Multiple inputs?

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
n9yty

I searched and didn’t find this requested, but did find a few convoluted (to me) workarounds…

Why are OSC and MIDI mutually exclusive, only one input per universe? What am I missing? Seems like these kinds of controls should be simultaneous and not even tied to a particular universe.

Sorry if I’m missing something basic and important about why it works the way it does, I am new to this arena and QLC+. I jumped in to help the local high school theater program and this package looks like a brilliant fit but would like a MIDI controller on the desk as well as OSC on an iPad.
mcallegari

[moderator] moved to the proper section. Why did you posted this in "fixture requests"?!?

QLC+ 5 allows to assign multiple inputs (from multiple universes) to VC widgets
janosvitok

In other words:

The "unwritten rule" is: In QLC+ you can have as many universes as needed, no limitation. So use one universe for each controller, assign respective input
(and optionally feedback). Use as many output universes as needed for your lights (dmx outputs). Do not mix universes for controllers with universes for lights.

These are not hard rules, there are cases when you want to combine controller + dmx output in one universe, but then you'd better know what you do :)

Then you can control VC widgets from any input universe.

Jano
mcallegari

But in v4 is not possible to control the same VC widgets from multiple controllers (e.g. controller + backup controller)
I guess this is what the OP asked for
n9yty

mcallegari wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:39 am [moderator] moved to the proper section. Why did you posted this in "fixture requests"?!?
Sorry, the dark mode on my screen is very hard to read the blue on black, I meant Feature requests.
QLC+ 5 allows to assign multiple inputs (from multiple universes) to VC widgets
I thought QLC+ 5 was not stable and we were warned away from using it. Sorry.
n9yty

mcallegari wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:37 pm But in v4 is not possible to control the same VC widgets from multiple controllers (e.g. controller + backup controller)
I guess this is what the OP asked for
Yes, this is exactly what I was asking for.
giacomo

@ Jano,
Hi,
could you explain what is the problem by using a controller input and a light output on the same universe?
I've being doing it since the time when qlc+4 had only 4 universes, I didn't know it's wrong.
GGGss

giacomo wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:35 pm @ Jano,
Hi,
could you explain what is the problem by using a controller input and a light output on the same universe?
I've being doing it since the time when qlc+4 had only 4 universes, I didn't know it's wrong.
I'm quite sure that you had a DMX panel and QLC+ working together.
What if the panel would be a MIDI controller or a Raspi-connected-pedal? That would mean that the MIDI controller can directly fire commands to the fixtures?
No No ... I like the unwritten rule.

Back On Topic: in v4 you can only bind one (1) external signal to whatever gimmick.
* I had to DeMux that signal way and way over again
1 -> external signal (A) fires (1) and (2). Works as Designed. You can bind A to those controls.
2 -> external signal (A) fires (1) and (2) + external signal (B) wants (3) to come active
3 -> the pedal (C) ALSO wants to control (1) and the keyboard (D) wants to control (2)
Workaround (DeMux DeMultipliing) now:
in 3: bind (C) to a control that LoopbackS to scene (4) and (5)
-> make sure you do that same procedure for the (A) and (B) signals = setting the (4) channel high!
-> ... DeMux all together = a lot of work...
And we didn't talk about HTP ... in that matter
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore