pressure, you can't think logically anymore- the brain muscle will sort things out in no time and you will be up and running writing invoices.

That's all folks... old daddy has talked up loudly.
Attachments
2022-09-29 19.32.32-2.jpg
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
GGGss

And it goes on...

Q:
ok, the main reason I need the 3D simulator is to reduce the time I need to spend in the teather before a show. I've often to use some light already placed in the teather (buy they are never moving heads) and I can't use them to program my show at home. But I thinks MIDI, OSC and ArtNET are very important in order to do some complex things

A:
Oh! You are a theatre guy - very nice... Forget the timecode then 😉 #pressingbuttonsintherightpace
Getting the cue's and colors right will be more important... Get yourself a color measuring device. The cheapest one is an Opple device. It will work. With €49 spent, you will bring them beauty onto stage.
3D sim, except for timing etc, will give you a clue. But wait till you see the real action taking place... You will love it.
I am the guy that has something -called an Idea-, and I will go prep, sit down, with my desk, in the environment where things will take place and program. Even at 4am. if it needs to be.
Follow the script, learn in by hard, put 100's of dummy steps inside your main cue-list. Press Go correctly and you are off.
At Technical you HAVE to be READY!
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore