Build howto with homebrew, and running with dylibs

awwright

I'm trying to mod QLC+ for my own use, but I'm new to Qt and I find the build documentation isn't straightforward. I normally use Gentoo and I'm comfortable building programs.

I'd like to add some things to the wiki, however there doesn't seem to be a way to edit the wiki or submit a PR for it.

In https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/w ... -build-Qt5:

Homebrew Dependencies

The dependencies may be installed with Homebrew:

Code: Select all

brew install libftdi libusb libusb-compat ola qt@5
Running (without installing)

If I try to run qlc-plus without installing, I get a strange runtime error like "Undefined symbol _ZN9WebAccessC1EP3DocP14VirtualConsoleP10SimpleDeskib7QStringP7QObject". This seems to be because qlc-plus is loading the shared libraries installed on the system, and not the ones that I built. If I run `make install` this solves the problem, but I shouldn't have to do this for every build. How can I run qlc-plus and have it default to search for the newly-built shared libraries? e.g. which value of LIBRARY_PATH am I looking for? The built shared libraries seem to be scattered all over the place.

I have this problem on macOS 12.0.1 and Ubuntu 21.10, can you please explain this on the wiki pages?
awwright

I ended up going through all of the *.so files that `make install` installs, and replacing them with a symlink to their sources. That seems to be the easiest way to do this, since setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't get searched for plugins.

This is best done by overriding the command used to install the shared libraries:

Code: Select all

sudo make QINSTALL_PROGRAM='ln -srf' install
Last edited by awwright on Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcallegari

I'm not sure what is the goal of this post...
The build instructions for macOS makes usage of MacPorts, not homebrew.
Last time I attempted to build with homebrew there was such a mess with the Qt libraries, so I gave up.
What you're experiencing could be that.

Nevertheless I'm gonna give it another spin, since all of the CI system use brew and not macports.
awwright

The goal is to edit the building instructions wiki page with some details that people might find useful.

I use Homebrew pretty extensively and `make; make install` worked out-of-the-box for me.

What didn't work is that `make` doesn't build the shared libraries in a place where QLC+ scans for them. So I had a crash with either (1) a newer QLC+ core trying to load older, incompatible shared libraries, or (2) no inputs/outputs show up because no plugins at all are loaded. (There's one line of code where this causes a crash, if a show file refers to a plugin that does not exist. I'll have a PR for this soon.)

How do you normally develop without `make install`? I'm hoping the wiki can describe this, too.
mcallegari

macOS works with bundles, not like Linux.
When you do make install (at least with macports), Qt creates a bundle (~/QLC+.app) and fill it with the necessary libraries.
However, the really hard task is performed by the scripts in platforms/macos, which relocates all the links to local libraries within the bundle with a tool named 'nametool'.
This is a sort of magic necessary on macOS to create a self contained bundle.
How do you normally develop without `make install`? I'm hoping the wiki can describe this, too.
Indeed I do make install, but everything goes into the bundle and is linked correctly. So basically I launch binaries inside the bundle or if I'm not interested in debug messages, I simply double click the bundle.