New fixtures don't appear in QLC+

The issues found when using the Fixture Manager panel
DeMeek

I use QLC+_4.12.4.

From a tutorial I understood you can create a new fixture with the qlcplus-fixtureeditor.exe (Windows).

Question 1:
When I use that, the new fixture is not shown in QLC+. I can start again, restart, restart Windowx but it never shows up. So what did I do: I downloaded a xml-editor to manual change the FixturesMap.xml file. And when I do that, the new fixture is available in QLC+. But I dont think this is the right way. What am I doing wrong?

By the way: there is no difference if QLC+ is running when I start the fixture editor or not. The new fixtures will never show; only when I use the xml-editor.

Question 2:
The first time (after above) the fixtures are showing and usable. But after saving the project (there is a file created: <name>.qxw), shutting down QLC+ and Windows, the next time I start up Windows and QLC+ and opening <name>.qxw, there is a message showing that there is something wrong loading my new fixtures. QLC+ does see the fixtures, but the functions for each channel are gone. I see only lightbolbs above each channel, but not the function. F.i: when channel 2 is for red, the red works. But the description is not shown.

I am using QLC+ in Windows 11 (Administrator-mode) but I have tried the same on a Windows 10 laptop. And also there I experience the same problems. So I think it is not a Windows version problem.

Can you help me out?
sbenejam

Custom fixtures must be saved in the fixtures directory found in the user's QLC+ directory.

The user folder is where user fixtures, input profiles, RGB scripts and MIDI templates go.
It changes depending on your operating system:
Linux: it is a hidden folder in your user home directory: $HOME/.qlcplus
Windows: it is a folder in your user (e.g. MyUser) directory: C:\Users\MyUser\QLC+
Mac OS: it is located in your user "Library" directory: $HOME/Library/Application\ Support/QLC+
You can reach any of these folders from a terminal with the 'cd' command. For example:

cd $HOME/Library/Application\ Support/QLC+

Please keep in mind that fixures and input profiles found in the user folder will have precedence over the same files in the QLC+ system folder.

Take a look to the QLC+ manual here:
https://www.qlcplus.org/docs/html_en_EN ... ditor.html
and here:
https://www.qlcplus.org/docs/html_en_EN ... swers.html
DeMeek

sbenejam wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:17 am
Windows: it is a folder in your user (e.g. MyUser) directory: C:\Users\MyUser\QLC+

I know. I have seen tutorials. So the new fixture is saved in C:\Users\MyUser\QLC+\fixtures.

The problem is always: When I make a new fixture and a new brand, but also when I create a fixture from the brand Ayra.
DeMeek

Let me explain better:

I start a new project: voorbeeld. I put in fixtures and I save it. I see this:
voorbeeld 1.png
When I start QLC+ again, this shows up:
voorbeeld 2.png
And in the project I now see this:
voorbeeld 3.png
GGGss

Please verify that your custom-built fixtures definitions are found in the right directories: c:\users\[yourname]\QLC+\fixtures.
See Dutch screen-capture here:
ScreenHunter_164 Apr. 17 10.06.png
When you alter a definition or add a new one after using fixture editor, you have to restart QLC+, for it to reload the new content of the definition.

PS: to access the users/xxx/QLC+ directory, you have to change windows to show the hidden directories in your file explorer.
PPS: can you show what you changed to FixturesMaps.xml so they showed up? You will have entered a path to the fixture definition? This is wrong; the file itself should be placed in the above-stated path.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
DeMeek

voorbeeld 4.png
@GGGss: I did.
voorbeeld 5.png
In the fixturemap I copied the line from the Compar 20 (witch was already existing) and changed it.
sbenejam

Put your custom fixture definitions in in your user folder (e.g. MyUser) directory: C:\Users\MyUser\QLC+\fixtures. Please read the manual. Don't touch or edit Fixturesmap.xml.
In the forums there are many posts related to your question. For example:
viewtopic.php?p=60127#p60127
DeMeek

Eventualy I found the solution. When you are in QLC+ and want to add a fixture to a scene, but the fixture is not in the system, then you start (while QLC+ is open to find the fixture!!) the qlcplus-fixtureeditor. Only then the input has value. You give the information, save, shut down qlcplus-fixtureeditor, shut down QLC+ and restart QLC+. And it works! And don't try to put the new fixture in the folder of the manufactuar. Just save in the map QCL+/fixtures and it will work! No logic to me, but when it works, it worls!
GGGss

DeMeek wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:02 am voorbeeld 4.png
This clearly shows that you did not follow the install instructions and QLC+ has been installed inside a 'user' directory. The user name is 31650. This is wrong.
I'd suggest you uninstall QLC+ (with the uninstall.exe inside above directory) and re-install QLC+ to c:\QLC+ or another location -> but not inside the users-directory.

