Cue List Widget Customizations

Request a feature that you would like to see in QLC+.
Explain in details why you would need it and which is your usage case.
flyingGoatBoy

Hi, I've been using QLC+ for the small community theatre I volunteer at for 4+ years.

My typical workflow is to create all of the scenes for the play or performance, and then put them all into a cue so I can basically have anyone "run lights" for the show.

That being said, it would be really great if the Cue List widget supported some additional customization.

Please forgive me if there are other ways to accomplish this.

Wish list items:
  • The ability to remove (hide) columns. - Operators don't need to know how long the cue item trasition is (for example)
  • Custom Font selection per row/column - Typically I make the Scene notes in ALL CAPS so the operator notices them, but i would be great if the "notes" column had a different font, or if a row has an important action, we could change the color or make it bold so that the operator knows it is important
  • Separators for the cue - basically a blank item the allows the operator to know where they are in the list (i.e: Act 1, Scene 2) Right now I create blank functions that have zero hold time that accomplish this, but it would be nice if there were something less "hacky" to do this.
  • ability to hide certain rows - we have multiple moving head fixtures that we use during our performances, and occasionally I need to put zero length scenes in place to move them to the correct location. This confuses the operator because from their perspective, it does 2 cue jumps per 1 "next" button push. This then causes them to push "back" which might load the wrong lighting scene. If I could hide the row, it would prevent some confusion
GGGss

flyingGoatBoy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:03 pm Separators for the cue - basically a blank item the allows the operator to know where they are in the list (i.e: Act 1, Scene 2) Right now I create blank functions that have zero hold time that accomplish this, but it would be nice if there were something less "hacky" to do this.
A dummy scene is generally accepted throughout the world, so that will stay.
flyingGoatBoy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:03 pm ability to hide certain rows - we have multiple moving head fixtures that we use during our performances, and occasionally I need to put zero length scenes in place to move them to the correct location. This confuses the operator because from their perspective, it does 2 cue jumps per 1 "next" button push. This then causes them to push "back" which might load the wrong lighting scene. If I could hide the row, it would prevent some confusion
Did you already study the concept of a collection? This solves the above problem. With a collection, you can fire a lot of functions at once.

To the other ideas: in a theatre concept, this could be a nice to have feature.
Well before I got to know QLC+, I misused a home automatisation system to give cue's and go's to backstage, efx, orchestra and the like. This was a play with 120 actors and 45 musicians. And that was 'pfieuw' to get everything in pace.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
flyingGoatBoy

GGGss wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:06 am
flyingGoatBoy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:03 pm Separators for the cue - basically a blank item the allows the operator to know where they are in the list (i.e: Act 1, Scene 2) Right now I create blank functions that have zero hold time that accomplish this, but it would be nice if there were something less "hacky" to do this.
A dummy scene is generally accepted throughout the world, so that will stay.
Fine by me. Just thought that while I was requesting, I may as well give it a shot. We use a sound cue app called "Multiplay" that allows separator elements in the cue and it helps the operators, who usually are not tech savvy at all.
GGGss wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:06 am
flyingGoatBoy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:03 pm ability to hide certain rows - we have multiple moving head fixtures that we use during our performances, and occasionally I need to put zero length scenes in place to move them to the correct location. This confuses the operator because from their perspective, it does 2 cue jumps per 1 "next" button push. This then causes them to push "back" which might load the wrong lighting scene. If I could hide the row, it would prevent some confusion
Did you already study the concept of a collection? This solves the above problem. With a collection, you can fire a lot of functions at once.
Yeah I already use collections, and I could technically just add the "position" scene to the previous collection in the cue to accomplish the same thing. The issue I have with that is then I get a ton of collections that are the same except for the addition or removal of the position scene. (i.e. "Forward Stage bright w/ scene 2 position".)

While It's not terrible, it's a replication of basically the same thing over and over with one minor variation. By Breaking out the "position" element (which is a collection also,) I can keep my collections general enough that I don't need to sort through a ton of them.

Thinking a bit more about it, this might also be helped by the other item in this request: per row font or styling. At least then I could tell the operators to ignore "red" rows or whatever.

Thanks for taking the time for a response.
JimJoiner2

We use qlcplus for the same thing (Cue Lists called "Chasers" with infinite Times) in a Theatre setting. We would like the ability to renumber the Cues. Better yet, keep the same numbers but add Cues in between Cues without re-numbering the whole List. Right now, we put the numbers in the Script and the Director "Calls" the lighting cues based on the numbers in the Script. We would like the ability to add/subtract additional cues in between the numbered cues such as cues for the Follow Spot operators.
GGGss

Jim, Welcome to the forum.

Adding / renumbering / change the sequence of ... I make use of a text editor and open the show file there. It looks like an XML structure. You can quickly alter its content now. Make sure you make a backup though! If you break the structure of the file, you break your project.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
SPS

GGGss wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:07 am Jim, Welcome to the forum.

Adding / renumbering / change the sequence of ... I make use of a text editor and open the show file there. It looks like an XML structure. You can quickly alter its content now. Make sure you make a backup though! If you break the structure of the file, you break your project.
I 'll join this Cuelist widget Customizations because I also uses them in a play session.
I tried to alter the chaser in the XML file, but unfortunately the numbering in the chaser is not used for the numbering in the widget.
Altering the "stepnumber" in the chaser does not change the widget. Pity

Paul