FLASH Function not releasing on Fog Machine

The issues found when using the Virtual Console
orrinc

I just added a Chauvet Geyser P4 Fog Machine to my system (using the P6 Definition in the Library). I added some Virtual Console buttons and Scenes to control it. The buttons are all set as FLASH functions, so the fog will only be on as long as the button is pressed.

When I press any button, all of the selected channels turn on as expected, but when I release the button, all channels turn off EXCEPT for Channel 1, which is the Fog On button.

Why won't this channel flash? Is it an error in the Fixture Definition in the Library?

I'm running version 4.12.5 on a Windows 10 PC. The qxw file is attached.

Thank you!

Orrin
Attachments
Corazon Performing Arts - 08-25-2022 CURRENT PROGRAM.qxw
(184.46 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
orrinc

It looks like the problem is in the Fixture Library: The Channel is set as an Effect channel, so it does not work with the Flash function.

I changed it to an Intensity channel, and it seems to work properly!

Any suggestions for a better solution? Should the Fixture Definition be changed in the Library? Is there a better Channel Definition for a Fog Machine? (This one has lights and 10 Channels. The Fixture type "Hazer" only has 2 Channels- Pump and Fan)

Thanks!
edogawa

You don't have to change the Fixture definition itself for this. It is done correctly.

We talk about HTP/LTP mode/concept/behaviour, search for that in the forum or web if you have no idea what that is - not always intuitive, normally useful. but sometimes not what you want.

Use the Channel modifier dialog on Fixture Tab, navigate the list to your Fog machine and set the first channel to LTP.

Side note: your first Flash button "Scene1" doesn't do anything in either mode, in the scene it is selected but the level set to 0. Shouldn't it be at 255?
GGGss

I have all my geysers, fazers, slow producing fog, machines in HTP mode. I can control the total outcome and have them puffing the whole evening. When a burst is needed, I override this by the HTP built-in behaviour (using flash).
To the OP: you have flash buttons inside a solo frame ... this is not intended. I would rename the first solo button to 'smoke OFF'. If you change all buttons inside the solo frame to regular ones (and if LTP is in use) your solo frame now makes sence.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
orrinc

Thank you both! That kind of makes sense . . . although it feels like the functionality of the Fog channel should be defined in the Fixture Editor rather than in the Channel Modifier in the specific program. I'll play around with it . . . right now I created a custom fixture with the first channel designated as Intensity, and all seems well . . .

I was still playing around with the scenes when I attached the program- that's why the first scene wasn't doing anything. I was trying to see if creating an "Off" scene would help, but it didn't. It is now set to 255.

Fredje, what is the issue with including flash buttons in a Solo Frame? I guess it's not necessary, but it doesn't seem to have any adverse effect. It doesn't actually "Solo" in the sense that my "FLASH All Lights On" button does not affect the selected background scene when it is released. I left it because it keeps the look of the console nicer . . . also because there doesn't seem to be any way to convert a Solo Frame to a Regular Frame, other than to edit the XML!