Since windows 8, write rights have been seriously altered and normally a program running does not have sufficient rights to write inside many directories. Therefore the existence of c:\ProgramData (hidden) and c:\users\xxx\AppData (also hidden) are created and do have write rights to them. You have been fooled by running QLC+ as administrator so you didn't notice these write problems in the first place.

If you like we can talk in Dutch - send me a PM.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
Gordon

Using 4.12.3 I have been wrestling with this problem for several days. In desperation I copied all my projects and fixture definitions to another directory and then uninstalled QLC and cleaned up the left overs from the process. I then reinstalled version 4.10.1 AND everything worked, saved definition files now appear in the main program fixture list. There is defintely a weird problem with 4.12.3 in this area.
GGGss

Gordon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:08 am There is defintely a weird problem with 4.12.3 in this area.
I cannot reproduce this problem.
Not even with the test versions.

Where did you install QLC+ into? c:\QLC+ ?
Did you run the installer with 'run as administrator' rights?
Bappoo

I had the same problem, turned out that the fixture was appearing in the list, its just that it takes its name and manufacturer from the first setup screen of the editor program. I couldn't find it because I'd put it into a subfolder of fixtures, expecting that folder name to show up in the list. In the end I just put the file in the user fixtures directory and found it in the list.
jlthla

So FWIW, I run into this issue all the time. I'm creating a fixture in the editor, and save it. This fixture has 8 DMX channels, and the last 4 are Brightness, Red, Green, Blue White. In the editor, I make sure those last 4 channels are set up as the appropriate type/kind, with the colored square icons. I save the fixture. I open the controller, located my fixture, but it only shows 1 DMX channel. If I use the Properties editor in the controller, I can add the other 7 channels, but they all show up as dimmers, not as colors. I can easily work around this issue... I'm just doing some very very very basic LED RGB stuff for the holidays, but regardless, it's frustrating when I think I've done everything right, yet, it still comes out wrong for some reason. It doesn't matter how many times I create a fixture in the editor, how many different names I give it, or where it is stored (always in the default location), sometimes, it just doesn't seem to work in the obvious, logical way I think it should. BUT--no doubt it's just me. Past this issue, the program does EVERYTHING I need it do to, and I am very happy with it, and all the developers should very proud.
MichelSliepenbeek

You could start with running the Fixture Validator on your Fixture Definition: https://www.qlcplus.org/fixture_validator.php
It can help you find most of the basic errors that are made when building your own Fixture definition.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
GGGss

Another hunch I have: if you select the fixture with multiple modes (like 1ch, 3ch and 8ch), you must choose the correct mode of the fixture. Now, it will show you all the capabilities.
ScreenHunter_42 Dec. 12 08.51.gif
jlthla

So when I go thru all the motions, and create a new fixture with all the channels,
1-Name.png
2-Channels.png
Back in the controller, I only have 1 DMX channel showing and I can't add more from here.
3-Controller.png
After I add the fixture, I can go to the Properties for that fixture and add the additional DMX channels, but they all show up as generic dimmers, not what I've specified in the Fixture Editor.

To be CLEAR, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but to me, this is the most obvious and logical way to create and add fixtures, but there must be a step I'm missing or not taking somewhere along the line.
MichelSliepenbeek

You also have to add (at least) 1 mode (on the next tab of the Fixture Editor).

Just call it Standard and add all your Channels in the correct order.
Last edited by MichelSliepenbeek on Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
edogawa

1. Why Type Dimmer in your first tab? I'd choose Color Changer for a not moving LED fixture like this seems to be.

2. You don't show what you did enter on the Modes tab - You need to create a mode that holds the channels you created and puts them in correect order.

Just grab a random LED PAR from the system fixture folder, see brands like Eurolite, Cameo, ADj for more or less complex examples, open it in the editor to see how it's done.
jlthla

Like I said, I'm sure I was doing something wrong. Adding the Modes fixed this problem for me (although I'm pretty sure I had tried that previously but am far from positive).

The first control channel does a bunch of different built in programs, and I couldn't find an icon that was good. I'll never use that channel so just chose something as a placeholder.

Thank you for your help!

I do like this program, as it is both powerful and easy enough for me to get done what I need for the purpose I'm using it for.

Great work all around!