VirMIDI input not working

The issues found when using the Input/Output Manager panel
Mikeynl

Hi,

I am trying to connect MIXXX with qlc+ on an raspberry pi.

Before starting up mixxx and qlc+ i load the snd-virmidi kernel module. That gives 4 virtual midi ports.

I connect Mixxx to that port, and load the midi for light profile. When starting music, i can see with midi monitor that Mixxx started to send values corresponding to the music.

In QLC+ I select the same VirMIDI port as input, and select the Mixxx MIDI profile. Whatever i try, the joystick icon is not showing up.

The same procedure i can do on a windows machine and use loop midi. That works without any problem.

What i tried sofar:
Compiling Mixxx and qlc+ myself.
Open up all permission with udev for the virtal devices.
Fiddle around with Jack

I see QLC+ connecting:

client 24: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-0' [type=kernel,card=2]
0 'VirMIDI 2-0 '
Connecting To: 128:0

I see Mixxx connecting:

client 24: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-0' [type=kernel,card=2]
0 'VirMIDI 2-0 '
Connecting To: 128:0, 129:3[real:0]
Connected From: 129:2

client 129: 'Client-129' [type=user,pid=9215]
2 'port-2 '
Connecting To: 24:0
3 'port-3 '
Connected From: 24:0[real:0]

Anyone some extra insights. Or how i can debug problem better. For me it feels QLC is connecting to the port, but not really opening it.

Note to admin. I paid for the rpi images. The paypal adress differs from this adres. If needed can clarify it with a pm.
Mikeynl

Added an external usb midi and tried to create a hardware loop. Also zero input in QLC+

Recompiled to have option -d0 enabled. Absolute no information.
mcallegari

First off: Windows and Linux are different OSes. You're comparing apples with pears here.
Second: not everyone is aware of every possible setup on this planet. What you're doing is an advanced usage and as such it requires advanced skills, especially since you're dealing with Linux. I would try to ask also in the mixxx forums and see if anyone has used virtual midi ports on Linux with mixxx.
Also, I would try the configuration on a Linux PC first, which is more agile to debug.
The only thing I know is that QLC+ uses ALSA for MIDI on Linux. I've never used this snd-virmidi kernel module before, so I'm not sure if it is compatible.
Recompiled how? where? which sources? Are you aware that tagged/released sources have debug disabled?
You should build upstream sources or enable debug. Everything is written in the build instructions on github
Mikeynl

mcallegari wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:52 am First off: Windows and Linux are different OSes. You're comparing apples with pears here.
Second: not everyone is aware of every possible setup on this planet. What you're doing is an advanced usage and as such it requires advanced skills, especially since you're dealing with Linux. I would try to ask also in the mixxx forums and see if anyone has used virtual midi ports on Linux with mixxx.
Also, I would try the configuration on a Linux PC first, which is more agile to debug.
The only thing I know is that QLC+ uses ALSA for MIDI on Linux. I've never used this snd-virmidi kernel module before, so I'm not sure if it is compatible.
Recompiled how? where? which sources? Are you aware that tagged/released sources have debug disabled?
You should build upstream sources or enable debug. Everything is written in the build instructions on github

Hi,
mcallegari wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:52 am First off: Windows and Linux are different OSes. You're comparing apples with pears here.
What i ment is that i followed the same routes on both with the same steps.
mcallegari wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:52 am Second: not everyone is aware of every possible setup on this planet. What you're doing is an advanced usage and as such it requires advanced skills, especially since you're dealing with Linux. I would try to ask also in the mixxx forums and see if anyone has used virtual midi ports on Linux with mixxx.
Yes, and thats why i seek for help. Mixxx is doing his job without any problem. I can see when connecting to the midi port the raw values. Same values on the windows mini monitor. Connecting qlc+ to the same port gives me the idea it connect, but doesnt read the port.

I spent allready quite alot of time in this, before opening this post.
mcallegari wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:52 am Recompiled how? where? which sources? Are you aware that tagged/released sources have debug disabled?
Compiled new deb packages on a rpi, used the git source, jumped to the release version that is identical as the provided rpi packages.

Yes i am aware of the disabled debug parts. Enabled them, edited the build script, to get a working rpi deb package.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12024 Dec 29 14:47 qlcplus_4.12.4_armhf.buildinfo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6475 Dec 29 14:47 qlcplus_4.12.4_armhf.changes
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8639748 Dec 29 14:47 qlcplus_4.12.4_armhf.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 871 Dec 29 14:16 qlcplus_4.12.4.dsc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10892367 Dec 29 14:16 qlcplus_4.12.4.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20576 Dec 29 14:46 qlcplus-dbg_4.12.4_armhf.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 240168 Dec 29 14:46 qlcplus-dbgsym_4.12.4_armhf.deb
Mikeynl

This one:

The only thing I know is that QLC+ uses ALSA for MIDI on Linux.

Will be start digging deeper in it ! Thank you.

Found this, will bite in it :-)

The snd-virmidi driver is a bridge between ALSA sequencer ports and OSS MIDI ports.

To get loopback ports (that send back what they receive), use the snd-seq-dummy driver. It's loaded automatically; you already have the "Midi Through Port".
Last edited by Mikeynl on Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.